Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Oct 27, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,081 of 2,698
Hi folks. New to the forum.
Anyhoo, purchased a Kann last week and loving it. Previously had a Fiio X5 gen 3 with Fiio A5 amp , which i changed to an Oppo HA-2.
Just love how I don't need an amp with this. My headphones are Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 in Mahogany. Best headphones i have heard. I did have a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 s a while back but found them too bright. Also recently a pair of Grado RS2i which were a bit bass shy.
The Fostex Kann combo is killer. The battery life is amazing. I use it in the car with the screen off and from 9am to -5pm it only drops to about 60%. Thats with wifi and Bluetooth off. Handy too that it's shape allows it to self stand. Also the headphone jack is on the top. The Fiio was on the bottom meaning most of the time i ended up listening to it upside down.
The only small criticisms i have is :-
1. The front buttons feel a bit vague.
2. I play my music in random mode but i cant seem to find how to list the songs in play order. Only alphabetically.
3. The corners can be a bit sharp.
Minor things i know but loving it so far.

Dave

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,082 of 2,698
Hello people. New to the forum & new to DAPs. After much deliberation I forked out for the lovely Kann last weekend. I had been thinking about getting a DAP for some time, but now that I now spend 3 hours of my day commuting I thought that it was a good time to bite the bullet. Well, I have to say that I am bowled over by it. One of the first things I listened to when I got it home was Bowie's Hunky Dory. I have been listening to that album for over 40 years and thought I knew it inside out. Fair enough, it wasn't a whole Brass section hiding in the wardrobe, but I heard things that I never knew were there! One of the reviews of the Kann that I read said something along the lines of 'it's like an accordion being opened & letting the air in'. That's exactly what it sounds like. The whole soundstage has opened up to allow the small details come through. I'musing a pair of B&W P7's at the moment, but I have also invested in a pair of ACS Custom Emotion's. I can't wait to hear those!
A couple of niggles at the moment though:
1. On a couple of occasions it has stopped mid-track for no apparent reason
2. The 'Sleep Off' keeps going back to 'Always On', even after setting it to 30 minutes. It was fully charged this morning and after not using it all day I touched it around 4pm & it was warm & the battery was down to 40%
I'm using JRiver Media Centre on my Mac to rip Cd's to FLAC & although a bit fiddly, seems to do the job.
Well, that's my tuppence worth for now. Now, how does it go? ch ch ch ch changes...

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #1,083 of 2,698
Hi folks. New to the forum.
Anyhoo, purchased a Kann last week and loving it. Previously had a Fiio X5 gen 3 with Fiio A5 amp , which i changed to an Oppo HA-2.
Just love how I don't need an amp with this. My headphones are Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 in Mahogany. Best headphones i have heard. I did have a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 s a while back but found them too bright. Also recently a pair of Grado RS2i which were a bit bass shy.
The Fostex Kann combo is killer. The battery life is amazing. I use it in the car with the screen off and from 9am to -5pm it only drops to about 60%. Thats with wifi and Bluetooth off. Handy too that it's shape allows it to self stand. Also the headphone jack is on the top. The Fiio was on the bottom meaning most of the time i ended up listening to it upside down.
The only small criticisms i have is :-
1. The front buttons feel a bit vague.
2. I play my music in random mode but i cant seem to find how to list the songs in play order. Only alphabetically.
3. The corners can be a bit sharp.
Minor things i know but loving it so far.

Dave
Welcome to the Kann enjoyment. As for point 1 this is how Kann is made. So you have to stick with it. Point 2 you need to make your playlist if you want to listen in random basis. Yes agree with point 3 corners are sharp. Perhaps on the long run you can get a case. There are options on Ebay.com. Happy listening:gs1000smile:

