Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 30, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,416 of 3,321
Can anyone tell me if the AK JR is strong enough to drive a pair of Hifiman HE400S headphones (22ohm)? 
I'm concerned about the 1.95Vrms stated as the output - though they don't state at what impedance this is for.

May 30, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,417 of 3,321
  Can anyone tell me if the AK JR is strong enough to drive a pair of Hifiman HE400S headphones (22ohm)? 
I'm concerned about the 1.95Vrms stated as the output - though they don't state at what impedance this is for.

I'm fully expecting that match is OK.  My AK Jr is due next week and there is a pair of HiFiMan HE400S waiting to be plugged in.  They work fine for the SONY A series so I see no reason why they would not mate up to the AK Jr player.

May 30, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #2,418 of 3,321
I just got a pair of 400S. Its not bad on the Jr but when it does greatly benefit from a amp. Try it...

May 30, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #2,421 of 3,321
Mmmmm.  This has inspired me to look more closely at headphone amps and I've come down to either of C5 Portable Headphone Amp or a Fiio E12A-IEM Special Edition Portable Headphone Amplifier which I can buy new in Australia for exactly the same price./

There are quite a few comparison reviews of these two and it seems a bit of a swings and round abouts situation.  The C5 is better on power output, better on sound stage (important to me)  but poorer on battery life (not so important for me) and can mess up the bass with its bass boost (not good).

So, owners of thje A&K Jnr, any suggestions or comments?

TIA

John

May 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,422 of 3,321
  Mmmmm.  This has inspired me to look more closely at headphone amps and I've come down to either of C5 Portable Headphone Amp or a Fiio E12A-IEM Special Edition Portable Headphone Amplifier which I can buy new in Australia for exactly the same price./

There are quite a few comparison reviews of these two and it seems a bit of a swings and round abouts situation.  The C5 is better on power output, better on sound stage (important to me)  but poorer on battery life (not so important for me) and can mess up the bass with its bass boost (not good).

So, owners of thje A&K Jnr, any suggestions or comments?

TIA

John

I use the OPPO HA-2 on my Jr. Sounds fantastic. Maybe you should go to your local friendly store to get the amps tested out. All depends on your preference.

Cheers!

May 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #2,423 of 3,321

I use the OPPO HA-2 on my Jr. Sounds fantastic. Maybe you should go to your local friendly store to get the amps tested out. All depends on your preference.

Cheers!

Sadly this is not possible - the penalty of living in a low population area on the nice isolated island State of Tasmania.

And I'm still waiting for the A&K Jnr to arrive so a question about it.  Am I correct in interpreting it does not have a digital out?  As I understand the specs the DAC feature is for input via USB for music from a PC which is then processed by the player to give analog out - correct?  So, no point in getting a headphone amplifier with a DAC?

I'm tending to favour the Fiio 12A from what I have read so far.

May 31, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #2,424 of 3,321

Cheers!

Sadly this is not possible - the penalty of living in a low population area on the nice isolated island State of Tasmania.

And I'm still waiting for the A&K Jnr to arrive so a question about it.  Am I correct in interpreting it does not have a digital out?  As I understand the specs the DAC feature is for input via USB for music from a PC which is then processed by the player to give analog out - correct?  So, no point in getting a headphone amplifier with a DAC?

I see.. Yup, you're right. IMHO, go for the Cayin C5. I think its a good combination.

May 31, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #2,425 of 3,321

I see.. Yup, you're right. IMHO, go for the Cayin C5. I think its a good combination.

Oh dear, your advice came in 5 minutes after I had ordered the Fiio!!!  Oh well. I'll post up with impressions when it arrives and the AK jnr lands.  But I'll try out the Fiio with the SONY A17 first and see if there is any improvement with both the HiFiman 400s and the Sennheiser HD800 (which is currently being fed with a balanced feed from a Headroom Blockhead amp - I'll have to mess about making up a new cord).

May 31, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #2,426 of 3,321

Oh dear, your advice came in 5 minutes after I had ordered the Fiio!!!  Oh well. I'll post up with impressions when it arrives and the AK jnr lands.  But I'll try out the Fiio with the SONY A17 first and see if there is any improvement with both the HiFiman 400s and the Sennheiser HD800 (which is currently being fed with a balanced feed from a Headroom Blockhead amp - I'll have to mess about making up a new cord).

LOL... Ok, cool. Hear for yourself and see what you think. Ultimately, enjoy your music!

May 31, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #2,427 of 3,321

LOL... Ok, cool. Hear for yourself and see what you think. Ultimately, enjoy your music!

Good advice.  I fear too many "audiophiles" are more intent on listening for problems in the equipment that they are in actually lying back and listening to & enjoying the MUSIC!!!

That said I must confess that bad reproduction makes enjoyment more difficult, something that challenges me to enjoy older recordings, regardless of how lovingly they have been "restored".

May 31, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #2,428 of 3,321

Good advice.  I fear too many "audiophiles" are more intent on listening for problems in the equipment that they are in actually lying back and listening to & enjoying the MUSIC!!!

That said I must confess that bad reproduction makes enjoyment more difficult, something that challenges me to enjoy older recordings, regardless of how lovingly they have been "restored".

Of cos you need to have good recordings as well. Combined with good headphones/IEMs, DAP and/or DAC/AMP, the outcome will be different. I think its all in the preferences of an individual. If you like it, you'll like it, if you don't, you don't.

That being said, this hobby is the ultimate bottomless pit and the search for the ultimate sound will also continue.

I think whatever you have now or soon to have, will last you for a good few years of enjoyment. Enjoy!

Cheers!

May 31, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #2,429 of 3,321

The Jr has no digital out.

Dont get me wrong, the 12A is fine, but for a step up in performance try the new ALO Rx for iems and Pico Power for full size. i can also recommend the E5 for all its features while still sounding great.

May 31, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #2,430 of 3,321
Having tried the 12a, oppo ha2 and the ALO rx nickel, I conclude that the Rx sounds the best amongst the lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back