Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #241 of 2,200
I saw this comment on Facebook: "According to Tidal, Tidal is not supported on Astell&Kern players. The Tidal app AK supply is unsupported and the native Tidal app does not work - key features like download and offline. Tidal ref to AK and AK ref to Tidal. When will you fix this? ... and Roon and ... ?"

Maybe @JasonNYC can clarify?
For the native Astell & Kern Tidal application, downloads/offline are not supported (Tidal won't allow it, I believe due to their deals/licensing with the music labels). You have to use the Open APP Service to sideload the Android Tidal app, which behaves exactly the same as on a smartphone, including downloads/offline.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #242 of 2,200
Just reporting back about the battery: I have been listening today on and off about 2 hours (or a bit more) of play time through Verite, with volume at 75-80/150 and high gain, solo piano/keys, orchestral and jazz, and the battery dropped to 50%. I think the type of music makes a difference, as it has lots of spaces especially with the solo piano.

I saw this comment on Facebook: "According to Tidal, Tidal is not supported on Astell&Kern players. The Tidal app AK supply is unsupported and the native Tidal app does not work - key features like download and offline. Tidal ref to AK and AK ref to Tidal. When will you fix this? ... and Roon and ... ?"

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #243 of 2,200
I think with that non-stop RRRRRRRDAAATTAAAGROOOWWLLL it should definitely be lower than the 4h total play time. :p

The manual says to plan on connecting an external power source if you are using the amp in High Gain mode. Your IEM/Headphone efficiency will have the biggest effect on battery life. Without having tried Line Out yet, I've found Bluetooth, which also doesn't use the amps, has the longest battery life.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #244 of 2,200
The manual says to plan on connecting an external power source if you are using the amp in High Gain mode. Your IEM/Headphone efficiency will have the biggest effect on battery life. Without having tried Line Out yet, I've found Bluetooth, which also doesn't use the amps, has the longest battery life.

If you are sending the Bluetooth signal from your phone or another device to the Kann, and are not using line out, you are using the amp section of the Kann.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #245 of 2,200
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #246 of 2,200
Thought its amp was one of the highlights in buying this dap.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #247 of 2,200
The embedded Tidal app is supported by AK, as it is embedded in our firmware, it is our responsibility. Even though it was jointly developed with Tidal and they certified it, we are responsible for support. We are prohibited from allowing offline support on the embedded app because embedded apps are prohibited from offline mode due to the wording in Tidal's contacts with the record labels. There was an official statement from Tidal about this when the embedded app was first launched on the AK240 years ago. In the years since, we have been told we could maybe add it, then told later by legal that we could not. We actually have an embedded app with offline mode ready to go if we are ever given the legal green light.

The Tidal Android APK, when sideloaded on AK players with OpenApp service do allow offline mode. Technically, while Tidal is responsible for support of the Android app, like most major app developers, they usually do not support sideloaded apps.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 27, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #251 of 2,200
I think he's talking about using the Cube as a sender, not a receiver. You can't send analog out onto bluetooth.
That's why I mentioned if the Kann Cube is being used as a receiver for the signal.

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #253 of 2,200
I think he's talking about using the Cube as a sender, not a receiver. You can't send analog out onto bluetooth.

Yes, if you don't use the amps the battery runs down substantially less than if you do. Sometimes more than one person wants to listen and in this situation, the Bluetooth works quite well with little battery drain. I've also found that you can use the 3 pole TRS output to connect to car stereos that have analog inputs. With my car, the Bluetooth only connects cell phones; but the car has an analog input which the stereo detects and passes the signal directly to the car speakers bypassing the amp. In this situation, the KANN^3 provides the amplification. On a 6 hr. drive, I had 50% battery left but the music was not particularly complex.

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #255 of 2,200
For the native Astell & Kern Tidal application, downloads/offline are not supported (Tidal won't allow it, I believe due to their deals/licensing with the music labels). You have to use the Open APP Service to sideload the Android Tidal app, which behaves exactly the same as on a smartphone, including downloads/offline.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back