Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,461 of 3,321
My suggestion also would be copy the files by inserting the card directly onto your computer's slot. Then pop in the same card in your AK Jr and see how it reads it?

Also for testing purposes, group the files into 20 or 25 songs and have a folder of each of them. It helps in narrowing down on the problematic files. Good luck.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,463 of 3,321
So I tried uploading the music on to the microdisk with a card reader. It goes faster, but the player still cannot read the micro disk. It struggles with it and  it seems to be much closer of a call.
Also, if using the micro disk, does it break down folders by artist or album, or am I supposed to file through those unsorted songs?
It seems more and more likely that this mp3 player is a bit of junk. Theoretically one can get great sound out of it, but the firmware is so bad as to negate any advantage which is purely theoeritical.
Again I think I need an efficient way to cull mp3 files which freeze things up. Surely there must be an mp3 scanner which will do that for this purpose..

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,464 of 3,321

Also, if using the micro disk, does it break down folders by artist or album, or am I supposed to file through those unsorted songs?

If you browse by folders, then the reader will view the files however you placed them on your card. So if you placed all your songs in one folder, then that is how the reader will display your music. This is how all players with a file/folder browser will work. If you want your music to be organized in a certain way, you'll have to do it yourself. 

However if you browse your music by the Artists or Albums categories, then it'll display your music based on your music's Artist/Album tags. You'll have to make sure your music is tagged properly if you want to use this method of browsing. Again, this is how all players work, no player is going to organize your music for you.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,465 of 3,321
Is there no way to turn the screen off while files are being transferred? Currently transferring 40gb of files and it has 2hrs to go. I'm afraid it'll leave an afterimage in the screen if it stays on the whole time. EDIT: Finished transferring and apparently it's fine.

Another question: When I press "Next track" the unit sometimes hangs for about 10 seconds before playing again. What could be causing this? I'm on firmware v1.03.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #2,468 of 3,321
I used to have a DX90 and iPod Video 5th gen, but I'm glad I made the change to the Jr. It pairs really well with the neutral Noble 4C (Savanna) in that it gives out a slightly fuller sound especially in the bass, but without going out of the neutral ballpark.

Got 10hrs4mins of playback time with 60% FLAC & 40% MP3 tracks, volume set to 33, and screen off. That's good enough for me since I got 7hrs only from the DX90. The Jr has its quirks, but I'm the press-shuffle-and-just-listen kind of person so the lag doesn't bother me too much. All in all, it's a great buy for me.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #2,470 of 3,321
  How does this compare to the Fiio x3? Is this worth getting as an  upgrade?

I've the Fiio X3 2nd generation. Even though it is quite good, AK Jr is way better than it when it comes to details, and sound quality. The sound is rich and lush. So in my experience and opinion, it is a very good upgrade. Plus touch screen navigation and bluetooth is available on AK Jr has 3.5mm headphone out that does extra duty of providing a line out with volume control on line out.

Fiio X3 2nd generation has 3.5mm headphone out that does extra duty of providing a line out and a coaxial digital output. No volume control on line out, but the sound quality from line out is outstanding and can be used to plug to your car stereo or other amps/dacs.

Both can be used as an external dac for the computer.

EDIT: dac was auto-corrected to dad by Mac OS X. Corrected it to dac.

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,471 of 3,321
I've the Fiio X3 2nd generation. Even though it is quite good, AK Jr is way better than it when it comes to details, and sound quality. The sound is rich and lush. So in my experience and opinion, it is a very good upgrade. Plus touch screen navigation and bluetooth is available on AK Jr has 3.5mm headphone out that does extra duty of providing a line out with volume control on line out.

Fiio X3 2nd generation has 3.5mm headphone out that does extra duty of providing a line out and a coaxial digital output. No volume control on line out, but the sound quality from line out is outstanding and can be used to plug to your car stereo or other amps/dacs.

Both can be used as an external dad for the computer.

Thanks! Might consider getting this or the LG v10

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,475 of 3,321
  How does this compare to the Fiio x3? Is this worth getting as an  upgrade?

Not in my opinion. Had the AK Jr, the X3, and the X5. X3 and X5 more powerful, AK Jr distorted at high volumes, the X3 and X5 didn't distort at max volume. Sound quality difference didn't exist. 

Ak Jr looks wayyyyyy better than the Fiios though. 

Compare yourself objectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back