Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3,052 of 3,321
Hi
I bought one of these yesterday and I'm having real problems indexing a library on either the SD or HD. I dragged over (eventually) about 12K tracks split onto the SD and HD from what I read on here I have some some problem with some of my music files. Any ideas how I find out where the errors are?
Thanks!

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #3,053 of 3,321
  Hi
I bought one of these yesterday and I'm having real problems indexing a library on either the SD or HD. I dragged over (eventually) about 12K tracks split onto the SD and HD from what I read on here I have some some problem with some of my music files. Any ideas how I find out where the errors are?
Thanks!

Could be improper tags, i retagged all my music, not an pleasant task, but did it none the less, you could also have album art that may be too big, either embedded or a jpg file in the folder, mine consisted of flac files that were not tagged correctly plus having bigger than needed album art. I used MP3tag to get everything squared away. Search function in the thread will tell you what to do with the music files.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #3,054 of 3,321
Thanks, I noticed when I tried deleting some files my pc was thinking some of the artwork was system files, it's a lot to go through mind you...I also reckon it freezed when trying to catalogue anything with some form of DRM on it. I don't know MP3tag but will investigate, 

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #3,055 of 3,321
can anyone recommend a good place to start when kicking off a hi-res collection, I have used HD tracks online & find there service good but a tad expensive. I want to rip my cd's in the best sounding bitrate where possible & ensure that I have the album artwork embedded as hate having no artwork on my albums. sold my old cd collection a few years back & deeply regret doing so. just starting up again & buying a few albums a month when possible. I will be getting this player for a pressie in a few weeks so want to get a collection up & running to just drag & drop on there. cheers for any replies. I am going through the thread but it's over 200 pages long. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,056 of 3,321
  Hi
Thanks!

I for one was never able to crack the code.  I bought a second player a few weeks ago, the FIIO X5 ii, and did not have any such problems. Even if I am able to sell it for 200 or a little more, I am still taking a bath fora bout 200.00

The user interface on this is really flawed and not just because of the experiences you and I have had.  Both an ipod classic and fiio x5 ii are a lot more user friendly.  Why this is not discussed more is beyond me.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,057 of 3,321
I for one was never able to crack the code.  I bought a second player a few weeks ago, the FIIO X5 ii, and did not have any such problems. Even if I am able to sell it for 200 or a little more, I am still taking a bath fora bout 200.00

The user interface on this is really flawed and not just because of the experiences you and I have had.  Both an ipod classic and fiio x5 ii are a lot more user friendly.  Why this is not discussed more is beyond me.

It has been discussed to death. For most this is made up for by the sound quality, but for some it is not. I had an x5ii as well, but I couldn't go back now that I've heard the AK Jr. The x5ii was too analytical for me, almost boring when compared to the AK Jr.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,058 of 3,321
I do not mean on here I mean on reviews of the product--you know, things people read to make their decision on what to purchase.  I find it inexcusable that some measure of supposedly superior sound quality justifies this. It does not and cannot. Even if you can get it to work (I gave up), how is it worth untold hours of pruning and modifying a music library. Again, both my ipod classic, from which my library is taken, and the Fiio X5 ii had zero problems. None.

In this way, I feel that people who try to excuse this are doing a great disservice as it is luring people to buy a defective product.  When something is so bad that there is some question as to whether a large number of consumers will be able to use it at all, that's a product defect.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,059 of 3,321
I do not mean on here I mean on reviews of the product--you know, things people read to make their decision on what to purchase.  I find it inexcusable that some measure of supposedly superior sound quality justifies this. It does not and cannot. Even if you can get it to work (I gave up), how is it worth untold hours of pruning and modifying a music library. Again, both my ipod classic, from which my library is taken, and the Fiio X5 ii had zero problems. None.

In this way, I feel that people who try to excuse this are doing a great disservice as it is luring people to buy a defective product.  When something is so bad that there is some question as to whether a large number of consumers will be able to use it at all, that's a product defect.

Not sure what you mean. I literally dragged and dropped my entire iTunes library on it with no problem. I didn't have to tag or organize anything. Very few people seem to have this problem truthfully. I've only seen a few since I got on this thread.
I will agree with you that it seems almost like an incomplete product for the retail price, but I haven't had near the problems that you seem to have had. And I'm not glossing over them or ignoring them, I am being completely honest.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #3,060 of 3,321
Not sure what you mean. I literally dragged and dropped my entire iTunes library on it with no problem. I didn't have to tag or organize anything. Very few people seem to have this problem truthfully. I've only seen a few since I got on this thread.
I will agree with you that it seems almost like an incomplete product for the retail price, but I haven't had near the problems that you seem to have had. And I'm not glossing over them or ignoring them, I am being completely honest.

You say very few have this problem, then say you've "seen a few" on this forum alone. Yet another person had this very same problem just a day or so. So in reality you and anyone else have absolutely no idea how many people have this problem, especially as this forum represents a very small sample of all purchases.

There really is no reason why this should happen. I was actually concerned that there was something really wrong with my music library when ordering the Fiio X5, that's not the problem though. The problem is with this device.

I ordered this on ebay while in Germany, than had my gal send it to me with the care package she had for me.  And I was just too busy working 55 hrs a week to bother after I had given up on it. So I am out 400.00 on this piece of crap. minus whatever I can sell for it. So its like what they say about statistics, whether unemployment or casualties of war.  If the unemployment rate is six percent, it is 100 percent if you are one of that six percent, just as fatality rates are 100 percent for you if you are one of the fallen.

As I said before, it does not help that you and other apologists attempt to minimize this as just a negligible few.  No one really knows how many are affected by this, just as no one was able to help me to get it to work, just as others seem to have the very same problem.  And yet few reviews or commentaries highlight this problem, making others susceptible to throwing their money away as I have.

Again, the cavalier atttidue shown by you and others like you has caused me to take a loss of 380.00 at worst, 200 at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back