Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Nov 3, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,116 of 2,200
I have tried the XLR output into both headphones and iems using a short XLR to balanced 2.5mm connector and don’t find a big difference in volume but a little. The main thing I found was the base was a little more detailed base with my headphones and less with my iems, I’ve been told this is to do with the difference in sensitivity and impedance between my HPs and iems.
I only tried it as a test, still have the cable but don’t use it much

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,117 of 2,200
I got another iem cable worth mentioning recently, it’s made me prefer my Shure 535s over my Andromedas. I had it made up locally its an 8wire pure silver litz 30awg balanced cable and it pairs really well with the Shures

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #2,118 of 2,200
I would assume it depends more on the sensitivity. I would not state anything before hearing it. The dac itself is very good, sometimes I use it to drive the MHA200.

The XLR output bypasses the Kann Cube's volume control. An external preamp or integrated amp has to be used to control level, and this just substitutes another active tube or transistor circuit in the signal path in place of the Cube's. Also, another cable is added in the signal path. Overall, it's not clear that this would mean a sonic improvement.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #2,120 of 2,200
I have just updated the Qobuz app from 5.17.0.1 to 6.3.1.4 on my Cube using an apk file from apkpure.com.

The reason for the upgrade was the new feature "MY WEEKLY Q", which was not available on the old version.

I was complaining a few weeks ago on a Qobuz user satisfaction survey that there is no proper tailor made music discovery possibility on Qobuz. But now, I do not know how they do it, the hit rate of this Q is so good, that almost the quater of this weekly changed list is landing on my favourites list, and the rest is good enough that I rarely have to skip a song.

Hi Newsee!

Does version 6.3.1.4 allow you to purchase music on the Kann Cube?

Best regards and happy listening,

audio-

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #2,121 of 2,200
Hi all KC owners,
I’ve tried a search without any luck… so I just wanted to ask if anyone is using the KC with Focal Clear Mg HPs? I probably should have asked first but I’ve ordered a set that should arrive soon. I’d like to hear of any experience with these two items used together.
I’ve had the base model closed back focal elegia HPs for a couple of years, but my iems perform much better than they do hence the reason to upgrade to open backs for home use again, just hoping the KC can do them justice. The first thing I plan to do is test some variations of balanced cables with them due to the stiff standard unbalanced cable, so any experience with cables would be great too.
Also, I’ve only been using the low gain setting for iems and the elegias, I’m guessing I’ll probably need to use mid for the higher impedance Clear Mg HPs, they are 55ohms vs 35ohms. My iems are around 11 to 15 ohms
Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #2,122 of 2,200
Hi Newsee!

Does version 6.3.1.4 allow you to purchase music on the Kann Cube?

Best regards and happy listening,

audio-
Hi audio-
It is not the Qobuz which has to be updated but the browser, which is in the firmware. I do not think it will ever happen. Never mind, the processor is anyway too weak to execute that task in a comfortable way.
Cheers
N.

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #2,123 of 2,200
While initially my qobuz experience was great but now I’m having some problems. Albums already imported seem to just disappear. When I’m in the car I can sometimes play a few offline tracks then keep getting error messages about not having an internet connection, this even happens once I connect via hotspot. I also tried for e stop and restart qobuz but no change. After reading about offline again, it seems you might need to import the same album twice? Surely not? I’ll need to work this out pretty quickly or I’ll have to forget qobuz. Tidal was a big skipping problem too…
To answer audio above, once an album or track is in your offline library, there is an option to buy on qobuz. When clicked on the KC visits qobuz website and I can see prices etc so maybe you can

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #2,124 of 2,200
While initially my qobuz experience was great but now I’m having some problems. Albums already imported seem to just disappear. When I’m in the car I can sometimes play a few offline tracks then keep getting error messages about not having an internet connection, this even happens once I connect via hotspot. I also tried for e stop and restart qobuz but no change. After reading about offline again, it seems you might need to import the same album twice? Surely not? I’ll need to work this out pretty quickly or I’ll have to forget qobuz. Tidal was a big skipping problem too…
To answer audio above, once an album or track is in your offline library, there is an option to buy on qobuz. When clicked on the KC visits qobuz website and I can see prices etc so maybe you can
I had the same problem in the past quite often. When Qobuz was complaining that it can not play the offline file, the remedy was to remove it from the offline library and import again. I suspect that it happened mostly when I was using Qobuz on too many equipment. Nowdays it is only 3, and this problem has not come for very long time.

