Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #1,606 of 2,698
Can I ask you how you removed the SD cards from the Kann? Did you use the "dis-mount" option in the menu, or did you turn the Kann off and then remove the card?
Turned off, then removed; left the player off until cards were reinserted, then restarted. This was both times. I'm curious to see if "safely removing" the cards while the unit is on makes a difference, but if it doesn't, I'm going to have reformat and re-transfer again. That's quite a process, so I'm going to have to wait until I have time to do that.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,607 of 2,698
Turned off, then removed; left the player off until cards were reinserted, then restarted. This was both times. I'm curious to see if "safely removing" the cards while the unit is on makes a difference, but if it doesn't, I'm going to have reformat and re-transfer again. That's quite a process, so I'm going to have to wait until I have time to do that.

Boy, that's disconcerting. What's the brand of SD card?

I just read this article on the photo site Petapixel about counterfeit Sandisk SD cards still being sold on Amazon. Usually through the "fulfilled by Amazon" method where a 3rd party actually ships the item. I've bought most of my cards from Amazon, so now I'm wondering what I actually may have?

https://petapixel.com/2018/05/31/beware-amazon-still-sells-counterfeit-memory-cards/

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,608 of 2,698
Mine are SanDisk as well. One is a SanDisk Ultra 256GB microSDXC UHS-I card. The other is a SanDisk Extreme Pro 512 GB SDXC UHS-I card. Amazon was the actual seller for both, not just the fulfiller, so I think that lessens the chances of them being fake. Besides which, they actually do work. I have not had a single problem using them in my PC. Even after the Kann says they're damaged, they load and run in my PC just fine. And as long as I only do a single transfer after formatting them, prior to inserting them in the Kann, and don't remove them again, they work in the Kann without a hitch. It's only the removal, new data transfer and reinsertion that's causing the problem, so I'm thinking this is a quirk with the Kann FW.

I'd take a look at my cards to see if they have any fake identifiers, but that would require actually removing them from the device, and well, you know...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,609 of 2,698
Mine are SanDisk as well. One is a SanDisk Ultra 256GB microSDXC UHS-I card. The other is a SanDisk Extreme Pro 512 GB SDXC UHS-I card. Amazon was the actual seller for both, not just the fulfiller, so I think that lessens the chances of them being fake. Besides which, they actually do work. I have not had a single problem using them in my PC. Even after the Kann says they're damaged, they load and run in my PC just fine. And as long as I only do a single transfer after formatting them, prior to inserting them in the Kann, and don't remove them again, they work in the Kann without a hitch. It's only the removal, new data transfer and reinsertion that's causing the problem, so I'm thinking this is a quirk with the Kann FW.

I'd take a look at my cards to see if they have any fake identifiers, but that would require actually removing them from the device, and well, you know...

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #1,610 of 2,698
I had the same problem as GiacomoHoldini.

I have the 400 GB Scandisk microSD and the 525 GB Scandisk Extreme Pro SD card. I bought them both from B&H in New York. I have reformatted them numerous times, I have taken them out by dis-mount and or by turning the Kann off and then removing them.

It doesn’t seem to matter, once Kann says they are corrupted, I need to do a reformat. I also have a couple of 125 GB micro cards that always worked without a problem. The other day one of them also said corrupted and need to be reformatted.

I have reloaded taking a few days with the Kann, having no problem, when using the PC and USB 3.0, I sometimes get a problem.

I think that if I need to add anything to my cards then I will also have to reformat.

I presently have 474 GB of tunes on my 525 GB showing 2.17 GB left. I won’t use anymore or try to reformat it again.

I presently have 292 GB on my 400 micro GB with the Kann saying 80.1 GB left. I will probably have to reformat this card again.

I know it seems like a pain but when I have it running properly I am very happy with the sound.

With the internal I still have 56 GB left. I plan on only using DSD on it.

I bought the Kann in June last year, Its doing great for me.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,611 of 2,698
...when using the PC and USB 3.0, I sometimes get a problem.
Do you mean USB C? I wasn't aware the Kann had a USB 3.0 connection. Or are you talking about using the USB 3.0 port on your PC? Do you notice any difference between whether you connect the Kann to a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port, in terms of whether the card corrupts? I wasn't paying attention to which ports I used on my PC, since I figured the Kann limits everything to USB 2.0 speed. As I mentioned, so far I have not had any corruption problems by adding files using the USB connection with the cards already in the device. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Like you, I'm quite pleased with the device overall, notwithstanding this quirk, as well as the microsecond "soft start" at the beginnings of tracks. That doesn't mean they're not annoying. A&K would be doing us a solid by fixing them with FW updates.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #1,612 of 2,698
I have a (d-link with 4 ports) connected to a USB 3. It’s a USB 3 but it can run USB 2. I also have a USB 3 (j5create 3 ports & an internet port). They both connect to the USB 3.

