Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Aug 4, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #676 of 2,200
Another question please...
When I try to switch to car mode, I keep getting a message saying 'no song in now playing'. I can see I have 20+ songs in a playlist in the now playing screen, but this is in my (sideloaded) Tidal not the A&K now playing list. I'm not sure how this works? Do I somehow have to get my playlists into the A&K section?

Also I don't get the download slider for videos for some reason. I've downloaded them before on other devices so not sure why I can't now

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #677 of 2,200
SORRY NOT A CUBE ISSUE

one of the cable mfg labeled the R and L wrong!

Do not buy from KK Cable

Are you serious?. In your first email about this problem you wrote "if I play something with the 3.5mm balanced jack the stereo channels are reversed when played through the balanced 2.5mm jack."
Page 3 of the Kann Cube manual the shows the 3.5 port as "3.5mm Unbalanced Port / Optical Out Terminal".
You mean you plugged a balanced 3.5 mm cable to unbalanced port? And expected what?

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #678 of 2,200
No channel reverse issue here.

Any1 notice any sound change on the latest firmware? My is 1.13CN, I listen to same songs which I'm very familiar, is rougher on the high and vocals (female) , more hissing, I thought it was my earphone/cable issue until I find out a friend also experience the same thing after update his cube. We both have manually downgrade to 1.12 and agree better .
Interesting, I do not pretend to know the Kan Cube signal path but what I noticed is that the background is more quiet when I play the same tracks in Foobar2000. That after 1.13 upgrade. Did you downgrade to 1.12 without any issues?

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #679 of 2,200
If the upgrade has caused a audio quality degradation then I would most certainly think that A&K would fix that issue immediately if not sooner :)

Curious to know if a downgrade to 1.12 would cause my 1TB to stop working since it was the 1.13 that fixed it.

I thought I was hearing a muffed scratchy sound in mid range female song that I had been listening to after the upgrade,so much so that it caught my attention but I just didn't want to know that the upgrade made my cans sound worse!Or was it just my imagination?Time will tell.

I must say though that I am really impressed on how much better my Senns sound with the Cube as opposed to the KANN.

My last headphones and my last DAP and I'm a satisfied and happy camper.

Started this long journey with a crystal radio back in the early '50s and now here I am with my final audio video systems.

Done and done :D

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #681 of 2,200
>Started this long journey with a crystal radio ...

Just curious, a crystal radio that was self-powered and used hollow coil inductor with a ferrite rod that was moved up and down the coil to tune AM stations?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #682 of 2,200
Has anyone tried to use this device as a desktop/laptop usb audio device? If so, is there any lag on video playback, when used a USB Audio device in windows?
I am (mis)using the Kann Cube as a USB Audio device on a desktop PC with Win7. I do not remember if I have watched any video since I am having it. In games I have not noticed any lag, so I do not expect it in video playback. I will try.
I have looked at some video files. Lip movements and sound are nicely in sync. I have not experienced any lag.
However, I have noticed an issue with might limit the usage as USB DAC on a PC. Timely. I just saw that battery power was lower after the excercise. I will have to figure out if the Cube does not draw any power from the USB port, or the USB port on the PC supplies less juice than the Cube needs. It is a tricky question. If I would use the Cube as USB DAC on my phone or my laptop without charger, I would prefer Cube using it's own battery. On a destop PC, or a laptop with charger, I would prefer that Cann is charging through the USB port while used as USB DAC. I will consult the manual.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #683 of 2,200
Hello all, this is my first post... this seems like the right place to post it as I got my first problem solved back at post number 294 ...

oh, another question - when away from my home wifi, is it possible to hotspot to my iPhone? I haven't had any luck with this yet.

thanks any help appreciated...
I have just created a hotspot on an iPhone7, connected the Cube to it, started the sideloaded Spotify - it works. Connecting to Android hotspot also works.

Aug 4, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #684 of 2,200
If the upgrade has caused a audio quality degradation then I would most certainly think that A&K would fix that issue immediately if not sooner :)

Curious to know if a downgrade to 1.12 would cause my 1TB to stop working since it was the 1.13 that fixed it.

I thought I was hearing a muffed scratchy sound in mid range female song that I had been listening to after the upgrade,so much so that it caught my attention but I just didn't want to know that the upgrade made my cans sound worse!Or was it just my imagination?Time will tell.

I must say though that I am really impressed on how much better my Senns sound with the Cube as opposed to the KANN.

My last headphones and my last DAP and I'm a satisfied and happy camper.

Started this long journey with a crystal radio back in the early '50s and now here I am with my final audio video systems.

Done and done :D
The Kann was a horrible sounding dap.

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #685 of 2,200
Are you serious?. In your first email about this problem you wrote "if I play something with the 3.5mm balanced jack the stereo channels are reversed when played through the balanced 2.5mm jack."
Page 3 of the Kann Cube manual the shows the 3.5 port as "3.5mm Unbalanced Port / Optical Out Terminal".
You mean you plugged a balanced 3.5 mm cable to unbalanced port? And expected what?
no... 2.5mmm was reverse.

it was the cable mfg. they labeled R and L in reverse.

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #687 of 2,200
Did you downgrade to 1.12 without any issues?
No issue, place the file in the root folder.

I thought the amp icon in notification bar (1.13) is the shortcut of setting the gain but it doesn't do anything on cube, so I suppose it is for the sp1000 + sp1000amp

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #688 of 2,200
I have just created a hotspot on an iPhone7, connected the Cube to it, started the sideloaded Spotify - it works. Connecting to Android hotspot also works.

Awesome, yes I got it to work thanks!

Now Ive ripped a few CDs and put them in the cd ripping folder... and they show up in the AK player...I’ve still go no idea how to get my Tidal library to show up in there though. Not a major issue, but car mode won’t work with tidal unless I can make this work.

BTW, this Cube is an awesome piece of kit, loving it!

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #689 of 2,200
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #690 of 2,200
>Started this long journey with a crystal radio ...

Just curious, a crystal radio that was self-powered and used hollow coil inductor with a ferrite rod that was moved up and down the coil to tune AM stations?

Yes but you could get different construction types.They are still available.Laying in bed way back then at that age with that music,kept trying to hook up big long antennas with not much success if I remember correctly.Great way for a child to get started,at the beginning so to speak.My first recollection of having one is when I was around 6 or 7,circa early 50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back