Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,566 of 3,321
Just picked mine AK jr up at BH two days ago for 299 + tax replacing Fiio X5 II. Fiio was good enough with very few insignificant issues. Right out of the box I was sure I did the right thing but now I start doubt if it was right choice. For sure the stage is wider and tone is clearer in AK jr :) but don't really like few significant things:

1. As Gudedomo mentioned above, it wont turn on screen sometimes but the buttons and wheel still working fine so you need to restart it. Happened three times for two days of use.
2. It freezes when I connect it to my Debian Linux as DAC. Haven't tried on Mac and Windows yet.
3. Interface, slow and weak with limited options.
4. Latest update (1.03) was a year ago. Which means those issues won't be fixed soon.

Really don't know if I should keep it and hope there is no restocking fee for the issues I experience if I return it.

Pair it with W40

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,567 of 3,321
1. Never experienced problem with turning screen on. May be it is caused by some particular heavy files. Mine needs reboot after trying to play ape files.
2. Didn't hear any soundstage in Jr. Anyway it has no depth at all, just flat smth.
3. As for me, interface is pretty ok. Didn't like Fioo's.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,568 of 3,321
It's happened to me when trying to play both FLAC and MP3 files, not sure why. I haven't noticed a pattern for when it glitches like that yet. 

I did buy this as an upgrade to my Fiio X5 ii and it was definitely a noticeable improvement. Then my hands were itchy and I got an AK380 as well, and it sounds amazing but too bulky and heavy to bring with me on a daily basis so I still highly prefer the AK Jr as the most convenient and lightweight 'portable' player I've used so far. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,570 of 3,321
Yeah, I have tried using the AK Jr settings to format two different cards. I've used both 128GB and 200GB ones, they both encounter the same problem on the AK Jr but the same cards don't have any problems when playing through my AK380. I've tried to narrow everything down and right now it just seems like a firmware problem for me. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,571 of 3,321
I had that problem at the start but turned off the settings for both 'Auto Power' and 'Backlight'.  The only time I get this issue now is when my battery is near out of charge.  However as a precaution, I had my AK Jr. sent into warranty service anyways and they replaced the CPU.  The warranty service was very quick and took less than 1.5 weeks of time.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,572 of 3,321
Ok I'll try turning those settings off, thanks.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,573 of 3,321
I think AK Jr. is the best portable player out there right now in the market. I am using it since couple of months. I am an owner of 4 other players too (FiiO X7, Sony NW25, Pioneer XDP-100R and iPod 7th Gen) but I think AK Jr. and XDP-100R are the best among all. They sounds superb. I even tried 128GB micro sd card with AK Jr. and it works like a charm with no problem at all. Only thing there are still some bugs in UI of Jr. scrolling stuck sometimes.  

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #2,574 of 3,321
The UI issues in AK Jr are not enough to make me not use it tbh. I've only used Ipod Nano 7th gen and this is a vast improvement over it. I was thinking about getting Fiio X7 before, but I'm fairly happy with AK Jr. The form factor and sound quality are just amazing.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #2,575 of 3,321
  Just picked mine AK jr up at BH two days ago for 299 + tax replacing Fiio X5 II. Fiio was good enough with very few insignificant issues. Right out of the box I was sure I did the right thing but now I start doubt if it was right choice. For sure the stage is wider and tone is clearer in AK jr :) but don't really like few significant things:

1. As Gudedomo mentioned above, it wont turn on screen sometimes but the buttons and wheel still working fine so you need to restart it. Happened three times for two days of use.
2. It freezes when I connect it to my Debian Linux as DAC. Haven't tried on Mac and Windows yet.
4. Latest update (1.03) was a year ago. Which means those issues won't be fixed soon.

Really don't know if I should keep it and hope there is no restocking fee for the issues I experience if I return it.

Pair it with W40

Interesting on the latest update.  I bought mine direct from A&K and it came in yesterday but it had version 1.02 so it must have been sitting around quite awhile if version 1.03 is over a year old.  Explains why they are having a "Back to School Sale" to clear inventory.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,576 of 3,321

Pair it with W40

1. Never had that problem
2. Probably won't work as DAC with either, that's why I sold mine. AK customer service is a joke
3. Shouldn't have been a surprise
4. I think the latest update is the AK70

Aug 26, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,580 of 3,321

Works as a DAC on my MAC and windows.

Didn't work on my MacBook Air, and AK's solution was to downgrade my OS to something that was over a year old. No thanks, AK needed to work on a firmware update. Then they stopped replying completely to my questions. I hope you enjoy yours, because my life is much better without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back