On my portable Computer an ASUS I have 2 USB 3 ports & 1 USB-C port.

When connecting I use what I thought was the (Blue) USB -3 to USB-C to the KANN.

Or I take out the cards and use the card reader on the computer which is much faster. I use the SD card reader and the SD adapter for the microSD to put my music back on the cards.

I use the SD Formatter from Tuxera Inc. which is supposed to be better than using the Microsoft windows formatter.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #1,613 of 2,698
Hi guys! Thinking about buying KANN, but still can't figure out some things.
For now I have Beyerdynamic Amiron Home + iFi micro iDSD (Macbook as a transport). I'm pretty happy with the sound I get, but I'd like to get rid of Macbook in this chain - just leave the DAP and HP.

So my question is for happy owners of KANN, who also have iFi iDSD:

Using KANN + Amiron (250 ohms) with Balanced connection, can I get at least the same sound (or better?) as I can get with iFi + Amiron using Unbalanced connection? Very curious about what can I get from my Beyers with balanced connection. Or it's better to get some cheaper DAP just for transport, and use it as a combo with iFi? I'm not looking for portable setup, so size/weight doesn't matter.

Thanks.
Hi blackyangell. From my impressions so far, the Kann provides a similar listening experience to the idsd but this is based on using AKG K702 headphones which aren't balanced. Your Amiron cans may yield more of difference between the two set ups. The idsd gives more more weight possibly because of the higher output. The Kann is much easier to set up and is obviously more portable the the Mac/idsd. A cheaper DAP connected to the idsd may give similar results to the Kann/idsd combo but you need to consider the Kann's particular attributes over cheaper DAPs such as large storage capacity, good battery and balanced output. Do cheaper DAPS currently have the same virtues?
I am a getting concerned by subsequent posts highlighting SD disk corruption issues.Is this common with other DAPs or this a particular quirk of the Kann?

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,614 of 2,698
Hi blackyangell. From my impressions so far, the Kann provides a similar listening experience to the idsd but this is based on using AKG K702 headphones which aren't balanced. Your Amiron cans may yield more of difference between the two set ups. The idsd gives more more weight possibly because of the higher output. The Kann is much easier to set up and is obviously more portable the the Mac/idsd. A cheaper DAP connected to the idsd may give similar results to the Kann/idsd combo but you need to consider the Kann's particular attributes over cheaper DAPs such as large storage capacity, good battery and balanced output. Do cheaper DAPS currently have the same virtues?

Thanks for reply hag6! Will think about it.

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #1,615 of 2,698
For Windows 7, you should download the DAC driver from our website. You can find it here on the KANN page under the download tab - https://us.astellnkern.com/collections/portables/products/kann

There are also detailed instructions on how to use the KANN as a USB DAC, but if you have any questions, please post them here or PM me.
Hi Jason. I still cant get the Kann to work as a DAC. I managed to download the driver and the files are on my PC in C:program files. I cant get the Kann to switch to DAC, it keeps reverting to MTP. I assume that I should be able to select this option even if the Kann is not connected to the PC. The driver doesn't show in "Sound" in Device manager. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,616 of 2,698
Hi Jason. I still cant get the Kann to work as a DAC. I managed to download the driver and the files are on my PC in C://program files. I cant get the Kann to switch to DAC, it keeps reverting to MTP. I assume that I should be able to select this option even if the Kann is not connected to the PC. The driver doesn't show in "Sound" in Device manager. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I need to eliminate a faulty usb cable. Could someone please confirm that the the DAC/MTP setting can be changed without the micro usb cable attached to the Kann. When I try to change from MTP to DAC the unit just reverts to MTP after displaying the timer icon.Thanks

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,617 of 2,698
I need to eliminate a faulty usb cable. Could someone please confirm that the the DAC/MTP setting can be changed without the micro usb cable attached to the Kann. When I try to change from MTP to DAC the unit just reverts to MTP after displaying the timer icon.Thanks

Well, OK. Without any USB cables connected I tap the "DAC" icon that shows up under the "hex nut" icon and it switches to DAC mode. It stays in that mode until I select MTP. Later, if I then connect a micro-USB cable to my PC it appears as a sound device (as it should). So, that confirms that it is staying in DAC mode.
You're saying that yours is switches back to MTP?

