Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #841 of 2,200
Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0. When fast charging with the player off, you will see the lightning bolt icon at the bottom shown in this pic:

Sorry @JasonNYC but I just checked and I got this small icon on with every charger. Even with old powerbank which is 5V only, not even close to any QuickCharge system.

Any other way to check if working with QuickCharge as this one fails? I'm asking cause my charging time is very, very slow and I wanted to buy dedicated charger for this if this is not working properly.
So far all charges that I connect show this icon you mentioned. And for sure half of them is not QC compatible.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #842 of 2,200
Sorry @JasonNYC but I just checked and I got this small icon on with every charger. Even with old powerbank which is 5V only, not even close to any QuickCharge system.

Any other way to check if working with QuickCharge as this one fails? I'm asking cause my charging time is very, very slow and I wanted to buy dedicated charger for this if this is not working properly.
So far all charges that I connect show this icon you mentioned. And for sure half of them is not QC compatible.
The bottom icon with lightning bolt does not appear when I do not use a quick charger.

Standard charger:

non fast charge.jpg

Fast Charge:

fast charge icon.jpg

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #843 of 2,200
The bottom icon with lightning bolt does not appear when I do not use a quick charger.

Standard charger:

Fast Charge:

Mine is the same as @nicodem. It shows that lightning bolt icon regardless of charger. Heck just plugging it into an old laptop the icon comes up.

For what it's worth I picked up this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPD5T5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works nicely (CUBE manual says 1.67a/9v charger). It can still charge while I'm using it. Before it would drain while being used even while being charged by my computer.

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #844 of 2,200
Mine is the same as @nicodem. It shows that lightning bolt icon regardless of charger. Heck just plugging it into an old laptop the icon comes up.

For what it's worth I picked up this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPD5T5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works nicely (CUBE manual says 1.67a/9v charger). It can still charge while I'm using it. Before it would drain while being used even while being charged by my computer.

I just tried 1A charger for IKEA desktop lamp. Definetly not QuickCharge and I got this icon on. :)

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #845 of 2,200
Unfortunately the way Bluetooth is implemented among car manufacturers is inconsistent and results vary by manufacturer, so we recommend not using Bluetooth to connect. For best results, we recommend using an aux connection for best sound quality. Our devices currently do not support Android Auto, but it is something we will look into for the future.

How do I connect using an "aux connection"?

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #848 of 2,200
How did you found Cube less then Cowon Plenue,or the SP1000 ( both version) For me they are not in the same league, as good as they are KC has everything better.. less noise at powerful levels bigger soundstage better sound. Maybe not as warm as SP 1000 but damn clear.. not so Analytical as Hugo 2 but close enough and really analytical enough and you can power any headphone?

Aug 17, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #850 of 2,200
I would say that THIS is fast charge icon...
@JasonNYC could you please clarify these icons for us?

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #851 of 2,200
While turned on:

NO CHARGE:
20190817_121652~2.jpg

STANDARD CHARGE (USB2/USB3/even at a 5V 2.1A fast charger was showing this):
20190817_121746_HDR~2(1).jpg

QUALCOMM QUICK CHARGE:
20190817_121642(1).jpg

Note the three bars in front of the flash sign:
20190817_121642(1)(1).jpg

Aug 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #852 of 2,200
Thanks! THis is exactly what I needed to know. So far now I do not had then any chance to go with QuickCharge with Kann.
Tried with charges from - DELL laptop, Pixel3a, Oneplus7PRO - all have different protocols so not charging fast.
Will have to buy next one (again...)

And USB-C was supposed to be a solution to charging nightmare :)

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #853 of 2,200
Unfortunately the way Bluetooth is implemented among car manufacturers is inconsistent and results vary by manufacturer, so we recommend not using Bluetooth to connect. For best results, we recommend using an aux connection for best sound quality. Our devices currently do not support Android Auto, but it is something we will look into for the future.

That is true, mostly it is related to difficulties managing media playback and calls on the the car standard BT. There is a solution for that but it may be a bit expensive, depending on a car. I bought this thing two years ago for playing media from my phone but they are build for specific cars: CoolStream Bluetooth Adapter for 2011 or Earlier Mercedes iPod iPhone 30 Pin Cable CarPro. They build devices for other cars around $70, and the one supposedly for MB should work with any car that has iPod cable connection. I can pair it with Cube and it works, the same with my phone. It does not interfere with the car BT provided that you turn off calls on the new device. It has advantage over a BT receiver connected to AUX because it charges from IPod cable, and the SQ is pretty good.

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #855 of 2,200
Can someone comment on the sq difference between se100 and KC? I found KC a little too heavy and bulky and thinking about exchanging with se100. What I am really interested in knowing is how se100 fares against KC with amp set to high gain and low gain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back