Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,061 of 3,321
You say very few have this problem, then say you've "seen a few" on this forum alone. Yet another person had this very same problem just a day or so. So in reality you and anyone else have absolutely no idea how many people have this problem, especially as this forum represents a very small sample of all purchases.

There really is no reason why this should happen. I was actually concerned that there was something really wrong with my music library when ordering the Fiio X5, that's not the problem though. The problem is with this device.

I ordered this on ebay while in Germany, than had my gal send it to me with the care package she had for me.  And I was just too busy working 55 hrs a week to bother after I had given up on it. So I am out 400.00 on this piece of crap. minus whatever I can sell for it. So its like what they say about statistics, whether unemployment or casualties of war.  If the unemployment rate is six percent, it is 100 percent if you are one of that six percent, just as fatality rates are 100 percent for you if you are one of the fallen.

As I said before, it does not help that you and other apologists attempt to minimize this as just a negligible few.  No one really knows how many are affected by this, just as no one was able to help me to get it to work, just as others seem to have the very same problem.  And yet few reviews or commentaries highlight this problem, making others susceptible to throwing their money away as I have.

Again, the cavalier atttidue shown by you and others like you has caused me to take a loss of 380.00 at worst, 200 at best.

I'm not an apologist, first off. I am not minimizing anything that A&K has done with this product. It has flaws, I won't deny that, but you have to understand that the unhappy are much more vocal than the happy when it comes to forums like these. The reason the reviews don't mention problems is because THEY DIDNT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. Reviewers write reviews based on personal experience. I don't know a single person who would gloss over the type of problems you are having. If a reviewer says they had a problem they had it personally. Just like posts here. I know it seems like a ton of people are having this problem, but that is because one of them is you. I'm not trying to be offensive, but it's the truth. I had a fiio x5ii for a short while and it was defective. It broke within the first week and I felt awful about it. I felt like there should definitely be more cases of this, more problems like mine, but there weren't any. Sometimes there are just problems in a very small percentage of products.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #3,062 of 3,321
Very quickly, several reviews mention a laggy ui in passing. No mention of these sorts of problems.  Iriver is lucky they have not been sued.

And yes people are vocal and should be vocal when they are fleeced for hundreds of dollars.

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #3,063 of 3,321
Very quickly, several reviews mention a laggy ui in passing. No mention of these sorts of problems.  Iriver is lucky they have not been sued.

And yes people are vocal and should be vocal when they are fleeced for hundreds of dollars.

No one mentioned these problems because none of them had it. Mentioning problems you didn't have is creating them out of thin air. When you do that you damage the company with your reviews for no reason.
And yes, I agree with you that you should be vocal when you have a problem. The difference is that you have to remember that sometimes problems are only as big as you make them, and sometimes only limited to yourself. That's what I did when my Fiio broke. That doesn't mean blindly trust the company. When I returned my Fiio I realized that I had a second chance to really look into other players and pick one that was best for me. And even though my experience was in the vast minority it tarnished my opinion of the x5ii enough for me to pick a different player. But when I talk about the x5ii now I don't mention the problems I had because they were problems with my unit that was defective and not the product overall.

Please, understand, I'm not trying to sound condescending or mean, but I want to make you understand that what you are experiencing is not normal for this product.

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,065 of 3,321
  Yes it is normal in that it has happened to multiple people on this thread alone.  Too bad I do not have better things to do or I would go through it and show you.

People generally come to forums for help. If you had no issues with your AK Jr, would you know about other peoples' issues? Would you even be on this forum? I doubt it. Just look through your post history, it's just you looking for help with the AK Jr, then complaining about the AK Jr, then looking for help for your FiiO X5ii, then more complaining about the AK Jr. So yea, you'll find people in this thread who run into problems and there are people here who can try to help with them - that is what threads like these are for. I'm sure if you go through the X5ii thread, there will be people with some problems, but just because you haven't run into them, you'll continue thinking the X5ii is without flaws.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #3,066 of 3,321

I think we can all agree that the Jr doesn't have the best UI. Mine is slow and often buggy but the sound is great. It is quite apparent that this is A&K's red-haired step child and we can probably not expect a fix for the problems as quite a few on this forum have experienced problems of some nature and we have appealed to A&K to give us an update revision of the UI but it has never happened. It seems we were just dropped like a hot potato and A&K moved on to new products. Very poor customer/after sales service in my opinion. For this reason A&K will never see any more money from me for their products no matter how good they are. I am not throwing a tantrum or being negative, just stating facts. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #3,067 of 3,321

People generally come to forums for help. If you had no issues with your AK Jr, would you know about other peoples' issues? Would you even be on this forum? I doubt it. Just look through your post history, it's just you looking for help with the AK Jr, then complaining about the AK Jr, then looking for help for your FiiO X5ii, then more complaining about the AK Jr. So yea, you'll find people in this thread who run into problems and there are people here who can try to help with them - that is what threads like these are for. I'm sure if you go through the X5ii thread, there will be people with some problems, but just because you haven't run into them, you'll continue thinking the X5ii is without flaws.

