Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #3,016 of 3,321
If you are trying to use usb 3 port it wont work. I have a 2.5k msi laptop with all usb 3 port no 2.0 and i wasted 600 on a jr thinking it would be a decent DAC
I already had a dx50 wich performs better overall , down with ak

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #3,019 of 3,321
I just bought and received my AKjr from Amazon - went for a silver one in the end with the black official case (like someone on here told me to do) since I couldn't find a black one. I've got to admit as soon as I put this into the black case I no longer wanted the black model. The same happened when I bought a silver Nexus 6p but wanted the black one. As soon as I put it into a black case and it has the contrasting black/silver effect with parts poking out like the fingerprint scanner, USB/headphone port etc I no longer wanted a black one at all. The black and silver combo looks so much more awesome than black on black I think and gives it a sleek contrasting look.

I'll post back once I can actually update and listen to the thing, it feels like it takes forever to charge just like the Fiio X5ii I had at about 4 hours compared to barely 1 hour on my iPod.

From the second I got it out the box it felt infinitely more premium and high quality than the Fiio X5ii though for what it's worth. Especially the Apple-esque packaging.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #3,020 of 3,321
I just bought and received my AKjr from Amazon - went for a silver one in the end with the black official case (like someone on here told me to do) since I couldn't find a black one. I've got to admit as soon as I put this into the black case I no longer wanted the black model. The same happened when I bought a silver Nexus 6p but wanted the black one. As soon as I put it into a black case and it has the contrasting black/silver effect with parts poking out like the fingerprint scanner, USB/headphone port etc I no longer wanted a black one at all. The black and silver combo looks so much more awesome than black on black I think and gives it a sleek contrasting look.

I'll post back once I can actually update and listen to the thing, it feels like it takes forever to charge just like the Fiio X5ii I had at about 4 hours compared to barely 1 hour on my iPod.

From the second I got it out the box it felt infinitely more premium and high quality than the Fiio X5ii though for what it's worth. Especially the Apple-esque packaging.

My first thoughts as well. Just wait till you plug something into it and that warm, sweet, musical melody comes out. That's why I can't send it back. The UI is a bit tiring, and I couldn't get the USB DAC feature to work, but the sound was much too good for me to go back to something else.

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3,021 of 3,321
Hi All

I'm not sure how I'd feel about the Jr if I'd shelled out €500+ when it came out but now it's £249/€300 I was happy to take the plunge. I've read all the concerns regarding the UI and using it as a DAC but for me the Sound Quality was the important factor.

It's my first foray into Hi Res audio and for that price was worth the gamble (and buying through Amazon I could return if it didn't work out). I know there are other options around that price but knew I really liked way Wolfson made music - a more 'analogue' approach.

Having had the AK Jr for a week now I'm still blown away with the sound. I can't be going back to standard def now. It won't take me long to spend the € I've saved on Hi def downloads. As my library is very small and all on the internal storage I can't comment on UI lag as I'm not noticing any.

Also I must be blessed as I've not run into any problems using the Jr as a DAC. On my MacBook Pro (early 2011 model, running Sierra) I just have to make sure the Midi setup is selected to the correct sample rate & bit depth for the file being played. On the work windows 10 laptop its even easier. If it helps others I use an Anker nylon braided tangle free micro USB cable (In sexy red) in each case.

I've been able to try a number of headphones with the Jr and have had some good recommendations from you fine forum members! From using a pair of DT990 pro's I'm aware of the incredible detail the player outputs but this isn't a combination I could live with. I've an old pair of Denon DN-HP1000's which just proved the bass was there too. I'm using a pair of B&O H2 on ear cans that have a neutral enough balance to work well with the Jr, but they do slightly (only slightly) lack definition and finesse. I'd love to try a pair of the NAD Viso HP50's as it sounds like they would really suit my needs but I'm nowhere near a stockist. In the meantime the H2's will do fine and the Jr will be with me wherever I go. My only gripe is I'll have to take a charger along for the ride too :wink:

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,022 of 3,321
smashey
I wouldn't bother with downloading HiRes files. In my experience the difference between them and FLAC or ALAC is not audible unless the HiRes files are mastered differently. In fact, high bitrate MP3 and AAC are so close to ALAC that I just get my music from iTunes.
As far as headphones go, I've been using it with the Meze 99 Classics and the syrupy sweet melodies that pour out are spectacular. The 99 Classics aren't extremely detailed, but ultra musical and fun, and when paired with the AK Jr they come to life. Overall a spectacular pairing.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #3,024 of 3,321
Hi guys - sorry my ignorance. When I said "Hi Res" I meant ALAC (24 bit, 96kbps for the most part).