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2,125 of 2,200
I had the same problem in the past quite often. When Qobuz was complaining that it can not play the offline file, the remedy was to remove it from the offline library and import again. I suspect that it happened mostly when I was using Qobuz on too many equipment. Nowdays it is only 3, and this problem has not come for very long time.
Hi Newsee
Thanks, if that’s the case, I probably did something similar so I’ll remove all the downloads and reinstall qobuz for another try. I think their SQ is significantly better than Tidal so I really want it to work. I’ve contacted qobuz help several times but no response yet.
I’ll post back here how a second try goes.
Thanks

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #2,126 of 2,200
Hi Newsee
Thanks, if that’s the case, I probably did something similar so I’ll remove all the downloads and reinstall qobuz for another try. I think their SQ is significantly better than Tidal so I really want it to work. I’ve contacted qobuz help several times but no response yet.
I’ll post back here how a second try goes.
Thanks
I deleted all downloads, then the qobuz app, then reinstalled it. Once installed I downloaded each album one at a time right beside the modem to get best signal. I tested each album by going offline to see if it all works. So far I’ve downloaded about 12 hi res albums and they all work fine either online or offline, so happy again. I did have one problem, maybe my mistake, I tried downloading an album last night and instead of getting an album, I got separate tracks. So I tried to setup my first playlist as the album would have been, but got stumped on how to do it. I guess it’ll be on you tube somewhere but it didn’t seem too straight forward to me.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2,127 of 2,200
I deleted all downloads, then the qobuz app, then reinstalled it. Once installed I downloaded each album one at a time right beside the modem to get best signal. I tested each album by going offline to see if it all works. So far I’ve downloaded about 12 hi res albums and they all work fine either online or offline, so happy again. I did have one problem, maybe my mistake, I tried downloading an album last night and instead of getting an album, I got separate tracks. So I tried to setup my first playlist as the album would have been, but got stumped on how to do it. I guess it’ll be on you tube somewhere but it didn’t seem too straight forward to me.
When you are playing a song there are tree dots in the lower right corner. Tapping on it brings a popup menu. Second bullet: "Add to playlist". With the + sign in upper right corner you can create new playlist, or just choose from the existing ones.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #2,128 of 2,200
Thanks Newsee, I managed to work it out last night. Have you ever had the problem with getting tracks only when importing a full album? It’s happened again and I can’t see why. I’ll try downloading the same album on my phone and see what happens.

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,129 of 2,200
Hi All
Need some advice so would really appreciate any help.

Embedded tidal has stopped working on my KC, when trying to run it all I get is a temporary message flash up saying "Unfotunately, Tidal has stopped". Has anyone seen this before. I tried a soft boot but without success.

For the first time I have installed xapk installer followed by tidal but tidal won't install. It tries but put up the message "parse error".

Please could anyone shed any light on this.

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #2,130 of 2,200
Hi Stefanovic,
I haven’t seen those with the embedded bersion but I rarely use that. With the side loaded app - Yep I’ve had those frustrating messages several times. For me it seems to happen when I’m in a poor mobile or wifi location and somehow they log me out, then the messages start when I try to log in again.
Anyway I think your second issue is due to trying to use xapk, I don’t think anyone has been able to get this to work so best suggestion I can give is go back to the last non xapk versus and install that instead, I did a ehile back and have version 2.31.0 and it works fine. I’m quitting tidal soon as I’ve recently signed up for Qobuz which sounds better to me and hopefully more reliable. The biggest problem I’ve had with Tidal is skipping during play back on the KC, phone too but to a lesser extent.
Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back