Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #2,386 of 2,698
Hello all

I recently picked up a Kann a few weeks ago. I will say that I am quite impressed with the sound and it’s ability to drive my Audeze EL-8 headphones. The problem is that I have a limited amount of hi res files and get most of music via tidal. Prior to getting the Kann I knew that it supported Tidal but only after reading most of the pages on this thread did I learn of the lack of MQA support and the lack of firmware updates. So my question is should I return the Kann and get a SR-15 or should I wait it out for this promised updated ?

Also is it possible to stream Qobuz on the Kann via a phone or pc?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #2,388 of 2,698
Hello all

I recently picked up a Kann a few weeks ago. I will say that I am quite impressed with the sound and it’s ability to drive my Audeze EL-8 headphones. The problem is that I have a limited amount of hi res files and get most of music via tidal. Prior to getting the Kann I knew that it supported Tidal but only after reading most of the pages on this thread did I learn of the lack of MQA support and the lack of firmware updates. So my question is should I return the Kann and get a SR-15 or should I wait it out for this promised updated ?

Also is it possible to stream Qobuz on the Kann via a phone or pc?

Thanks!
Funny that I wanted to reply on your original message with the suggestion that you can switch to Qobuz instead, and now I see your update :smile_phones: .

Yes, it is possible to stream Qobuz on the Kann. From PC you just need USB-A to micro-USB cable, set the DAC mode on the Kann, install Qobuz om PC, set the output mode to 192Khz 24 bit, change Qobuz audio output to exclusive mode wasapi driver, and enjoy. In addition you can connect the USB-C on Kann to a wall charger or to another PC port to keep the Kann charged.
(I do not remember about he need of Kann driver installation, it is probably OS dependent).

From phone the needed cable depends on the phone. On Android it can ne USB-C to micro-USB OTG cable, micro-USB to micro-USB OTG cable, on iPhone a camera connection set cable. Turn on DAC mode on Kann. Install Qbuz app. The phone shall switch the output to Kann automatically. Enjoy.

If you do not want stacking, and want to get rid of the cable, or do not have the cable, and you have an android phone: you can purchase BubbleUPnP app, turn on the AK CONNECT function on the Kann, swich from local renderer to KANN in BubbleUPnP, select your source from Qobuz inside BubbleUPnP, enjoy. Phone and Kann must be on the same wifi network. After the first successful connection on an ordinary wifi network this wifi can also be the wifi hotspot on the phone. Unfortunately you can not use offline stored files with BubbleUPnP. I found the wired connection more responsive, more reliable, less annoying, but less comfortable.

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #2,389 of 2,698
Funny that I wanted to reply on your original message with the suggestion that you can switch to Qobuz instead, and now I see your update :smile_phones: .

Yes, it is possible to stream Qobuz on the Kann. From PC you just need USB-A to micro-USB cable, set the DAC mode on the Kann, install Qobuz om PC, set the output mode to 192Khz 24 bit, change Qobuz audio output to exclusive mode wasapi driver, and enjoy. In addition you can connect the USB-C on Kann to a wall charger or to another PC port to keep the Kann charged.
(I do not remember about he need of Kann driver installation, it is probably OS dependent).

From phone the needed cable depends on the phone. On Android it can ne USB-C to micro-USB OTG cable, micro-USB to micro-USB OTG cable, on iPhone a camera connection set cable. Turn on DAC mode on Kann. Install Qbuz app. The phone shall switch the output to Kann automatically. Enjoy.

If you do not want stacking, and want to get rid of the cable, or do not have the cable, and you have an android phone: you can purchase BubbleUPnP app, turn on the AK CONNECT function on the Kann, swich from local renderer to KANN in BubbleUPnP, select your source from Qobuz inside BubbleUPnP, enjoy. Phone and Kann must be on the same wifi network. After the first successful connection on an ordinary wifi network this wifi can also be the wifi hotspot on the phone. Unfortunately you can not use offline stored files with BubbleUPnP. I found the wired connection more responsive, more reliable, less annoying, but less comfortable.

