Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Sep 25, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,086 of 2,200
Has anyone figured out how to update the native Tidal version to a newer one? I've tried sideloading it but it won't appear under the "Open Service" Folder, it just shows me Tidal version 2.2 which is baked into the firmware. I am following the AK side-loading instructions.

I can sideload Apple Music, so I know I'm following the correct procedure, but no luck with Tidal.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #2,087 of 2,200
Has anyone figured out how to update the native Tidal version to a newer one? I've tried sideloading it but it won't appear under the "Open Service" Folder, it just shows me Tidal version 2.2 which is baked into the firmware. I am following the AK side-loading instructions.

I can sideload Apple Music, so I know I'm following the correct procedure, but no luck with Tidal.
You can’t replace the built in Tidal but you can side-load the Tidal app. Version 2.31 is the last version that works with Android 5:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/tidal...playlists-videos-2-31-0-android-apk-download/

Newer versions will not work.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,089 of 2,200
Sep 27, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,090 of 2,200
WiFi: multiple APs can confuse it (perhaps the big is due to the fact it still runs Android 5). Signal strength goes down if you use the leather case.

Not my experience with the other symptoms. I use both headphone jacks and the mini xlr ocassionally.
The KA uses very old version of WiFi module,so its struggle to have a stable connection with the new modem/routers.

you can read some reviews on KA alpha page on headfi then you will know that I'm not the only one complaining.

How is the Kann Cubes built in Tidal performance and does it sounds better than alpha?

Im thinking to get a cube just for the mini xlr Line out option for my balanced amps, also for the big screen.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,092 of 2,200
I tried to install Apple Music xapk using xapk installer on my kann cube but it says “app not installed”. Anybody had this error on their kann cube?
download ver 3.6 .apk, not the xapk ver

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,093 of 2,200
After a busy, active summer, where my more pocketable DAP’s were my go-to’s and with some cool winds of fall blowing and the sun going down earlier every day, I’ve reacquainted myself with my KANN CUBE. This brawny beast has reasserted itself in my ears, and I’m very happy to have it. I know A&K takes a lot of bumps and body shots for certain aspects (support, updates, customer service, price), but this is another solid, dependable player, albeit a “stay-at-home” package!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #2,094 of 2,200
I have just updated the Qobuz app from 5.17.0.1 to 6.3.1.4 on my Cube using an apk file from apkpure.com.

The reason for the upgrade was the new feature "MY WEEKLY Q", which was not available on the old version.

I was complaining a few weeks ago on a Qobuz user satisfaction survey that there is no proper tailor made music discovery possibility on Qobuz. But now, I do not know how they do it, the hit rate of this Q is so good, that almost the quater of this weekly changed list is landing on my favourites list, and the rest is good enough that I rarely have to skip a song.

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2,095 of 2,200
So, I’ve ordered a custom mini XLR to 2.5mm balanced adapter just to try my headphones with the XLR output.

Not sure if this was supposed to happen but I’ve noticed a considerable difference between the XLR and the regular 2.5mm output.

The XLR has lower volume at the same volume number, but sounds flatter (tighter bass) and with better separation.

Does this makes any sense or am I becoming crazy?

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,097 of 2,200
So, I’ve ordered a custom mini XLR to 2.5mm balanced adapter just to try my headphones with the XLR output.

Not sure if this was supposed to happen but I’ve noticed a considerable difference between the XLR and the regular 2.5mm output.

The XLR has lower volume at the same volume number, but sounds flatter (tighter bass) and with better separation.

Does this makes any sense or am I becoming crazy?

I thought the mini-XLR was a line-out, not a phone-out. Line-out would be much higher impedance which can change the sound.

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,098 of 2,200
I thought the mini-XLR was a line-out, not a phone-out. Line-out would be much higher impedance which can change the sound.
He seems to be talking about the 2.5mm out, not the 5-pin miniXLRout (which is line out)

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #2,099 of 2,200
He seems to be talking about the 2.5mm out, not the 5-pin miniXLRout (which is line out)

BFD1F61C-3E8A-4C6B-9C12-60ABC6DCAF99.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back