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,618 of 2,698
Well, OK. Without any USB cables connected I tap the "DAC" icon that shows up under the "hex nut" icon and it switches to DAC mode. It stays in that mode until I select MTP. Later, if I then connect a micro-USB cable to my PC it appears as a sound device (as it should). So, that confirms that it is staying in DAC mode.
You're saying that yours is switches back to MTP?

Hi sanfu1. Thank you so much for taking time to check out the DAC/MTP switching. I have finally been able to get the Kann to operate as a DAC. However my unit doesn't stay on the DAC setting as you have indicated. Each time I select the DAC option, either on the pull-down screen or via the settings icon, I am requested to connect to a media source and then it reverts back to the MTP setting. However, I tried again and attached the cable to my PC and it finally recognised ithe Kann - indicating DSD at the top of the screen (this must indicate the last frack that was selected). I am using foobar and after selecting the Kann AISO Audio Driver it works!

I have tried a few sample tracks using the Kann as the DAC connected to my PC and I notice some clicks (like slight scratches on vinyl). These clicks are not present when I play the same tracks from the Kann's internal storage or the inserted SD card. What are the optimum settings in foobar. Once again any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,619 of 2,698
Hi sanfu1. Thank you so much for taking time to check out the DAC/MTP switching. I have finally been able to get the Kann to operate as a DAC. However my unit doesn't stay on the DAC setting as you have indicated. Each time I select the DAC option, either on the pull-down screen or via the settings icon, I am requested to connect to a media source and then it reverts back to the MTP setting. However, I tried again and attached the cable to my PC and it finally recognised ithe Kann - indicating DSD at the top of the screen (this must indicate the last frack that was selected). I am using foobar and after selecting the Kann AISO Audio Driver it works!

I have tried a few sample tracks using the Kann as the DAC connected to my PC and I notice some clicks (like slight scratches on vinyl). These clicks are not present when I play the same tracks from the Kann's internal storage or the inserted SD card. What are the optimum settings in foobar. Once again any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not hearing any issues when using the Kann as a pc-connected DAC. Foobar does give the best audio quality when using the ASIO drivers (vs the Primary Sound Drivers). I don't know if you are using a Mac or Windows (I'm using Windows 10).
What type of file are you playing? As an example you mentioned DSD. When I tried to play a DSD64 file via foobar and the ASIO drives I got nothing but silence. Not sure if DSD requires a plug-in for foobar*. But flac/mp3 plays fine.

In your situation I would suspect the clicking sound being caused by some kind of electrical noise being generated by your pc. "Noisy" USB ports are a known issue on some computers. Companies like iFi make USB filters for this issue. But, not sure if you want to invest in something like that yet. Have you tried different USB ports?

*Update. Sure enough I just had to install the SACD/DSD component into foobar. DSD files play fine - no noise.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,620 of 2,698
I'm not hearing any issues when using the Kann as a pc-connected DAC. Foobar does give the best audio quality when using the ASIO drivers (vs the Primary Sound Drivers). I don't know if you are using a Mac or Windows (I'm using Windows 10).
What type of file are you playing? As an example you mentioned DSD. When I tried to play a DSD64 file via foobar and the ASIO drives I got nothing but silence. Not sure if DSD requires a plug-in for foobar*. But flac/mp3 plays fine.

In your situation I would suspect the clicking sound being caused by some kind of electrical noise being generated by your pc. "Noisy" USB ports are a known issue on some computers. Companies like iFi make USB filters for this issue. But, not sure if you want to invest in something like that yet. Have you tried different USB ports?

*Update. Sure enough I just had to install the SACD/DSD component into foobar. DSD files play fine - no noise.

Hi Sanfu1.Thanks for your advice. I have relevant foobar the plug-ins to playback DSD files and I am using the Kann AISO driver. When I double click to select this option I am offered further options in a new window - I wonder if these settings have anything to do with the "noise". Your point on noisy USB ports may be a factor, however when I connect the Micro idsd I have not noticed any clicks. I tried some of the tracks that are pre-loaded on the Kann - I copied them on to my PC to A/B the Kann as DAC-PC vs Kann as a stand alone. I will try another USB port and compare with idsd to see if I can locate the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back