After a lot of searching I finally found a solution for Qobuz. I use an ios app call mconnect to stream Qobuz to my Kann. So far it has worked pretty well there is sometimes a slight delay we moving on to the next song. I tried using Audirvana but it kept stopping during the middle of songs so it didnt seem like it was going to work. I have to say that it has been a little bit of a frustrating experience. When deciding which device to purchase I saw that the Kann was still in the current lineup so I figured it would still be getting firmware updates that added new features. So I was deciding between the Kann and the SR15 and it seemed like it was a good idea to get the Kann because of its powerful hardware but its lack of streaming apps has been disapointing. It would be nice if the would add Qobuz to the Kann since the Kann is unable to do MQA. I read somewhere that some models of the Kann had Qobuz loaded on them but that was not the case in North American because at the time Qobuz was not available in NA

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #2,390 of 2,698
I vs got the Kann, paired with Shure 1840 and I m happy about them.
Which is the best quality music that I can hear with this Dap?
Dsd file?
Flac?

Using tidal hifi when I m listening the songs I saw that the quality is Hifi, but I m not sure what kind of quality is...

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #2,391 of 2,698
quick question here on SW update, the last few pages got really confusing and turned into somewhat of a crap show:

- is there a SW update available for my KANN right now?
- if yes, is the above bricking some units?

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,392 of 2,698
I vs got the Kann, paired with Shure 1840 and I m happy about them.
Which is the best quality music that I can hear with this Dap?
Dsd file?
Flac?

Using tidal hifi when I m listening the songs I saw that the quality is Hifi, but I m not sure what kind of quality is...
Happy that you are happy :o2smile: .
Flac, dsd, both can carry high quality music. If I am saying which one is better, there might be a thunder on this thread. On the Kann there are several high quality recorings comimg with it preinstalled in the internal memory, some flac, some dsd. You can decide yourself which you like better.
You can even compare some of them to the Tidal version, if you find them on Tidal.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,393 of 2,698
quick question here on SW update, the last few pages got really confusing and turned into somewhat of a *** show:

- is there a SW update available for my KANN right now?
- if yes, is the above bricking some units?

I just recently bought a KANN and have also read that there was a SW update that bricked the player? I rang the store I bought it from yesterday and they seemed to think that there's an update with a patch to rectify this? I am wondering if anyone on here is aware of this and has tried the new update yet?!

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,397 of 2,698
Here would be a good place. If the KANN has it's wifi on then it will notify you when you turn it on that there is an update but won't tell you anything about it.
Thanks for letting me know about this. I haven't turned the wifi on cos I was worried about the last dodgy update bricking it?! Also I find the AK website a bit lacking that there's no way to contact support from what I can see? I was going to email them directly to ask about this but can't see an email address?!

May 1, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #2,398 of 2,698
Has anyone had problems with the Kann saving/playing albums in the wrong order?

For me, this seems to be a problem with multi-CD albums that have been ripped with iTunes. The tracks are named according to the normal iTunes convention for albums split over multiple discs (1-01 Track Name, 1-02 Track Name, 2-01 Track Name...), and that's how they appear if I navigate to the Kann through Windows.

But on some (not all) of these multi-disc albums, when I navigate to the albums on the Kann itself, the tracks are in the wrong order.

I've never encountered this problem before on any previous players (iPods, RockBox players, other Android systems), and it's got me puzzled. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, have you found a solution?

May 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #2,399 of 2,698
Actually, I think I might have worked it out myself. No matter what, the Kann always seems to default to organising by year, and on compilations where tracks have different release years, it is moving them into chronological order.

In lieu of a better solution, I'll just give compilations a single release year.

May 3, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2,400 of 2,698
Actually, I think I might have worked it out myself. No matter what, the Kann always seems to default to organising by year, and on compilations where tracks have different release years, it is moving them into chronological order.

In lieu of a better solution, I'll just give compilations a single release year.
I haven't come across this issue myself?? I hope you find a solution....
Maybe if you create subfolders for Disc One and another for Disc Two and then renumber the songs in the individual Disc folders to just 01, 02 etc instead of 1-01, 1-02 etc?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back