Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 13, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,801 of 2,204
@JasonNYC
Hi Jason,

Looks like the problem with sideloading apk files is not just apkpure.com specific. I've just tried to install Onkyo HF Player apk file taken from another apk website which is considered safe and legitimate - apkmirror.com. I use xapk installer installed on Kann Cube, because otherwise the player doesn't see the apk files that I put in the Open Service folder. Anyway, I go to Service menu item > open xapk installer > see the Onkyo HF Player apk > tap on Install > tap on Next > tap Install again and get a message : "Parse Error. There was a problem parsing the package".

Tried this with Onkyo HF Player apk files from both apkpure and apkmirror resources. Get exactly the same error message. And I'm not based in the North America region, so shouldn't be about the region restrictions, either.

Have the latest firmware update on my Kann Cube. I have even checked the MD5, SHA1 and SHA256 hashes for both apks - looks perfect. So yes, please ping the team and have them take a closer look at the problem.
Onkyo HF Player is not a supported app on AK players. You can see the full list of supported apps here - https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/hel...c-streaming-services-are-supported-by-openapp

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 13, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #1,802 of 2,204
I just bought the Yamaha A-S2200 integrated amplifier which has an XLR connection so did buy the PEE41 too. Just set up the amp today. So far sounds good, listening to Elton John's Greatest Hits DCC. Of course the amp needs break-in, and this is a great mastering, but it does seem clean and transparent thus far. Will give more impressions later. My old amp was the Denon PMA-2000IVR which has served me well for a long time.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what line out settings are optimal for xlr output. You can set 2.0, 2.5 or 4.0V on the cube. The Yamaha supposedly handles 2.8V or 5.6V with attenuator switch. I have been going back and forth with 2.5 and 4V on the Cube and the Yamaha with no attenuation. Both sound good but it seems like 4.0 matches Similar volume to my CD player.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #1,803 of 2,204
Ok, so, I may pull the trigger on the KANN Cube at the end of the week and my old CD collection is backed up as WAV files. Would it be better to convert them to FLAC or rerip them directly to the KC. Of course I would also have to order a new CD ripper (probably the A&K one) but that’s fine too. Just trying to figure out the best format for it if I do.

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,804 of 2,204
Ok, so, I may pull the trigger on the KANN Cube at the end of the week and my old CD collection is backed up as WAV files. Would it be better to convert them to FLAC or rerip them directly to the KC. Of course I would also have to order a new CD ripper (probably the A&K one) but that’s fine too. Just trying to figure out the best format for it if I do.
If you don't plan on ripping any new files, I would advise to get either dbpoweramp or xld software (for Mac). You can easily convert your WAV to FLAC in batch, at least on dbpoweramp. I still rip a lot of cds, and rip them to FLAC with dbpoweramp. Then I just copy them to my SD card and plug it into the Cube. In my setup it is not easy to connect the Cube to my computer so this works best for me. The AK MQS Server software allows you to copy over WIFI but it does not retain the tags of the original file and if you have the same song title multiple times in an album (such as a box set) it will only retain the last version and delete the others.

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,805 of 2,204
If you don't plan on ripping any new files, I would advise to get either dbpoweramp or xld software (for Mac). You can easily convert your WAV to FLAC in batch, at least on dbpoweramp. I still rip a lot of cds, and rip them to FLAC with dbpoweramp. Then I just copy them to my SD card and plug it into the Cube. In my setup it is not easy to connect the Cube to my computer so this works best for me. The AK MQS Server software allows you to copy over WIFI but it does not retain the tags of the original file and if you have the same song title multiple times in an album (such as a box set) it will only retain the last version and delete the others.
Hmmm, ok. Don’t think I’ll do the WiFi if it’s not retaining tags as I use them to keep my music organized. But I’m probably gonna rerip everything anyway because I don’t think I have everything saved and I’ve added stuff since then that I didn’t get around to yet. Been on a journey of ripping everything both video and audio so I can get rid of the discs this year. Anyway I will take a look at your suggestion as it sounds like a good way to go and thanks. Looking forward to using the KC.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #1,806 of 2,204

I purchased the A&K CD Ripper (PEM15). It looks nice (IMHO) and the quality of the ripped files is very, very good. There are two additional benefits to using the A&K ripper: All files are somehow examined over the internet (you will need to have WiFi turned on and have a stable connection to the internet) by the GraceNote database and the relevant metadata is returned including album art, track listings, etc. Secondly, your CDs will appear under the “CD Library” which is a separate organizational tool in the A&K main menu. You might find this to be useful if you know you want to listen to selections only from CD rips.

