Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,681 of 2,698
You have to downmix 5.1 to 2 channels.
Thanks for the reply. This makes sense if the Kann cannot play 5.1. Can you suggest any free software that will enable this conversion without losing sound quality. Foobar plays the 5.1 vob file but I don't think it can create a downmixed flac or WAV file. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,683 of 2,698
Thanks for the reply. This makes sense if the Kann cannot play 5.1. Can you suggest any free software that will enable this conversion without losing sound quality. Foobar plays the 5.1 vob file but I don't think it can create a downmixed flac or WAV file. Any suggestions? Thanks

To get the audio out of the VOB file I use "DVD Audio Extractor". There's a fully functional 30 day trial version.
www.dvdae.com

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,685 of 2,698
the dvd audio extractor will extract dvd audio to any format, but it does not convert already made files.

if you're on a mac, i highly recommend MediaHuman -- this will allow you to do any conversion you can think off (it doesn't do ISO). you can also try xld converter, but i now use MediaHuman 100% and can't stand xld.

To get the audio out of the VOB file I use "DVD Audio Extractor". There's a fully functional 30 day trial version.
www.dvdae.com

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,686 of 2,698
I've recently upgraded from Onkyo DP-X1 to a Kann, unfortunately the DP-X1 was on it's way out after 2 years of constant use; it was a great player but suffered from inferior build quality where the headphone and USB ports were starting to become inoperable.

So I decided to demo the Kann, liked what i heard and took the plunge.

So far, I am really pleased with my purchase, the Kann is a completely different DAP to the DP-X1, which was a "jack of all trades" player in terms of sound quality and functionality (mainly the fact that it was possible to download 3rd party apps from Google Play Store) whereas the Kann is completely locked-down when it comes to downloading 3rd party apps, so whilst i lost a lot of features I was prepared to trade the this on the basis of sound quality alone.

I am not saying anything to detriment the sound quality of the DP-X1, but with the Kann the sound really opens up, I find the clarity, separation and airiness mind blowing and it is taking a bit of getting used to. But I feel the Kann has a lot more in the tank in terms of amperage and getting the most optimum sound experience, therefore I am contemplating whether I also need to upgrade my headphones to get the most out of it.

I am playing FLAC files (16/44 up to 24/192 quality) and using the following headphones:
- Meze 99 Classics
- Beoplay H6 (2nd Gen)
- Audeze iSine 10
- Philips Fidelio X2HR
- Bowers & Wilkins PX

I have being doing some research on a range of different headphones, e.g. Focal Elear, Audeze LCD-2, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open & Closed, Audioquest Night Owl to name but a few.

But nothing is jumping out on me to justify upgrading, therefore I would appreciate any feedback on whether:

1) I should stick with what I have got already

or
2) Are there any alternative headphone upgrade recommendations in the sub $1000 category (I cannot afford anything more, unfortunately :confounded:).

Many thanks in advance - Matt :)

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,689 of 2,698
I've recently upgraded from Onkyo DP-X1 to a Kann, unfortunately the DP-X1 was on it's way out after 2 years of constant use; it was a great player but suffered from inferior build quality where the headphone and USB ports were starting to become inoperable.

So I decided to demo the Kann, liked what i heard and took the plunge.

So far, I am really pleased with my purchase, the Kann is a completely different DAP to the DP-X1, which was a "jack of all trades" player in terms of sound quality and functionality (mainly the fact that it was possible to download 3rd party apps from Google Play Store) whereas the Kann is completely locked-down when it comes to downloading 3rd party apps, so whilst i lost a lot of features I was prepared to trade the this on the basis of sound quality alone.

I am not saying anything to detriment the sound quality of the DP-X1, but with the Kann the sound really opens up, I find the clarity, separation and airiness mind blowing and it is taking a bit of getting used to. But I feel the Kann has a lot more in the tank in terms of amperage and getting the most optimum sound experience, therefore I am contemplating whether I also need to upgrade my headphones to get the most out of it.

I am playing FLAC files (16/44 up to 24/192 quality) and using the following headphones:
- Meze 99 Classics
- Beoplay H6 (2nd Gen)
- Audeze iSine 10
- Philips Fidelio X2HR
- Bowers & Wilkins PX

I have being doing some research on a range of different headphones, e.g. Focal Elear, Audeze LCD-2, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open & Closed, Audioquest Night Owl to name but a few.

But nothing is jumping out on me to justify upgrading, therefore I would appreciate any feedback on whether:

or
2) Are there any alternative headphone upgrade recommendations in the sub $1000 category (I cannot afford anything more, unfortunately :confounded:).