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #1,084 of 2,698
Hello people. New to the forum & new to DAPs. After much deliberation I forked out for the lovely Kann last weekend. I had been thinking about getting a DAP for some time, but now that I now spend 3 hours of my day commuting I thought that it was a good time to bite the bullet. Well, I have to say that I am bowled over by it. One of the first things I listened to when I got it home was Bowie's Hunky Dory. I have been listening to that album for over 40 years and thought I knew it inside out. Fair enough, it wasn't a whole Brass section hiding in the wardrobe, but I heard things that I never knew were there! One of the revie ws of the Kann that I read said something along the lines of 'it's like an accordion being opened & letting the air in'. That's exactly what it sounds like. The whole soundstage has opened up to allow the small details come through. I'musing a pair of B&W P7's at the moment, but I have also invested in a pair of ACS Custom Emotion's. I can't wait to hear those!
A couple of niggles at the moment though:
1. On a couple of occasions it has stopped mid-track for no apparent reason
2. The 'Sleep Off' keeps going back to 'Always On', even after setting it to 30 minutes. It was fully charged this morning and after not using it all day I touched it around 4pm & it was warm & the battery was down to 40%
I'm using JRiver Media Centre on my Mac to rip Cd's to FLAC & although a bit fiddly, seems to do the job.
Well, that's my tuppence worth for now. Now, how does it go? ch ch ch ch changes...
Hi. Never faced any mid way stoppage. Could be a file issue. For point 2 shut your device remove your cards, re insert your cards and boot the device. See if it works. If not. We have Jason NYC here who is from A&K may be able to assist . You can also try out the Audirvana+ app for Mac.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,085 of 2,698
Hi. Never faced any mid way stoppage. Could be a file issue. For point 2 shut your device remove your cards, re insert your cards and boot the device. See if it works. If not. We have Jason NYC here who is from A&K may be able to assist . You can also try out the Audirvana+ app for Mac.
Thanks Shetzu. Indeed it may have been the file. The first time it happened was with an album I had ripped as a DSD. I didn't like the sound anyhow, so deleted & replaced with FLAC. I powered the unit down last night while on charge, so I'll see if it's any different today. I have spent the past few days uploading music to it, so it probably needs a reboot even things out again. I'll look into Audirvana+. Thanks for your help.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,086 of 2,698
Welcome to the Kann enjoyment. As for point 1 this is how Kann is made. So you have to stick with it. Point 2 you need to make your playlist if you want to listen in random basis. Yes agree with point 3 corners are sharp. Perhaps on the long run you can get a case. There are options on Ebay.com. Happy listening:gs1000smile:

Cheers Shetzu. I have ordered a case from eBay which sort of doubles as a stand. I think it's a Miter case. You would think for the price AK would have included one like Fiio do. It's not easy finding one due to it's unusual shape. Same with in car holders. I just lie it in the car ashtray :smiley:
I also use JRiver Media Centre to rip my CDs but i rip them to M4a. However i may need larger memory cards than the 2x 128Gb ones i have atm as they are both nearly full.
Anyway I'm following this thread because you always learn more about stuff from others.

Dave

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,087 of 2,698
I got the QP1R and a little later bought the Kann. To be honest, the Kann was a bit of a disappointment to me vs the QP1R, which seems to have greater clarity and a richer soundstage. That's not to say I don't think the Kann is a terrific player overall. But recently I sprang for the Opus#2 in one of my "gotta have it" moments – and wow!! I'm now looking to sell the Kann and possibly the QP1R, because the Opus#2 is the most fantastic sounding DAP I've ever owned or listened to, bar none, and this holds true across all musical genres (acoustic jazz sounds phenomenal). I guess the QP1R has a slight edge over the Opus#2 in terms of headphone drivability, though that's not an issue for me. Hifiman Edition X V2 + Opus#2 = Magic.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #1,088 of 2,698
Cheers Shetzu. I have ordered a case from eBay which sort of doubles as a stand. I think it's a Miter case. You would think for the price AK would have included one like Fiio do. It's not easy finding one due to it's unusual shape. Same with in car holders. I just lie it in the car ashtray :smiley:
I also use JRiver Media Centre to rip my CDs but i rip them to M4a. However i may need larger memory cards than the 2x 128Gb ones i have atm as they are both nearly full.
Anyway I'm following this thread because you always learn more about stuff from others.

Dave
All the best Dave.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,089 of 2,698
Astell & Kern has released new update for Kann Version 1.0.5. Nothing new except for bug fixes. :relaxed:

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,093 of 2,698
Can't find it,so where is it hidden?
I plugged my KANN into my computer,opened the settings menu to update but no update showing up.Can't find the update on the AK website.Am I missing something?:)
Go to settings in kann and check for system updates .
It's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back