Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 13, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,401 of 3,321
I dont have that many, i fill up the internal 64 GB, and another 20GB on a sd Card.
Its still lots of Music, many many hours of listening, but not as much as i have read ppl use.
And i wouldnt even mind trimming that down if it meant that the device would work faster or smoother...

May 13, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,402 of 3,321
  I dont have that many, i fill up the internal 64 GB, and another 20GB on a sd Card.
Its still lots of Music, many many hours of listening, but not as much as i have read ppl use.
And i wouldnt even mind trimming that down if it meant that the device would work faster or smoother...

I see.. That's good for you if there's no performance issues.

I don't think you'll need to trim it down coz that's what a DAP is for… Storing music for listening. :)

Enjoy!

May 13, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #2,403 of 3,321
I dont see it as storage place for "all my Music".
I dont see the difficulty in adding or deleting a few Folders from time to time, i enjoy doing that...

I guess since i never had a ipod, i dont really mind any of the "faults" of the AKs  UI. It works most often better than i expect it...

May 13, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #2,404 of 3,321
  I dont see it as storage place for "all my Music".
I dont see the difficulty in adding or deleting a few Folders from time to time, i enjoy doing that...

I guess since i never had a ipod, i dont really mind any of the "faults" of the AKs  UI. It works most often better than i expect it...

That's great! Glad you're enjoying it.

I'm sure the future FW updates will improve and make it better. 

May 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #2,405 of 3,321
Im very happy. If it had a optical/digital out it wouls be perfect :) not sure they can fix that with a firmware update :laughing:

May 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #2,406 of 3,321
Guys, i have some issues when using the ak jr with my creative E5. If i put it to line out at 75 i can hear some distortion... If i put the volume a bit down it goes away. Is that normal? Any tips

May 18, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #2,407 of 3,321
Sounds fairly normal. Depending on the external amp, many sources can distort when set to output max volume. The Jr. doesn't have a dedicated line out so that setting just puts it's volume to the max.

I usually keep volume around 90% when using amps with players lacking direct line out. You did the correct thing by slightly lowering the player's volume. Only way to solve that type of problem.

May 18, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #2,408 of 3,321
Or probably his creative cant take 2V output of the jr? I had this problem when I was trying to hook up my jr to my fiio e17k. The fiio cant take more than 1.5v rms
Besides I didn't experience any distortion when I was trying to connect my Jr to my hifi amp with the Jr's vol set to max or on line out mode...The sound was pretty good clean.

May 19, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #2,409 of 3,321
  Sounds fairly normal. Depending on the external amp, many sources can distort when set to output max volume. The Jr. doesn't have a dedicated line out so that setting just puts it's volume to the max.

I usually keep volume around 90% when using amps with players lacking direct line out. You did the correct thing by slightly lowering the player's volume. Only way to solve that type of problem.

Or probably his creative cant take 2V output of the jr? I had this problem when I was trying to hook up my jr to my fiio e17k. The fiio cant take more than 1.5v rms
Besides I didn't experience any distortion when I was trying to connect my Jr to my hifi amp with the Jr's vol set to max or on line out mode...The sound was pretty good clean.

Thanks a lot for your reply guys.
Not sure what the right answer is, i guess ill Keep it at 90% for now.

May 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,410 of 3,321

I actually believe this is this to be true. Most amps will state Max input Votages. If it's too high distortion will be present in the sound signal. Therefore, yes, turn the Line out volume down.. If you notice, some players come with a Fixed Line Out to make it easier for the user to try and find the correct volume for the external DAC/AMP they are connecting their device to.. AK just gives you the option to be your own judge at that..

May 21, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,411 of 3,321
Sigh, I've now purchased a Astell & Kern AK Jr off e-bay - it will be a couple of weeks before it lands.  It will supplement Sony A17 & A25 players so I'll be interested to observe any differences.

QUESTION:  Will the Astell & Kern AK Jr accept a 200GB micro card?  Anyone know?

Damn this addiction to audio toys!!!

May 21, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,412 of 3,321
  Sigh, I've now purchased a Astell & Kern AK Jr off e-bay - it will be a couple of weeks before it lands.  It will supplement Sony A17 & A25 players so I'll be interested to observe any differences.

QUESTION:  Will the Astell & Kern AK Jr accept a 200GB micro card?  Anyone know?

Damn this addiction to audio toys!!!

Accept? Yes, but you will be using the Jr. beyond its specifications so you may find the UI sluggish. I use a 200gb card and can live with the UI being a little slow.

May 21, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,413 of 3,321
I actually believe this is this to be true. Most amps will state Max input Votages. If it's too high distortion will be present in the sound signal. Therefore, yes, turn the Line out volume down.. If you notice, some players come with a Fixed Line Out to make it easier for the user to try and find the correct volume for the external DAC/AMP they are connecting their device to.. AK just gives you the option to be your own judge at that..

Thanks!

May 21, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,414 of 3,321

Accept? Yes, but you will be using the Jr. beyond its specifications so you may find the UI sluggish. I use a 200gb card and can live with the UI being a little slow.

Thanks rbalcom.

I tend to use these players on random play so I'm guessing the slower UI would have little impact on that but would make finding specific items slower than with an 128GB card - correct?

May 21, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #2,415 of 3,321
  Thanks rbalcom.

I tend to use these players on random play so I'm guessing the slower UI would have little impact on that but would make finding specific items slower than with an 128GB card - correct?

Seems to just take a little longer to pull up the next view in the library no matter what you are browsing by, folders, album, artist, or genre. Not sure why, but of course I have the card loaded. Once playing it is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back