There is one issue that can sometimes come up with GraceNote: missing albums. For example, “Blade Runner: 2049” wasn’t part of GraceNote when I tried to rip the two CD set. In the end, I just bought the music in FLAC format from Qobuz since it had all the album art and other metadata properly attached. Maybe for these cases it might be useful to have another tool to manually attach metadata to files previously ripped by one of the well-known PC tools. This could save you from having to purchase that CD music again from an online music store.

Also, using the A&K CD ripper is rather simple. You put in a CD, select the rip speed, and choose FLAC or WAV file output and the rest is entirely automatic; you can walk away and do other things.

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #1,808 of 2,204
I purchased the A&K CD Ripper (PEM15). It looks nice (IMHO) and the quality of the ripped files is very, very good. There are two additional benefits to using the A&K ripper: All files are somehow examined over the internet (you will need to have WiFi turned on and have a stable connection to the internet) by the GraceNote database and the relevant metadata is returned including album art, track listings, etc. Secondly, your CDs will appear under the “CD Library” which is a separate organizational tool in the A&K main menu. You might find this to be useful if you know you want to listen to selections only from CD rips.

There is one issue that can sometimes come up with GraceNote: missing albums. For example, “Blade Runner: 2049” wasn’t part of GraceNote when I tried to rip the two CD set. In the end, I just bought the music in FLAC format from Qobuz since it had all the album art and other metadata properly attached. Maybe for these cases it might be useful to have another tool to manually attach metadata to files previously ripped by one of the well-known PC tools. This could save you from having to purchase that CD music again from an online music store.

Also, using the A&K CD ripper is rather simple. You put in a CD, select the rip speed, and choose FLAC or WAV file output and the rest is entirely automatic; you can walk away and do other things.

That’s always an issue when connecting to a database. Already had that problem when I originally ripped my CDs so I simply added in the info myself. It’s a pain at times. Oh well, the Cube is on its way so I’ll run dbpoweramp to see how it goes for now.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,809 of 2,204
Dumb question but, will kann cube power K1000

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #1,810 of 2,204
Cube in hand since yesterday afternoon and while I only put a few songs on it just to play around with; I must say this thing is pretty awesome with the SE846. I see now that I will have to get some full sized cans to sit back and relax in.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #1,811 of 2,204
Cube in hand since yesterday afternoon and while I only put a few songs on it just to play around with; I must say this thing is pretty awesome with the SE846.
Agreed.

fyi: I tried the shure bluetooth cable but there was massive connectivity issues with the kann cube and cayin n6ii

Was very good (not 100% perfect) with the iphone (aac) though.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #1,813 of 2,204
Hi, can someone help me with a question I have about the Kann Cube, please?

I am an owner of the SP1000M, but unfortunately it broke. I am interested in the Kann Cube and was wondering about the differences in sound quality.

The general consensus is that the SP1000M has much better sound quality, but what I want to know is if the differences in sound quality are really that huge, as in night and day. Or are the differences subtle, like you would have to listen very closely to tell the differences? Would going from SP1000M to Kann Cube really be a big downgrade in sound quality?

I understand they use different chipsets, which may influence how the music is perceived by listener, but if anyone could help answer my question, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #1,814 of 2,204
Hi, can someone help me with a question I have about the Kann Cube, please?

I am an owner of the SP1000M, but unfortunately it broke. I am interested in the Kann Cube and was wondering about the differences in sound quality.

The general consensus is that the SP1000M has much better sound quality, but what I want to know is if the differences in sound quality are really that huge, as in night and day. Or are the differences subtle, like you would have to listen very closely to tell the differences? Would going from SP1000M to Kann Cube really be a big downgrade in sound quality?

I understand they use different chipsets, which may influence how the music is perceived by listener, but if anyone could help answer my question, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I owned both at the same time and the SP1000m is noticeably more detailed than the Cube. They do trade blows however and although the SP1000m has better detail retrieval it also felt more two dimensional to me. The Cube had a ‘fuller’ sound with a better foundation and more three-dimensionality. To put it as simple as I can, the SP1000m was more analytical and the cube is more organic.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,815 of 2,204
the cube is more powerful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back