@PLAY3R 0N3 - thanks for the tip on the Meze headphones, I would imagine the wooden shell adds a nice organic quality to the sound. Again where I am (Dublin, Ireland) I don't get to audition much of a range

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #3,026 of 3,321
Hi guys - sorry my ignorance. When I said "Hi Res" I meant ALAC (24 bit, 96kbps for the most part).

@PLAY3R 0N3 - thanks for the tip on the Meze headphones, I would imagine the wooden shell adds a nice organic quality to the sound. Again where I am (Dublin, Ireland) I don't get to audition much of a range

Ah, understandable. CD's are really the cheapest way to get music at the moment, you just have to be willing to search. I still use iTunes to find songs I'm interested in, but that's mostly because I have trouble finding a CD that I like all of.
If you are looking for headphones now you are in the right place. If you want to wait to get some then you aren't. :D
This site will definitely make you want to buy some stuff. I'm still trying to decide what I'll spend my refund on, and I don't even know how much it will be yet. :)

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,027 of 3,321
My first thoughts as well. Just wait till you plug something into it and that warm, sweet, musical melody comes out. That's why I can't send it back. The UI is a bit tiring, and I couldn't get the USB DAC feature to work, but the sound was much too good for me to go back to something else.

Well I've had it for about 24 hours and have used it for possibly 5 - maybe not enough to have a real impression but here are my thoughts.

On the whole it wasn't really what I was expecting to be honest. From the HP out alone with my IE8 I'd say the sound quality near enough matches my 5th gen iPod video being amped by a lower end amp like a Fiio A3. The AK has almost the same sound signature as the iPod which is good for me. It sounds world's apart from the Fiio X5ii in sound signature which was quite flat and analytical with a very obvious left/right soundstage, whereas the AK is warm, lush, quite thick with it's presentation (almost somewhat congested) but with a very 3D soundstage.

Rating these players amped/unamped based on back when I actually had them (all I own now is the 5g and AK) I'd put them as -

X5ii+A5 > 5g+A5 > AK > 5g+A3 > X5ii > 5g

I'll flat up say it that the Fiio A5 amping these players sounded better than the AK HP out alone. It made the X5ii and 5g sound almost analogue rather than like digital music whereas the AK clearly sounds digital just like the iPod and X5ii from the HP out did.

I think the AK sounds better out the HP than both the iPod and X5ii. The X5ii was far too neautral and flat for me and it basically just sounds like an iPod 2.0 - higher quality sound (yet the same signature) and a huge amount of flash based storage with a non-proprietary cable.

The AK UI is awful. It's laggy and keeps hanging when scrolling. It came with 1.03 out the box. As far as updates go I'm guessing this player is dead already. It's specs aren't high enough to provide a smooth experience no matter how much it gets updated.

I don't feel this is worth £400 at all. I paid £250 and even that's pushing it a bit. I'd realistically say £200 same as the X5ii should be. The X5ii UI was much better in terms of speed (it was flawlessly smooth) but the layout of folders and the scroll wheel sucked. The decade old iPod has better UI and controls than either of these players and is still getting 18 hours battery life from a 1.5 hour charge compared to 4hr charge/9 hour play after 10 years of near daily use.

I'm going to come out and say it here but i simply don't think a high quality DAP player even exists anymore - not for under £700 or so anyway. These "high end" players for £400 and under all have way too many flaws and sacrifices in the name of sound quality.

The Sony A15 player looks like it has a flawlessly smooth UI (non touch screen) but i don't think it's SQ would be a great deal better than a phone. It's an extremely mainstream high-resolution player and seems like it's more about the marketing and brand than sound. I mean it doesn't even have a computer DAC function.

