Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 21, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,667 of 2,698
Blame the DAP manufacturers for not respecting the standards because they go cheap with card readers and don't use the models with full exFAT compatibility. Because you have to pay Microsoft the dime to use exFAT, which manufacturers are too greedy to do.
You could also put some of that blame on Google for only supporting FAT32 in the Android OS and not adding ExFAT support. You are correct though, manufacturers can code in ExFAT support using third party libraries. It is something we are looking into adding in the future, but no ETA.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,668 of 2,698
Sorry @GiacomoHoldini been on vacation until this morning and was trying to get some responses in when I had some free time. Here is a bit more detailed explanation regarding FAT32 vs. ExFAT on our players.

FAT32 supports storage devices up to 2TB, so not a problem formatting the 400GB microSD cards and 512GB full sized SD cards. Android natively supports FAT32, which is why it is recommended to use cards formatted as FAT32. ExFAT is developed and licensed by Microsoft, and supposed to be compatible and built upon FAT32. Some Android phone manufacturers are licensing from Microsoft and supporting ExFAT, but it is through third-party libraries added into Android, which always can add in a layer of issues since it is not natively a part of Android.

There have been a number of requests from uses to add official ExFAT support and it is something our software development team is looking into. Of course, there are always possible issues or potential problems that can arise from adding in third-party libraries that are not natively supported in Android that could affect playback or operation so it is something that we look at closely.

Thanks for the reply. The advantages of exFAT notwithstanding, I don't mind formatting in FAT32. I just didn't know to do it. As I said, I know it is mentioned in the manual, but almost as an aside. Considering it would seem to be the cause - and an easily-remedied one at that - of the corruption issues reported by so many members here, it seems reasonable that you might highlight it nearer the beginning of the user guide, and "strongly" suggest it as something akin to a requirement, rather than an optional trouble-shooting method. Just a thought.

Thanks again for the formatting tip. Still no problems since the reformat of both cards. Hopefully that will continue.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #1,670 of 2,698
20180621_182916.jpg
since i reformatted my cards inside the kann and used the forced re-scan feature i haven't had issues either. i add music daily and everything seems to be working well - knock on wood.
Very weird that I am quoted. User m8o, I, never said that. I dont have this (but want it). No issue or big deal. Just weird. LoL

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,671 of 2,698
I know the answer to this question is probably a "no," but let . me ask it anyway, just in case. Is it possible at all to download music files from TIDAL onto the KANN for offline playback, as one can do for the iphone or Android devices? (I wonder if one can count the KANN as an "Android device" in this sense)

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,672 of 2,698
I know the answer to this question is probably a "no," but let . me ask it anyway, just in case. Is it possible at all to download music files from TIDAL onto the KANN for offline playback, as one can do for the iphone or Android devices? (I wonder if one can count the KANN as an "Android device" in this sense)

No Tidal downloads not possible in Kann for offline listening. The android os installed has restricted usage in Kann and th4 not possible. cheers

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #1,673 of 2,698
Hey, I can dig your predicament. Having all this music and not being able to fit it all in the palm of one's hand. What you need is a large external hard drive for storage and then transfer the music you really love onto the KANN. I know, it's hard to pick and choose. I have 4tb's of flac and dsd and sometimes I can't figure out what's in there. I find it best to browse my library on the laptop with roon. Roon is great as it gives suggestions of similar albums I may have in my library but could have overlooked. This way I get to pick my way through 4000 albums and rediscover my music. I suppose you could use jriver or mediamonkey as well but they are clunkers in comparison to roon.
As for mp3, you are going to be unhappy with them in time. I know, I tried the same game with my first ak300 with files ripped to 512 kbps aac. It took me a week to go back to lossless.

Hope your battery woes get sorted out.
Hey, I can dig your predicament. Having all this music and not being able to fit it all in the palm of one's hand. What you need is a large external hard drive for storage and then transfer the music you really love onto the KANN. I know, it's hard to pick and choose. I have 4tb's of flac and dsd and sometimes I can't figure out what's in there. I find it best to browse my library on the laptop with roon. Roon is great as it gives suggestions of similar albums I may have in my library but could have overlooked. This way I get to pick my way through 4000 albums and rediscover my music. I suppose you could use jriver or mediamonkey as well but they are clunkers in comparison to roon.
As for mp3, you are going to be unhappy with them in time. I know, I tried the same game with my first ak300 with files ripped to 512 kbps aac. It took me a week to go back to lossless.

Hope your battery woes get sorted out.

Yes the mp3's did not work out so back to the drawing board.Some sounded great but others sounded like not so good :)

I did a FLAC compression to all my FLAC files and gained GB's of extra space which now holds all my new tunes.So now as I get new cd's I will have to make room by deleting a file.

Turns out the battery drain is normal,about 20% usage for a hours,give or take a few minutes,worth of playing using balanced with Senn HD800.

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,674 of 2,698
Hello @JasonNYC.
Tidal stopped working for me on my Kann just recently. I mean, the app starts, it lets me search for music etc. but as soon as I try to play a stream, it has a red banner on the top of the screen that says "Playback error "User trying to get streamurl does not have a valid session". My Tidal subscription works just fine from my other devices (iPhone, Mac, etc.). The Tidal version installed is the latest.. Was working perfectly earlier. This is frustrating to say the least. Any ideas? See image below

20180623_135259.jpg

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,676 of 2,698
Hello @JasonNYC.
Tidal stopped working for me on my Kann just recently. I mean, the app starts, it lets me search for music etc. but as soon as I try to play a stream, it has a red banner on the top of the screen that says "Playback error "User trying to get streamurl does not have a valid session". My Tidal subscription works just fine from my other devices (iPhone, Mac, etc.). The Tidal version installed is the latest.. Was working perfectly earlier. This is frustrating to say the least. Any ideas? See image below

20180623_135259.jpg
Log out of Tidal and log back in. To logout, in the Tidal app, go to settings and the last option is log out.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 23, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #1,677 of 2,698
Why can't Google add Btrfs file system in android? It's GPL.
In Wikipedia file system comparison table, the Btrfs stand out like strong system.
It supports cards up to size 18446744073 gigabyte with max file size 18446744073 gigabyte.
Maximum number of files is 18446744073709551616.

Why do we have to support Microsoft with this fat32 system now when some video cameras record raw 4k video at 270 MB/s (15 second file limit).

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #1,678 of 2,698
Log out of Tidal and log back in. To logout, in the Tidal app, go to settings and the last option is log out.
Tks. That helped

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,679 of 2,698
Hi
I need some advice on the best way to covert individual tracks from Audio DVD or DVD-A that can be played by the Kann. The tracks that I want to convert are the 5.1 mixes that differ from the 2 channel version.

The audio files are embedded in .VOB but when converted to uncompressed FLAC in foobar they are not recognised by the Kann.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back