Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,002 of 3,321
It's there.. but a bit rare. Just stalk ebay/your local classifieds, one'll pop up once in a while.

I live here in Shanghai, I feel I must warn you all! Some of those black models are copies! I can't read Chinese, but when I was looking for accessories on Taobao and JDmall, Chinese versions of Amazon, several sellers, of black and other colors not found on AK's site, were reported to be fakes. My girlfriend read them for me and warned me about looking for different color models. Be wary!

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,004 of 3,321
did anyone manage to get usb dac working under Windows 10? I wonder if different cable might work as few people wrote. I managed to get it working with laptop windows 7 with original cable, but not on desktop pc with windows 10 trying 3 different cables.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,005 of 3,321
Hey pups and kitties,

I posted about nine months ago seeking help because I could not synch my music library to this.  Well, just thought you would want to know that the exact same library to my new Fiio X5 ii, and it plays flawlessly.  Whatever small advantage the AK Jr might have regarding sound quality is simply negated by its poor firm ware.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #3,007 of 3,321
  did anyone manage to get usb dac working under Windows 10? I wonder if different cable might work as few people wrote. I managed to get it working with laptop windows 7 with original cable, but not on desktop pc with windows 10 trying 3 different cables.

The cable that came with my A&K Jr. works on my laptop and desktop computers under windows 10 on each.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #3,010 of 3,321
  A million times no, above all because of the gimpy firmware.

No issues here

I kind of get both sides... It is gimpy. I do prefer the simplicity of the X5ii and its scroll wheel thing. On the other hand, AK JR is really not bad, if your folder system is well-structured. But that takes time. You kind of have to work around the UI. Anyone who used an ipod classic shouldn't have a problem though... And yet, that is an indictment in itself. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #3,011 of 3,321

I kind of get both sides... It is gimpy. I do prefer the simplicity of the X5ii and its scroll wheel thing. On the other hand, AK JR is really not bad, if your folder system is well-structured. But that takes time. You kind of have to work around the UI. Anyone who used an ipod classic shouldn't have a problem though... And yet, that is an indictment in itself. 

I used an ipod classic and could not get it to work. It spent many hours trying to get it right. It sucks. Reviews mention this in passing, it should be a red flag. Makes me think a and k bought people off.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,014 of 3,321

I liked both products but the scroll wheel simply didn't work for me. The girth of the X5 was also a problem since it didn't fit in my backpack strap sleeve.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,015 of 3,321
  The cable that came with my A&K Jr. works on my laptop and desktop computers under windows 10 on each.

your JR works in DAC mode with standard cable on desktop Windows 10? man... why it doesn't work for me then? can you please write what motherboard do you have? and what firmware version is installed on your JR?

also do you have any issues with it when playing games or watching video? any delay, desyncs or sound artifacts?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back