Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,491 of 3,321
Hello everyone,

I've had an issue with my Jr ever since I got it. Regardless of the update & of display/power-saving settings, when I turn my screen off, I often cannot turn it on again afterwards and have to reset the device. There doesn't seem to be any pattern, it just happens randomly. 

Has it ever happened to any one of you? Any thoughts as how to fix the issue?

Thanks! :)

I never had such behavior, sorry. Try without the micro SD card. If it still is the same it might be your unit.

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2,492 of 3,321
I've recently gotten into the audiophile world and I currently own a pair of JH Audio Roxanne and UE-18 Pro. I have a budget of around £400/$500usd for a DAP. I want to use it as a DAC with my Mac as well. Currently the AK jr seems the way to go but are there any others in my price range worth looking at? Any that perform better with sensitive CIEMs?

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,493 of 3,321
I've recently gotten into the audiophile world and I currently own a pair of JH Audio Roxanne and UE-18 Pro. I have a budget of around £400/$500usd for a DAP. I want to use it as a DAC with my Mac as well. Currently the AK jr seems the way to go but are there any others in my price range worth looking at? Any that perform better with sensitive CIEMs?

Fiio X7 is in that price range. iBasso DX 80 is $360 usd. Cain N5 is $300USD at amazon. So there are some good options out there.

And if you're okay with used ones in excellent condition, check out the buy/sell/trade forum on this site itself. Many users list their used items for sale. AK Jr used has been listed currently at $250 - $350. And the used AK 100ii is around the $500 range. very good deals (Assuming they're in good condition).

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,496 of 3,321
Just ordered an AK Jr. Is there any scope for a firmware update solving the laggy UI issues?

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,497 of 3,321
Just contacted Astell & Kern. They said it is currently unknown at this time whether there will be a firmware update.

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2,498 of 3,321
Does anyone reccomend a high-end DAP that is as portable as AK Jr but has better UI (and possibly better sound)?

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #2,501 of 3,321
Hey everyone,

For what it's worth, I just created a petition for Astell & Kern to make a new firmware update ASAP for the AK Jr. to once and for all solve the lag issue. Please sign it and share it. It's better than doing nothing I guess.

https://www.change.org/p/astell-kern-astell-kern-provide-ak-jr-with-firmware-update-asap?recruiter=10944278&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

P.S. I also tweeted the link to the petition directly to their company's Twitter account, so they will have seen it hopefully

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,504 of 3,321
can the jr be used to power a high impedance earbud?
I'm a bit thorn whether I should get the zen2.0(320 ohm) or the cygnus, this will basically be the set up to be used when I feel incredibly lazy and just want to stay on bed while listening some music (I listen mostly metal and other music that has guitar in it).

I heard that despite the high impedance on the zen, it is actually not hard to drive, but even if the jr can drive it with good volume, I'm not very sure about the sq. while the cygnus, i'm 100% sure will drive properly.

but based on the review the zen2 sounds very tempting.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2,505 of 3,321
  can the jr be used to power a high impedance earbud?
I'm a bit thorn whether I should get the zen2.0(320 ohm) or the cygnus, this will basically be the set up to be used when I feel incredibly lazy and just want to stay on bed while listening some music (I listen mostly metal and other music that has guitar in it).

I heard that despite the high impedance on the zen, it is actually not hard to drive, but even if the jr can drive it with good volume, I'm not very sure about the sq. while the cygnus, i'm 100% sure will drive properly.

but based on the review the zen2 sounds very tempting.

Yes it can but if I were you I would get a portable headphone amp along with the AK Jr just to be safe. I personally got the Fiio E12A which apparently goes well with the AK Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back