I am not aware of any sorts of problems with the X5ii that compare with this, something which prevents the product from being used at all. Again, the UI problems are glossed over or mentioned in passing on certain reviews. If there are such problems, feel free to prove me wrong.
Oh and I really did not have a problem with the X5ii, just asked how to update firmware.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #3,068 of 3,321
Even i am puzzled by what people call slow UI. I always browse by folder. The experience if fine for the 64gb internal and 64gb sd card. They are about 80% full as well. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #3,069 of 3,321
I am not aware of any sorts of problems with the X5ii that compare with this, something which prevents the product from being used at all. Again, the UI problems are glossed over or mentioned in passing on certain reviews. If there are such problems, feel free to prove me wrong.
Oh and I really did not have a problem with the X5ii, just asked how to update firmware.

My x5ii turned off and refused to turn back on. The reason you didn't hear about it is because I didn't go raise a huge fuss because Fiio is a good company and I didn't want to damage their reputation with my problems, knowing that defective products make up only a tiny, minuscule fraction of the products that they make overall. If your AK Jr is defective, then that isn't entirely the fault of the company. Sometimes products are just defective. Have you tried to get it replaced, contacted A&K or the seller? How long have you had it?

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3,070 of 3,321

I didn't say you had problems with the X5ii, but that you only come to Head-Fi when you need help. Most people are like this on other forums as well, they only show up when they need help. That's why you can easily find people with problems in these product threads - because they come here for help. Just because you find a few people here who had a similar problem to yours doesn't mean it is a widespread problem that everyone has experienced. If a reviewer didn't mention having a problem like yours, they clearly haven't encountered it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #3,072 of 3,321
Adding a further impression here now I've had it a couple of weeks and have used it everyday on top of my last massive post a few pages back.

I've learnt to accept the UI speed and work around its flaws - it's actually on the whole a fantastic simple UI you just cannot scroll fast with it whatsoever like a modern smartphone. If you do it often hangs scrolling, or clicks things by mistake. You need to scroll slowly with long slow sweeps to browse albums - when you do this it works fine. I love how simple and clutter free the UI is now I know how to actually use the dated touchscreen on this device.

I'm loving the SQ more and more that I listen. It's SO musical sounding. No, it isn't some flat neutral reference device and it's not an analytical sound but it just makes music sound, well... musical.

I find myself constantly tapping along to stuff with my feet which has never really happened with any other player, it's not "fun" or bass boosted or anything but just relaxingly laid back kind of like the Sennheiser house sound or the HD650's are.

Vocals are far and away this players strength - absolutely crystal clear. The music itself and instruments take a back seat with vocals being the main thing you hear on nearly every song from my experience.

It's never, ever fatiguing.

I don't think this can be classed as a reference grade hi-res player, it's not neutral enough. But for going amp free and listening to IEM's it's just an incredibly slim, lightweight and euphorically enveloping musical experience.

Now I've gotten over the touchscreen sluggishness I really can't find any other flaws about this device. Slow scrolling works fine and I'm happy with everything else it does. I seriously recommend it, even though we all know it will never get another firmware update at this point and has been abandoned.

I don't even need any sort of EQ whatsoever, it just sounds perfect as is out the box.

Listening entirely to 60's/70's rock and 80's/90's pop for what it's worth.

I LOVE the physical track controls and volume wheel. I'd kill for phones to have these features.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,073 of 3,321
Posted a review, as there was only one: http://www.head-fi.org/products/astell-kern-ak-jr-hi-res-music-player-64gb/reviews/18268

I really loved this thing, but I see how the flaws were crippling for others.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #3,074 of 3,321

I think we can all agree that the Jr doesn't have the best UI. Mine is slow and often buggy but the sound is great. It is quite apparent that this is A&K's red-haired step child and we can probably not expect a fix for the problems as quite a few on this forum have experienced problems of some nature and we have appealed to A&K to give us an update revision of the UI but it has never happened. It seems we were just dropped like a hot potato and A&K moved on to new products. Very poor customer/after sales service in my opinion. For this reason A&K will never see any more money from me for their products no matter how good they are. I am not throwing a tantrum or being negative, just stating facts. 

Don't forget the Phantom DAC ability. Some get it to work, others can only imagine what it's like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back