Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3,031 of 3,321
  your JR works in DAC mode with standard cable on desktop Windows 10? man... why it doesn't work for me then? can you please write what motherboard do you have? and what firmware version is installed on your JR?

also do you have any issues with it when playing games or watching video? any delay, desyncs or sound artifacts?

thanks

HP Pavilion P7-1054 P7-1074 AM3 Desktop Motherboard PBMPB0DD6ZB7C0 620887-001
1.03 is my A&k Jr. firmware, it's an older computer, came with windows 7 originally, though up graded when 10 was available.
I've not tried video per se, generally just listening from the headphones on the jr., checking out the dac. I don't even play game on the pc, all my gaming is done on my PS4.
Looks as if it's hit & miss with the DAC function, go figure.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #3,032 of 3,321
It seems like the biggest factor for the DAC function is USB 3.0. It sounds like older computers have no trouble using the DAC function, while newer ones are hat and miss. Again, I feel like A&K really let the Jr down in this regard. It's a shame really, because if they ironed out the bugs in the UI and updated it so that the DAC function worked it would be a really spectacular device all around, but at this point the only things worth keeping it for is the sound and the sleek profile.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #3,033 of 3,321
Yes, seems they don't care and forcing me to buy a new one, is upsetting because the size of the JR is perfect for me, I don't want a brick in my pocket;  makes me think to go to another brand, the offer is huge now.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #3,038 of 3,321
Guys, I am seriously considering getting one of those puppies ( gonna be my first ever A&K player ), and I read very unsettling reviews, when it comes to sluggishness and unresponsiveness of the UI. A representative of A&K apparently had promised that those issues would be resolved in a firmware update - no idea if that actually happened, and if the issue is fixed now. The main thing that is important to me is the sound, but if the UI is really THAT ****ty and that slow, that would be largely annoying to me as well.
If anyone could chime in with an up-to-date opinion as to the CURRENT state of the device's UI ( with the latest firmware ), that would be awesome.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,039 of 3,321
  Guys, I am seriously considering getting one of those puppies ( gonna be my first ever A&K player ), and I read very unsettling reviews, when it comes to sluggishness and unresponsiveness of the UI. A representative of A&K apparently had promised that those issues would be resolved in a firmware update - no idea if that actually happened, and if the issue is fixed now. The main thing that is important to me is the sound, but if the UI is really THAT ****ty and that slow, that would be largely annoying to me as well.
If anyone could chime in with an up-to-date opinion as to the CURRENT state of the device's UI ( with the latest firmware ), that would be awesome.

1.03 is the latest firmware i have on my Jr. I use folder view always as it does a good job of getting through my internal and external memory.
I think we all would like to see improvement in the firmware regarding the UI, but i'm good with folder view myself, the sq speaks for itself.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #3,040 of 3,321
Cheers for the quick response. I read some of the posts back in the thread, the situation doesn't seem as bad as it was made out to be. 

One important question: does the lag only occur when an SD card is plugged in, with many songs being enumerated off it by the firmware? 64GB is plenty much for me, so I can just resort to using the built-in memory, if that's the case.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3,041 of 3,321
  Cheers for the quick response. I read some of the posts back in the thread, the situation doesn't seem as bad as it was made out to be. 

One important question: does the lag only occur when an SD card is plugged in, with many songs being enumerated off it by the firmware? 64GB is plenty much for me, so I can just resort to using the built-in memory, if that's the case.

I bolded the important poart. It really wasn't. To answer your second question, the lag only occurred, for me at least, when browsing an indexed library. Browsing via folders solved everything. It didn't matter if it was internal memory or off the SD.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,042 of 3,321

No lag to really disappoint on the mSD, i've got a 200gb card in my unit, and it's quite full as is my internal, mostly flac files 16bit x 44 with plenty of 24bit x 96 some dsd files also. All play nice with Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back