The moral of the story here in a way is that amplifiers seem to make the biggest difference in bringing out the best in SQ I think. If you want a player to use ampless you can only get so much out of it. Go too cheap and you barely get something that improves on a phone, but go too expensive and you get niche Asian devices with hardware specs and barely functional UI's from 2006 - where you're paying for SQ above all else.

I kind of wish someone like Sennheiser, BOSE, Shure, Klipsch etc would just go ahead and make a decent quality premium player. I'm sad the Pono failed the way it did.

Do I like the AK? Yes and no.

It's a mess of a player and barely feels like a premium product besides the build quality which is excellent. It sounds like my iPod but better which is what I wanted but I guess to me it feels like on the whole it's not really wowing me like I thought it would. Then again based on what I said no player probably will.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #3,028 of 3,321
Well I've had it for about 24 hours and have used it for possibly 5 - maybe not enough to have a real impression but here are my thoughts.

On the whole it wasn't really what I was expecting to be honest. From the HP out alone with my IE8 I'd say the sound quality near enough matches my 5th gen iPod video being amped by a lower end amp like a Fiio A3. The AK has almost the same sound signature as the iPod which is good for me. It sounds world's apart from the Fiio X5ii in sound signature which was quite flat and analytical with a very obvious left/right soundstage, whereas the AK is warm, lush, quite thick with it's presentation (almost somewhat congested) but with a very 3D soundstage.

Rating these players amped/unamped based on back when I actually had them (all I own now is the 5g and AK) I'd put them as -

X5ii+A5 > 5g+A5 > AK > 5g+A3 > X5ii > 5g

I'll flat up say it that the Fiio A5 amping these players sounded better than the AK HP out alone. It made the X5ii and 5g sound almost analogue rather than like digital music whereas the AK clearly sounds digital just like the iPod and X5ii from the HP out did.

I think the AK sounds better out the HP than both the iPod and X5ii. The X5ii was far too neautral and flat for me and it basically just sounds like an iPod 2.0 - higher quality sound (yet the same signature) and a huge amount of flash based storage with a non-proprietary cable.

The AK UI is awful. It's laggy and keeps hanging when scrolling. It came with 1.03 out the box. As far as updates go I'm guessing this player is dead already. It's specs aren't high enough to provide a smooth experience no matter how much it gets updated.

I don't feel this is worth £400 at all. I paid £250 and even that's pushing it a bit. I'd realistically say £200 same as the X5ii should be. The X5ii UI was much better in terms of speed (it was flawlessly smooth) but the layout of folders and the scroll wheel sucked. The decade old iPod has better UI and controls than either of these players and is still getting 18 hours battery life from a 1.5 hour charge compared to 4hr charge/9 hour play after 10 years of near daily use.

I'm going to come out and say it here but i simply don't think a high quality DAP player even exists anymore - not for under £700 or so anyway. These "high end" players for £400 and under all have way too many flaws and sacrifices in the name of sound quality.

The Sony A15 player looks like it has a flawlessly smooth UI (non touch screen) but i don't think it's SQ would be a great deal better than a phone. It's an extremely mainstream high-resolution player and seems like it's more about the marketing and brand than sound. I mean it doesn't even have a computer DAC function.

The moral of the story here in a way is that amplifiers seem to make the biggest difference in bringing out the best in SQ I think. If you want a player to use ampless you can only get so much out of it. Go too cheap and you barely get something that improves on a phone, but go too expensive and you get niche Asian devices with hardware specs and barely functional UI's from 2006 - where you're paying for SQ above all else.

I kind of wish someone like Sennheiser, BOSE, Shure, Klipsch etc would just go ahead and make a decent quality premium player. I'm sad the Pono failed the way it did.

Do I like the AK? Yes and no.

It's a mess of a player and barely feels like a premium product besides the build quality which is excellent. It sounds like my iPod but better which is what I wanted but I guess to me it feels like on the whole it's not really wowing me like I thought it would. Then again based on what I said no player probably will.

ak jnr - doest the job ......... some of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back