Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 7, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #2,387 of 3,321
  I just picked up a AK jr. and I'm really enjoying the SQ through se425.  My only complaint is the volume jumps waay up if you use the volume scroll while the screen is on.  It only happens sometimes, but its really not acceptable for a product of this price point.  I hope A&K fixes this with a FW update soon.  

So I have another niggle, and I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys to see if this is a defect or just normal.  Does anyone else's volume knob make a audible "clicking" as its rotating.  Not the mechanical feeling as it clicks into the next notch, but an actual "clicking" noise.  It only seems to happen part of the way around.  Thanks in advance.

I don't have any of these problems with my AK Jr. I listen with my EQ off. I pair mine with MEE M6 Pro (retails for $45-50) and PSB M4U 4 ($299) and have had no issues. To me it seems like you've a defective unit.

May 7, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,389 of 3,321
  So I have another niggle, and I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys to see if this is a defect or just normal.  Does anyone else's volume knob make a audible "clicking" as its rotating.  Not the mechanical feeling as it clicks into the next notch, but an actual "clicking" noise.  It only seems to happen part of the way around.  Thanks in advance.

That does not happen with my Jr....

May 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,391 of 3,321
I just got a Creative E5 to give the ak jr some more power... Anyone here tried that pairing before?

May 8, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #2,392 of 3,321

I think the word is "get use to" the sound signature. It becomes a norm and it settles on you. Changing to another device after listening your current one will have an effect on you.

Cheers!
[/Quoted]
Yea, this is it! I find this little baby very comfortable now, sq is not obviously better than my previous device. I think its more detailed and may be more airy... though have this feeling that there is so much more for improvement in sq.
Regarding UI: when playing 24/192 flies and putting on a long pause (about 10 min or even less) Then push play again, the file won't play any more... I tried to play another file but nothing happens, the only option is to restart the device.

Glad you're enjoying. Hmmm... the long pause and not playing after it happens to me intermently. Sometimes it plays and sometimes it doesn't. I think you'll have to wait for them to fix this with the new FW.

Meanwhile, just enjoy the music and SQ while waiting.

Cheers!

May 8, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,394 of 3,321

That does not happen with my Jr....

I don't have that either. Do have it checked out ASAP. 

May 8, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,396 of 3,321
  I've decided to send back both the AK Jr and Shure se425 since they are both in their trial periods....for....

AK100II and se846 with a 2.5mm balanced black dragon from moon-audio!!!

Might want to check out the new AK300. Looks to be about same price as the 100II but has many of the 380's advancements.

May 12, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,397 of 3,321

For those of you fighting with the UI on the AK Jr, the AK100ii is a night and day difference.  The UI is fast and easy to use.  Reminds me of iOS.  I am glad I returned the Jr.  I'll admit:  the AK100ii and Jr are similar in sound with the AK100ii taking the slight edge for clarity and neutrality, but the UI upgrade alone easily makes up for the price of admission.

May 12, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #2,398 of 3,321
After a few days with the Jr and FW 1.03 i find the UI to be adequate.
Everything works pretty fast and easy, not like a iphone, but really not that bad as most ppl in the thread make it seem.
I can Access all my Music fast and simple, the art is there, and it sounds amazing!

May 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,399 of 3,321

For those of you fighting with the UI on the AK Jr, the AK100ii is a night and day difference.  The UI is fast and easy to use.  Reminds me of iOS.  I am glad I returned the Jr.  I'll admit:  the AK100ii and Jr are similar in sound with the AK100ii taking the slight edge for clarity and neutrality, but the UI upgrade alone easily makes up for the price of admission.

Yeah, but I found the sound is a bit too on the neutral side. The sub bass and airy vocals on jr are absent on ak100ii. But 100ii has much better eq if you're the fan of...
Looking forward for the new AK300 finger crossed...

May 12, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,400 of 3,321
  After a few days with the Jr and FW 1.03 i find the UI to be adequate.
Everything works pretty fast and easy, not like a iphone, but really not that bad as most ppl in the thread make it seem.
I can Access all my Music fast and simple, the art is there, and it sounds amazing!

How many songs do you have in your library? I agree on the amazing sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back