Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #166 of 2,200
I received my KANN Cube a day ago. I did some initial listening with my HE-560 and Focal Clear headphones. Considering that my Cube has not been burned in, the sound is very good. The Cube does not seem to add any coloration to the sound; rather, it seems to play true to source meaning bad recording sound bad and good recordings sound great. The dynamics in the playback are very good as well and I sense an almost 3D soundscape in my headphones, very full sound! I am particularly impressed with well recorded vocals such as Greg Brown (Honey in the Lion's Head), anything from Chesky, and The Civil Wars. Lately I have been in interested in electronic, ambient, down temple, music (see Ultimae on Bandcamp). I am listening to Granite by Martin Nonstatic (24 Bit) now and the KANN Cube is reproducing the lows without hesitation (my friend will not complain about bass on the Clears after he listens to the Cube!). Another cool thing is the Cube has plenty of power to drive my power hungry HE-560. I am a little surprised at how quickly the battery drains and I would like a case for it ASAP. I played 3 albums so far today (medium amp setting) and the battery is already at 67% from a freshly charged battery. My previous headphone gear was Ayre CODEX and A&K KANN (point of reference). I also listen to KEF LS50 Wireless with a SVSound SB-3000 Sub. Oh man, that sub...

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #168 of 2,200
I am trying to add the KANN Cube to Roon on my MAC. It might be fun to install Roon Remote on the Cube and access Roon from anywhere in my house. The only way I can get it to work is connecting via USB and putting it in DAC mode. How can I connect the DAP to Roon over WiFi or is the only way to connect it is by USB?

Speaking of connecting to my computer, can I use a 3rd party USB-C to USB-C cable or Thunderbolt (USB-C to USB-C) cable or should I only use the supplied USB-A to USB-C cable?

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #169 of 2,200
And any sound impressions while rest of us waiting for their units to be dispatched? :)
And any sound impressions while rest of us waiting for their units to be dispatched? :)

It will blow your mind, with all that power the Cube made my SR15 sound like a tin can, i did try it with my SE846 Shure IEM and WOW everything sound so differnt the sound separation is Huge, i got mine already order.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #170 of 2,200
Two new features coming to KANN CUBE in next firmware update on 6/27:

• Car Mode function - When enabled, a more simplified display for one-handed use in the car
  • EQ Sync Function - ability to save and export EQ settings and share with others. Ability to import custom EQ settings. Headphone manufacturers can also release customized EQ settings to match their headphones to our players.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 14, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #173 of 2,200
When something comes along that makes all your headphones sound better than they ever have, to me that is impressive. So color me impressed. You can see my posts on "What are you listening to right now?" The first post was TIDAL with the Kann Cube and several headphones/IEMS. The second is FLAC with the Kann Cube and several Headphones/IEMS. There will be another with 320kbps when I get around to it. Now back to the Kann Cube. I have what I would think is a pretty clear impression of where I stand in the HeadFi community. This can be summed up simply as (Best Bang For The Buck). Given this stance then maybe my impression of the Kann Cube is just a natural progression of MidFi to SummitFi giving the cost. But, maybe the reviews will come in establishing the Kann Cube as the truly (End Game) Audiophile Nirvana device of our times for those seeking the (Best Bang For The Buck). For me it has been exactly that.

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #174 of 2,200
Yes, KANN CUBE includes a leather case in the retail box. It's similar to the case for the SP1000 AMP. I thought I took some pics of it, but can't find it in the moment. Below are the pics of the SP1000 case. The KANN CUBE has a similar design on the back.

No case at all in the retail box I received. Just bare metal. Why's that?

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #176 of 2,200
Perhaps the wrong thread for discussion?

I’d like a good portable and have been waiting for 2Go for Hugo 2. (I love Chord). Therefore, the size of the KANN Cube isn’t an issue for me.

As I weigh the balances, a tipping point is no Chord app—relying upon 3rd party apps brings uncertainty.

I’d like to have my music w me, which means SD card.

I can’t always predict what I’ll want to hear, especially in travel.

I love Qobuz & the offline accessibility is nice but I’m purchasing my own...one never knows where a business will land.

Accessing my own & having large files—I look forward to more reviews about the ease and efficiency of using larger micro SD cards.

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #179 of 2,200
post #116

Might be a good idea to edit in a correction on posts like the one rlawi quoted to reduce accidental spread of misinformation.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #180 of 2,200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back