Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #451 of 2,200
I bought the Cube due to it's ability to power everything I own, I don't have sub 14 ohm IEMS which would be my only concern on this player. The OI is between 1 and 2 ohms depending on SE vs. Balanced. Have yet to try the Beyer T1 but I doubt it will have any difficulty powering it. If IEM's were the only thing I wanted to power I'm not sure I would choose the Cube over other options.
Have you heard the sp2000, if so, how close is the sound signature to one another?

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #453 of 2,200
Have you heard the sp2000, if so, how close is the sound signature to one another?
Haven't heard the SP2000 but for the price difference it better be an improvement. My aim was also a "transportable" solution vs. a truly portable solution. The Cube goes from bedside to work, to the plane and hotel (when travelling). Were I to drop $3500 on something audio related it would be a pair of Revel F208's, not a DAP.

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #454 of 2,200
I bought the Cube due to it's ability to power everything I own, I don't have sub 14 ohm IEMS which would be my only concern on this player. The OI is between 1 and 2 ohms depending on SE vs. Balanced. Have yet to try the Beyer T1 but I doubt it will have any difficulty powering it. If IEM's were the only thing I wanted to power I'm not sure I would choose the Cube over other options.
The Cube for me can replace all of my player/dac/amp (including desktop) if I needed. Has enough to power any headphones I have. The sound coming from it is the most musically versatile with any genre. It does everything you need it to do all in one package. The only thing it lacks in is having a completely black noise floor and a PED EQ to correct some of the short coming of some of my headphones and iems. The Cube has been the best sounding of any of my equipment out of the box (so far).

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #455 of 2,200
The Cube for me can replace all of my player/dac/amp (including desktop) if I needed. Has enough to power any headphones I have. The sound coming from it is the most musically versatile with any genre. It does everything you need it to do all in one package. The only thing it lacks in is having a completely black noise floor and a PED EQ to correct some of the short coming of some of my headphones and iems. The Cube has been the best sounding of any of my equipment out of the box (so far).
What are your other equipment ?

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #456 of 2,200
For my portable I am also running a Fiio M11 with BA300S JP, and a S10+ with Q5 with AM3D amp. For my desktop running a RME ADI-2 dac and a Monolith 788 THX desktop amp. Have a JDS Labs Element and a Emotiva 100 BasX but they are lent out to my brother.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #457 of 2,200
Haven't heard the SP2000 but for the price difference it better be an improvement. My aim was also a "transportable" solution vs. a truly portable solution. The Cube goes from bedside to work, to the plane and hotel (when travelling). Were I to drop $3500 on something audio related it would be a pair of Revel F208's, not a DAP.
Those speakers would get played pretty loud where I am if I had them and in my situation, I'd be disturbing the peace!

Id better stick with the headphones and amp... lol

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #458 of 2,200
Can please someone confirm one error with Tidal app? Sideloaded app (for offline use), version 2.13.1
When you play files, screen off and press next button it skippes 2 or 3 tracks and then plays. To skip then to next track I must turn on screen, press next touch button and only then works.
Hardware button skips.
@JasonNYC could you please try to duplicate this error? Its kind of annoying.
I will sideload newer 2.13.2 later today to double check.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #459 of 2,200
MITER case has landed. Looks good, quality is good. Highly recommended. One notice - it makes KANN CUBE even thicker as has adjustable back.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #461 of 2,200
Can please someone confirm one error with Tidal app? Sideloaded app (for offline use), version 2.13.1
When you play files, screen off and press next button it skippes 2 or 3 tracks and then plays. To skip then to next track I must turn on screen, press next touch button and only then works.
Hardware button skips.
@JasonNYC could you please try to duplicate this error? Its kind of annoying.
I will sideload newer 2.13.2 later today to double check.
This is a known issue and has already been reported to our dev team.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 18, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #462 of 2,200
Can you post a photo?

Done :)

miter1.jpg
miter2.jpg
miter3.jpg
miter4.jpg
miter5.jpg
miter6.jpg
miter7.jpg
miter8.jpg
miter9.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #464 of 2,200
Nice case; shoulda waited to get it, but the pseudo-swanky AK Oliva I case I just received is pretty nice.

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #465 of 2,200
Mine should be in tomorrow. The Cube is big already, adding thickness doesn't concern me. I have the QP2R Miter case and the kickstand on the case adds the thickness. If you want a small profile player, the Cube isn't it. What I hope, when I receive the case, is to make it easier to hold without the "sharp" edges. Obviously also to protect the DAP from scratches while sitting on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back