Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 3, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,621 of 2,698
Hi sanfu1. Thank you so much for taking time to check out the DAC/MTP switching. I have finally been able to get the Kann to operate as a DAC. However my unit doesn't stay on the DAC setting as you have indicated. Each time I select the DAC option, either on the pull-down screen or via the settings icon, I am requested to connect to a media source and then it reverts back to the MTP setting. However, I tried again and attached the cable to my PC and it finally recognised ithe Kann - indicating DSD at the top of the screen (this must indicate the last frack that was selected). I am using foobar and after selecting the Kann AISO Audio Driver it works!

I have tried a few sample tracks using the Kann as the DAC connected to my PC and I notice some clicks (like slight scratches on vinyl). These clicks are not present when I play the same tracks from the Kann's internal storage or the inserted SD card. What are the optimum settings in foobar. Once again any advice is greatly appreciated.
The clicking scratchy issue could very well be the usb cable. Are you using any adapters? I have a newish windows 10 machine with only usb c ports. When I was using a A to c converter plug for my usb cable there was a lot of noise. I changed it to a c ( computer end) to micro ( kann side) cable and the issue went away. Good ol Amazon.

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,622 of 2,698
The clicking scratchy issue could very well be the usb cable. Are you using any adapters? I have a newish windows 10 machine with only usb c ports. When I was using a A to c converter plug for my usb cable there was a lot of noise. I changed it to a c ( computer end) to micro ( kann side) cable and the issue went away. Good ol Amazon.

Thank for the advice. I will try a different USB port and and cable to see if that eradicates the issue. I am running Win7 54.

I am still stuck on the DAC/MTP switching problem- I need to know whether or not there is a fault with my Kann. I assume this would be be a software issue . I have updated to the latest firmware.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,623 of 2,698
Could my issue of songs on albums being in the wrong order be caused by JRiver?

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,624 of 2,698
Could my issue of songs on albums being in the wrong order be caused by JRiver?
Did you rip the songs from CDs using JRiver? if so, then sure. The database they use is not infallible. If you're using folder view, then all you would need to do is rename each track to add a number at the start of each track's name to put them in the correct order. However, renaming will not affect the file's tag, For that, you would need to use a tagging program. I like MP3Tag.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,625 of 2,698
Hello again,
Still not bought a balanced cable.
I read somewhere that balanced cable must be used between 2 devices that are expected to work as balance, which the MSR7 isn't, I think.
Then the cable wouldn't change the quality of the sound, what do you believe ?
Thanks.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #1,626 of 2,698
Tell me HOW I can get balanced cables for my KANN for listening with my Cavalli Liquid Carbon?

There are many options on Ebay. Check it out.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #1,627 of 2,698
No difference, regardless of format or file location. It sounds like the player is doing a "soft start," where it very quickly (like, fractions of a second) fades in as the track starts, but this can cut off the beginnings of tracks where the audio starts within that fade-up time. I looked to see if there's a setting that would disable the feature - assuming it is a feature, and not a glitch or a defect - but I can't find any.

I never faced this problem so far of the song fading at the start.

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #1,630 of 2,698

Thanks lithrai!
It's still difficult to choose:) While they love KANN's sound and UI, it still lacks some important features for me - ability to use Deezer Hi-Fi or, at least, offline mode for Tidal.
At the other side, you can tweak iBasso and get all those features, but I'm not sure about its sound (now I use iFi iDSD Micro to drive Amiron, it sounds great).

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,631 of 2,698
Hello again,
I read somewhere that balanced cable must be used between 2 devices that are expected to work as balance, which the MSR7 isn't, I think.
Thanks.

The MSR7 can't run balanced, like most headphones with a single connection on one of the cups (few exceptions like the Fostex T60RP). Unless you mod it.
Most of the time, balanced brings more power to the cans (most balanced out have higher power than SE outpouts, but it's not always the case),Some say it enhances intrument separation soundstage, resolution, but to my opinions it does it on very subtle level, unless you have very well trained ears you won't notice much of a difference.

Jun 11, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,632 of 2,698
Due to it's powerful amp, I think the Kann is an excellent player to test with balanced vs. SE cables. I hear a very noticeable improvement with the balanced output when using my Focal Clears and my Shure SE846.
On my previous DAP (Onkyo DP-X1) that had a weaker amp I only noticed an improvement with the SE846 IEMs. Both my HE-400S and Clears sounded the same whether balanced or SE. It was this reason I kept the Kann over the Onkyo.

For a Kann owner, if your cans support balanced, I think it's worth a try.

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,635 of 2,698
Hello again,
Thanks.
You're right: you have to use a balanced cable and connectors when plugging your headphones into a balanced source. It would not be possible otherwise, since the connectors won't be compatible.

Objectively, the Kann has greater output power in balanced output than in single-ended output when in high-gain mode: the output power is 4 Vrms in single-ended; the power in balanced is 7 Vrms. (In normal gain mode, the output power is the same for both single-ended and balanced output). That's the reason I opt to use a balanced cable for the HD650 with the Kann. I found that in single-ended, I had difficulty getting the Kann to drive the HD650 loudly enough if I was using custom EQ (which automatically lowers total gain to compensate for any increase in a given frequency band) in combination with a quietly-mastered source, such as a file ripped from an SACD. Using the balanced connection provides enough output to get the volume where I want it. That's got nothing to do with subjective factors of sound quality, but objective factors of output power for a relatively hard-to-drive set of cans, which I can easily assess.

With earphones that are easier to drive, things become more subjective and harder to assess. The Kann drives the IE800S just fine in normal gain, so there's no benefit going balanced from the standpoint of power. The only issue is one of sound quality. Without the ability to do a true A-B comparison, I can't really say if the IE800S sounds better in balanced than in single-ended. I think it might sound slightly more smooth using a balanced connection, but I can't rule out placebo effect. At a minimum, I don't think it sounds worse with a balanced connection, so I opt for balanced just because I can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back