Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #646 of 2,200
Thanks for responding so fast, it is Qoubuz 5.1.9. But I may have to take it back:
It happened a couple of times but then I turned the Cube off and on again and re started the Qobuz service it seems to be running fine. Hope it stays this way.
Is there a specific Qobuz version I should be using?

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #647 of 2,200
@wormcycle What version of the Qobuz app are you using?
Thanks for responding so fast, it is Qoubuz 5.1.9. But I may have to take it back:
It happened a couple of times but then I turned the Cube off and on again and re started the Qobuz service it seems to be running fine. Hope it stays this way.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #649 of 2,200
Better to spend the extra dollars for the AK case if you do not use the stand.

I have both...

Miter very slim material on sides.... look at how it does not fit around the buttons... and also does not come to the top.

the AK case looks much better you spend 1700 for the cube you want it to look good?

also here is a pic with my Z1R and my custom black 2.5mm balanced with Z1R connections... they look really good together AK leather almost identical to Z1R leather.

Is that custom cable 2.5 with a right angle plug? Where did you get it? Thx

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #650 of 2,200
Personally, I use 5.1.7 or 5.1.8 on most of my AK players and my Samsung S10. To me, 5.1.7 seems the most stable of the Qobuz apps on our players and on my Android phone.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 2, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #652 of 2,200
Thanks

Thanks, I have to figure out how to uninstall 5.1.9. Or can I just install 5.1.7 without removing 5.1.9?
Do not delete the currently installed version. Copy 5.1.7 to the OpenService folder on the KANN CUBE. unplug from computer and install from the Open Service List in the Services menu. The 5.1.7 will replace the 5.1.9 and any offline music and settings should be saved. If you delete the other version first, all of that will get deleted also.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #653 of 2,200
I would love to try out a streaming radio service, mainly as a way of finding new artists. I would prefer to stream better quality, hopefully cd quality, but diversity of music is really the main goal. Can anyone recommend a service compatible with the Kann Cube APK list of apps to best suit this purpose? Thanks!
If you want to hear what you want to hear in (CD or higher) quality streaming, sooner or later you will have to pay. In that case I can recommend my favourite, Qobuz. You can try it free for a month. Be prepared to stay, it is addictive. They have tons of suggestions in all music genres.

If you just want to find new artists without paying, and you can stand the ads, you can use Spotify. I liked it before I had first made a direct comparision between MP3 and CD on an AKG K812. I thought "oh, never MP3 again". Then my audiophile jurney started. Since then it has found it's place again, mainly on the go, when the background noise destroys the nuancen anyway, or the track can not be found on Qobuz, or the available bandwidth is not enough for HiRes streaming.

P.S. If you do not mind stacking you are not limited to the Cube APK list. You can use the Cube as USB DAC and amp with your phone or PC. Then any app can be used. I just mention it because it took me some time to realize this possibility. Somehow the KANN was not listed among the best mobile DAC/Amps on some hifi sites. For this case there is a funny streaming app from Greece, called "audiophile stream network".

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #654 of 2,200
If you want to hear what you want to hear in (CD or higher) quality streaming, sooner or later you will have to pay. In that case I can recommend my favourite, Qobuz. You can try it free for a month. Be prepared to stay, it is addictive. They have tons of suggestions in all music genres.

If you just want to find new artists without paying, and you can stand the ads, you can use Spotify. I liked it before I had first made a direct comparision between MP3 and CD on an AKG K812. I thought "oh, never MP3 again". Then my audiophile jurney started. Since then it has found it's place again, mainly on the go, when the background noise destroys the nuancen anyway, or the track can not be found on Qobuz, or the available bandwidth is not enough for HiRes streaming.

P.S. If you do not mind stacking you are not limited to the Cube APK list. You can use the Cube as USB DAC and amp with your phone or PC. Then any app can be used. I just mention it because it took me some time to realize this possibility. Somehow the KANN was not listed among the best mobile DAC/Amps on some hifi sites. For this case there is a funny streaming app from Greece, called "audiophile stream network".
Thanks, I will definitely give it a try. I have a parasound Zdac V2 on my HiFi, so streaming from other apps is no problem. I have yet to compare it to my Kann Cube. I want to utilize the XLR output first, and I have yet to find the right cable. I am obsessed with finding new music to add to my collection, and so far Tidal is pretty great for that. Streaming radio seems like it might be a nice way to add to it.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #655 of 2,200
A few questions in dac mode is there no way to keep the battery charged or out of the way of the dac/amp ? Because i ran into my kann cube battery dying on me and turning off. Also how does the openservice work ?

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #656 of 2,200
Do not delete the currently installed version. Copy 5.1.7 to the OpenService folder on the KANN CUBE. unplug from computer and install from the Open Service List in the Services menu. The 5.1.7 will replace the 5.1.9 and any offline music and settings should be saved. If you delete the other version first, all of that will get deleted also.
Is there no way to find out the wattage this thing puts out ?!

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #657 of 2,200
A few questions in dac mode is there no way to keep the battery charged or out of the way of the dac/amp ? Because i ran into my kann cube battery dying on me and turning off. Also how does the openservice work ?

How are you using it? Did you try running it with a powered USB port? Although I have yet to try the 4 pin XLR out or using the CUBE as a straight DAC by feeding it a digital signal through the USBC port, the Bluetooth and two other analog out ports (TRS and TRRS) will not run down the battery if the CUBE USBC port is connected to an adequate 5v power supply.

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #658 of 2,200
Is there no way to find out the wattage this thing puts out ?!

Power (W) = VRMS squared/ohm

12Vrms is max from the Cube, they give this spec. I will leave it to you to find what it is at other the lower gain levels if you want to know those (they are available).

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #659 of 2,200
really do not like it. The AK one is beautiful in person.

The AK case is fine. However, the Dignis one is supposed to be better for heat transfer.

@LinstantX Probably. Based on their past releases, I'm guessing it'll be somewhere in the $100-200 range, and anyone living overseas has to consider shipping costs as well.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #660 of 2,200
So far I am very happy with Kann Cube performance and quality. I like the interface, simple and intuitive. Cube accepts cards created on Win 8, LG V 30 ThinQ, DP-X1. The library was quickly scanned ,very few gaps in album art if any. Tagging in some cases is more accurate than on Roon core. Scrolling is very fast.
Connectivity: easy and bug free. The Cube is immediately recognized by Win 8.1.Wireless is reliable, BT pairing and connection stability is very good. Senn PXC 550 is a bitch to pair with anything, on Cube it showed on the list of devices and accepted pairing right away.

The price of the Cube XLR cable is silly ($199) but I think I will buy it. All my setups have balanced input, and if Kann Cube can a used as a single transport and high quality DAC, I would be able to sell so mid fi components I really do not need.
I cannot find the Kann Cube output impedance in the spec. I would think it is pretty low, because my Shure SE846 with white filter sound pretty crisp, at least from the SE output. I remember reading that Kann was 1.3 Ohm for balanced out, half of that for SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back