Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 23, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,771 of 2,204
Just tried out the Master and Dynamic MW07 Plus IEMs with my KANN Cube.

The Bluetooth pairing was easy, and got a nice confirmation that the Qualcomm apt-X mode was active. It was interesting to note that the available volume level was significantly higher than with the same connection to my KANN. Very clear midrange and good bass response.

The MW07 Plus are an excellent wireless set - nice choice

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,772 of 2,204
I'm hoping someone knows a trick and can help me. I'm having massive issues sideloading apps onto my Kann Cube and SR15. I'm explicitly following the directions on the AK site. Please let me know if you know of some tricks. Thx! The file shows up in the OpenService folder on the DAP when I connect to my computer.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #1,773 of 2,204
I'm hoping someone knows a trick and can help me. I'm having massive issues sideloading apps onto my Kann Cube and SR15. I'm explicitly following the directions on the AK site. Please let me know if you know of some tricks. Thx! The file shows up in the OpenService folder on the DAP when I connect to my computer.
Hi,
i just recently bought an SR25. I guess it will be the same procedure. Some of the apps, I could not install directly. They did not appear in the list of instalable app on the player, but I had them copied in the relevant folder. I read somewhere that you have to install XAPK installer. I did that. Once that is installed you get into that app and it shows you what you have in the player and lets you install those apps that do not appear otherwise. It happened to me with Apple Music and some other apps. Of course they have to be from the list of approved apps.
I hope it helps

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,774 of 2,204
Hi,
i just recently bought an SR25. I guess it will be the same procedure. Some of the apps, I could not install directly. They did not appear in the list of instalable app on the player, but I had them copied in the relevant folder. I read somewhere that you have to install XAPK installer. I did that. Once that is installed you get into that app and it shows you what you have in the player and lets you install those apps that do not appear otherwise. It happened to me with Apple Music and some other apps. Of course they have to be from the list of approved apps.
I hope it helps
I will try that. I'm trying to install Pandora and Apple music.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,775 of 2,204
Hi,
I hope it helps
Thanks again for your help. I tried multiple installers and nothing worked. I tried getting the APK file from somewhere besides APKpure and that did the trick. It seems like APK pure is not the place to go to get the files. They are probably no longer providing the approve apk file. AK should probably find a new site or put them up on their site for download. I'm all set now!

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,776 of 2,204
We have been setting up some detailed FAQs on the US website for OpenApp/Music Streaming service questions, along with some step by step instructions and an updated list of apps that are supported. Check out the OpenApp/Music Streaming section of the FAQ - https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,777 of 2,204
We have been setting up some detailed FAQs on the US website for OpenApp/Music Streaming service questions, along with some step by step instructions and an updated list of apps that are supported. Check out the OpenApp/Music Streaming section of the FAQ - https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center
Thanks Jason. I tried that. The files on APKPure seem to not work. As soon as I tried different sites it worked just fine. Not sure what the issue is.

Edit: It looks like APKpure is coming up with their own verion of the APK file. They are adding "apkpure.com" into the file name. My guess is that file name is not on the whitelist in the firmware. I think this is new. I have never had issues in the past.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,778 of 2,204
Thanks Jason. I tried that. The files on APKPure seem to not work. As soon as I tried different sites it worked just fine. Not sure what the issue is.

Edit: It looks like APKpure is coming up with their own verion of the APK file. They are adding "apkpure.com" into the file name. My guess is that file name is not on the whitelist in the firmware. I think this is new. I have never had issues in the past.
Thank you for the update. We will take a look. I do know that some of the streaming services such as Spotify are blocking downloads of their APKs from APKPure for only North America residents, but allowing the APK to be downloaded from other countries without an issue. We are currently exploring other options for these cases.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 25, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,779 of 2,204
Thank you for the update. We will take a look. I do know that some of the streaming services such as Spotify are blocking downloads of their APKs from APKPure for only North America residents, but allowing the APK to be downloaded from other countries without an issue. We are currently exploring other options for these cases.
Great! Thanks a lot! If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,780 of 2,204
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,781 of 2,204
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #1,782 of 2,204
Is it possible to operate the Kann Cube while it is connected to a wall socked for charging? Does this affect the sound?