I have been using the Audeze LCD-X with my Kann, and it plays very nicely with the KANN, making the "clarity, separation, and airiness" you mention, shine in all their glory. Nowadays, it is easy to pick up a great pre-owned one on the used market for under $1000, if buying "used, but great" is okay with you. If you need brand new for under a grand, then you might want to consider the Massdrop Focal Elex (for $799) too, which has been very well reviewed. See this thread, and especially the review of @project86, who mentions how well the Elex pairs with the KANN :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-measurements.867615/

I should note that I am not familiar with the list of headphones you already have, so these recommendations are not made on the basis of a comparative evaluation, in that sense.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,690 of 2,698
I have been using the Audeze LCD-X with my Kann, and it plays very nicely with the KANN, making the "clarity, separation, and airiness" you mention, shine in all their glory. Nowadays, it is easy to pick up a great pre-owned one on the used market for under $1000, if buying "used, but great" is okay with you. If you need brand new for under a grand, then you might want to consider the Massdrop Focal Elex (for $799) too, which has been very well reviewed. See this thread, and especially the review of @project86, who mentions how well the Elex pairs with the KANN :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-measurements.867615/

I should note that I am not familiar with the list of headphones you already have, so these recommendations are not made on the basis of a comparative evaluation, in that sense.

Thanks @sahmen i really appreciate this feedback, I will keep a lookout for offers on the Audeze LCD-X. In terms of the Massdrop Focal Elex, I was interested in buying a set of these a while back when Massdrop did their initial "drop", but unfortunately they do not ship to Europe which is strange considering it is a French company. Maybe it's because they have just launched the Clear and don't want to confuse any potential buyers. I did trial a pair of Focal Elear quite a while back and found them extremely energetic and detailed, probably too energetic for my liking and would prefer something a bit more laid back and neutral, although I would be interested to hear how the Elex measures up against them.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #1,691 of 2,698
about two weeks i've upgraded from the onkyo DP-S1 to the KANN, but i actually *downgraded* on my primary iems.

i used to listen to everything through my IE800 and on a whim ended up picking up the Ibasso T1 and a balanced cable for it and have been using it non-stop on the kann and i absolutely love the combo. the music is just more enjoyable to me, i listened a few times to the IE800 but honestly i'm willing to give up maybe 2% in details somewhere to the more pleasant sound that i get with the T1 and this player.

my other 'home' rig is sony z7, balanced, but i honestly haven't even touched these yet because i like the iem combo so much. so my point to you would be try everything that you have right no and figure out what you don't like. also, even though your budget is pretty high don't be afraid to consider some cheaper options as you may be very happily surprised in performance and value that you get.

or

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,692 of 2,698
about two weeks i've upgraded from the onkyo DP-S1 to the KANN, but i actually *downgraded* on my primary iems.

i used to listen to everything through my IE800 and on a whim ended up picking up the Ibasso T1 and a balanced cable for it and have been using it non-stop on the kann and i absolutely love the combo. the music is just more enjoyable to me, i listened a few times to the IE800 but honestly i'm willing to give up maybe 2% in details somewhere to the more pleasant sound that i get with the T1 and this player.

my other 'home' rig is sony z7, balanced, but i honestly haven't even touched these yet because i like the iem combo so much. so my point to you would be try everything that you have right no and figure out what you don't like. also, even though your budget is pretty high don't be afraid to consider some cheaper options as you may be very happily surprised in performance and value that you get.

You make a valid point @IridiumEagle, I've got plenty of amps and headphones to choose from so I will experiment further!

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #1,693 of 2,698
is anyone actually getting anywhere around the quoted/advertised 16hours of playback time? i'm coming in more around 10, maybe 12, essentially have to charge every two days after lots of listening through the day, all aiff files with maybe 10% dsd play, screen off pretty much unless i'm browsing around.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,694 of 2,698
is anyone actually getting anywhere around the quoted/advertised 16hours of playback time? i'm coming in more around 10, maybe 12, essentially have to charge every two days after lots of listening through the day, all aiff files with maybe 10% dsd play, screen off pretty much unless i'm browsing around.
I use my KANN about an hour or so a day,give or take,and that's about 20% per day .On balanced with Senn HD800.I charge about every 4 days.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #1,695 of 2,698
I use mine in the car playing all day from 8:30-5pm with the screen, Bluetooth and wifi off and it usually drops to around 40-50%. So i would say I’m getting pretty close to 16hrs from the battery. Most of my files are ALAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back