Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #317 of 2,200
Hmmm ... if the purpose of equalization is to raise or lower the gain in specific bands on the incoming signal, then if the EQ is set to flat (zero boost /zero cut) then there should be no gain cut or added when engaging it. If there is clipping because of eq movements one makes, then you raised the freq too high. Not really understanding the reason for the all-flat EQ setting on the Cube being softer than the inactive setting... Unless, its because they want to allow user to bypass the AK "house sound" or system-applied mastering/tuning. If that is the case, that is the best of both worlds and would explain why the "house sound" is not applied to DSD (processing DSD audio requires conversions.) As a musician/engineer/producer this is my first AK device and I want to use it for music AND for critical listening to masters and mixes so I am super happy with the option for a flat setting.

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #318 of 2,200
It's a standard practice to lower the gain before the equalization on DAP. The dac working in fixed integer, you have to do it somewhere otherwise you end up clipping your dac. So all this house eq when eq switched off based on the fact there is a gain change seems a bit odd.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #321 of 2,200
Well looks to be "NO EQ HOUSE SOUND" it is just the brought down to give room for the EQ. I tested it by raising all the EQ across the range and did a listening test turning it on and off. Sounds exactly the same.

For go my rant earlier about the "EQ House Sound"

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #323 of 2,200
so , it still has a terrible EQ?

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #324 of 2,200
Well looks to be "NO EQ HOUSE SOUND" it is just the brought down to give room for the EQ. I tested it by raising all the EQ across the range and did a listening test turning it on and off. Sounds exactly the same.

For go my rant earlier about the "EQ House Sound"

Ok, so to your ears it is just a 5db reduction across the board when you engage the EQ? Going to check it out...I did notice the EQ doesn't seem to work with bluetooth headphones - sadly, because some of them could really use it!

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #326 of 2,200
Not sure if its 5 db, but whatever 5 gain is on the Cube's EQ setting. Just put in all slider up and turn on and off the EQ while listening. No changes heard.
FB_IMG_1537460948152.jpg

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #328 of 2,200
Does anyone know where i could find a mini xlr dust cap? I wish A&K would have put something like this with the Cube.
Great question, been thinking about that very thing.

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #329 of 2,200
I'm having some issues with organizing my library on the Cube - maybe its because i am new to DAP's - I have a lot of custom live tracks and studio tracks (not purchased) most are aiff some mp3 and some m4a and I am organizing them
Artist > Album> Song - with a cover.jpg if its not MP3 (for those I use tagr to insert the cover artwork) and then transferring to music/download folder. Can someone tell me if this is the best way to get everything to show up neatly in Cube? I am getting a lot of default AK placeholder art showing up

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #330 of 2,200
I'm having some issues with organizing my library on the Cube - maybe its because i am new to DAP's - I have a lot of custom live tracks and studio tracks (not purchased) most are aiff some mp3 and some m4a and I am organizing them
Artist > Album> Song - with a cover.jpg if its not MP3 (for those I use tagr to insert the cover artwork) and then transferring to music/download folder. Can someone tell me if this is the best way to get everything to show up neatly in Cube? I am getting a lot of default AK placeholder art showing up
Looks to me that there is something wrong with your tags. Try a different tag editor. I use MuiscBee for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back