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,783 of 2,204
Hi,
I hope it helps

Do you also own the Kann Cube? Might you be willing to share listening impressions of the SR25 relative to the Kann Cube?

I am thinking of purchasing the SR25 as an EDC. I purchased the SR15 and strongly disliked the Cirrus Logic CS43198 in dual dac configuration. I ended up returning the unit.

However I’m unable to consider the Kann Cube as a portable or “transportable” unit. My car is leather and the corners of the Kann Cube ripped up the interior with over $1000 of damage in 5 minutes.

Thus my KC is permanently a home desktop unit, without support for a “desktop mode”. I also bought a iFi xDSD which does support a desktop mode.

I’m strongly considering the Chord TT 2. I would have to drive it with something else, but at least the corners are soft and it does bit perfect up to 768k pcm, dsd512. I could even drive it with a MBP as obviously that has rounded corners too.

Would love to hear your impressions of the SR25, even though it’s the same dac chip, apparently in the same configuration as on the SR15.

Thank you!

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #1,784 of 2,204
Do you also own the Kann Cube? Might you be willing to share listening impressions of the SR25 relative to the Kann Cube?

I am thinking of purchasing the SR25 as an EDC. I purchased the SR15 and strongly disliked the Cirrus Logic CS43198 in dual dac configuration. I ended up returning the unit.

However I’m unable to consider the Kann Cube as a portable or “transportable” unit. My car is leather and the corners of the Kann Cube ripped up the interior with over $1000 of damage in 5 minutes.

Thus my KC is permanently a home desktop unit, without support for a “desktop mode”. I also bought a iFi xDSD which does support a desktop mode.

I’m strongly considering the Chord TT 2. I would have to drive it with something else, but at least the corners are soft and it does bit perfect up to 768k pcm, dsd512. I could even drive it with a MBP as obviously that has rounded corners too.

Would love to hear your impressions of the SR25, even though it’s the same dac chip, apparently in the same configuration as on the SR15.

Thank you!

i would love to have the Kann Cube, but the SR 25 is my first, and probably not last, A&K. I cannot compare with Kann Cube or with SR15, but the sound of the SR25 for me is the best I have ever experienced in a portable device. I come from Iphone XR with dragonfly black, then sony nwa-55 and finally sony nwa-105 which I returned for the capped volume of European models and horrible battery life. Sound in the SR25 is sublime. I love all types of music but specially for classical the thing performs really well. Violins in this player are out of this world! So soft! Also, I found particularly good for vocals. I have the Sennheiser HD 599 which excell with this player. Sound is also good with my Sony wh1000xm3. Very good with Bluetooth and I have just received Final E4000 iem and the sound is excellent with a balanced cable. I still have the sony nwa-55 and the iphone+dragonfly. The iphone I do not use anymore for music, the sony only for the Bluetooth receiver function not available in the Sr25. I like to watch sometimes concerts at night and the sennheiser - sony - bluetooth give me the best solution so far. I have tried to stream through dlna with the SR25, but I get an annoying delay and image and sound loose synchronization.
I am very happy with the sound quality, excellent battery life and general functions, works well with all the platforms that I have tried: Apple Music, Deezer and Tidal. Dlna function with Ak connect works well. I have also tried the dac funcion and works perfectly again delivering a very beautiful sound. The device is really small and portable. So if you are looking for something portable, I can only recommend it.
is it perfect? Of course not. The user interface is not so cool, much better in the sony nwa-105. UI, I believe is the same as Kann Cube. Wifi range could be better. Connection is sometimes lost, something rarely happening with my iphone.
i hope this helps

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,785 of 2,204

Thank you!

I have both, the cube and received the SR25 yesterday. Please pm me with what specifically you’d like to compare between the two and I’ll try to help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back