Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 5, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #2,372 of 3,321
Hi guys, just got my ak J and wanted to know how long it should burn in 'till its optimal sound? I also have ak100 mk1 not moded and its sounds better to me. Maybe I just have to get used to a new sound?

May 5, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #2,373 of 3,321
Hi guys, just got my ak J and wanted to know how long it should burn in 'till its optimal sound? I also have ak100 mk1 not moded and its sounds better to me. Maybe I just have to get used to a new sound?

The answer to this question will solely depend on who responds first.

With burn in there are two sides of the fence (well three). Those who believe, those who don't and those who don't care (basically). If you want to set the player up somewhere and let music play for 50-100 by all means go ahead, then you can come back and tell us what happened. Or, you can just use the player normally, listen to music and if anything's going to change its still going too happen by just using it. 

Either way you won't hurt anything right?

May 5, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,374 of 3,321
Thank you for your answer. Actually, I'm wandering by myself if its truth or not. Strange... as I listen to it more I start to enjoy it more, so I don't know to what to believe. Playing a little bit with eq (btw, I wish there was a boost function as in the ak100). I think it's just our mind playing tricks with us...

May 5, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #2,375 of 3,321
Thank you for your answer. Actually, I'm wandering by myself if its truth or not. Strange... as I listen to it more I start to enjoy it more, so I don't know to what to believe. Playing a little bit with eq (btw, I wish there was a boost function as in the ak100). I think it's just our mind playing tricks with us...

I think the word is "get use to" the sound signature. It becomes a norm and it settles on you. Changing to another device after listening your current one will have an effect on you.

Cheers!

May 5, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #2,376 of 3,321
I'm a burn in believer...but after saying that I didn't notice any improvement of SQ with the Jr after a period of time. It actually sounded pretty darn good straight out of the box.
I''m having other ongoing issues with the UI but as far as SQ goes the junoir gets a big thumbs up.

May 6, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #2,378 of 3,321

Care to share what issues are you having with the UI? 

Its explained in detail on the last couple of pages in this thread but the jist of it is my prefereed codec is aiff and although this codec is 'fully supported' by the Jr, album art is not apparently. So i cant get album art with the codec of my choice even though it is meant to be fully supported. I would not have bought this device if I had of known the codec of my choice is not at all fully supported...as claimed.

I really don't want to convert all my files to flac for a few reasons...which I wont bother going into again right now.

Besides my aiff album art issues I'm finding the scrolling down artist and albums very tedious and clunky. Smooth...NOT.

I've also got a weird thing happening when I'm randomly playing a play-list and then pause it until my next listen and then play again, it randomly goes and repeats the same songs that were played on the previous listen. Weird.

But none of these things are really important. My previous players I used on the go were ipods, iphones and the Galaxy S7. These all have WAAAAAAAY better and smoother interfaces....but the Jr slaughters them in the SQ department which is the main thing.

May 6, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #2,379 of 3,321

Care to share what issues are you having with the UI? 

Its explained in detail on the last couple of pages in this thread but the jist of it is my prefereed codec is aiff and although this codec is 'fully supported' by the Jr, album art is not apparently. So i cant get album art with the codec of my choice even though it is meant to be fully supported. I would not have bought this device if I had of known the codec of my choice is not at all fully supported...as claimed.

I really don't want to convert all my files to flac for a few reasons...which I wont bother going into again right now.

Besides my aiff album art issues I'm finding the scrolling down artist and albums very tedious and clunky. Smooth...NOT.

I've also got a weird thing happening when I'm randomly playing a play-list and then pause it until my next listen and then play again, it randomly goes and repeats the same songs that were played on the previous listen. Weird.

But none of these things are really important. My previous players I used on the go were ipods, iphones and the Galaxy S7. These all have WAAAAAAAY better and smoother interfaces....but the Jr slaughters them in the SQ department which is the main thing.

I see. I can't help you on the AIFF format part as I am on ALAC, which has no problem with album art. On the other hand, I convert all FLAC to ALAC so that I can put them into my iTunes. I haven't try the playlist yet as I just shuffle all my songs but i do get repeated songs while doing that.

For me, scrolling is laggy and jerky. Sometimes it hangs for a couple of milliseconds then start scrolling again. Sometimes, my songs just abruptly starts just after 1 sec from the beginning. Going back to the previous track is a pain. The on screen back track button doesn't really work all the time, so does the physical button on the side of the player.

Most of the complains here are on the UI responsiveness. Almost all of us here are complaining about that. Again, we are still waiting… waiting… and waiting… for A&K to update the firmware which is taking ages to arrive.

May 6, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,380 of 3,321
I think the word is "get use to" the sound signature. It becomes a norm and it settles on you. Changing to another device after listening your current one will have an effect on you.

Cheers!
[/Quoted]
Yea, this is it! I find this little baby very comfortable now, sq is not obviously better than my previous device. I think its more detailed and may be more airy... though have this feeling that there is so much more for improvement in sq.
Regarding UI: when playing 24/192 flies and putting on a long pause (about 10 min or even less) Then push play again, the file won't play any more... I tried to play another file but nothing happens, the only option is to restart the device.

May 6, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,381 of 3,321
I just picked up a AK jr. and I'm really enjoying the SQ through se425.  My only complaint is the volume jumps waay up if you use the volume scroll while the screen is on.  It only happens sometimes, but its really not acceptable for a product of this price point.  I hope A&K fixes this with a FW update soon.  

May 6, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2,382 of 3,321
  I just picked up a AK jr. and I'm really enjoying the SQ through se425.  My only complaint is the volume jumps waay up if you use the volume scroll while the screen is on.  It only happens sometimes, but its really not acceptable for a product of this price point.  I hope A&K fixes this with a FW update soon.  

Yep...I'm hearin ya.....great SQ but poor UI. That about sums up my experience. Not a bad trade off really but would be nice to have both at that price point.

May 7, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #2,383 of 3,321
So I have another niggle, and I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys to see if this is a defect or just normal.  Does anyone else's volume knob make a audible "clicking" as its rotating.  Not the mechanical feeling as it clicks into the next notch, but an actual "clicking" noise.  It only seems to happen part of the way around.  Thanks in advance.

May 7, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #2,384 of 3,321

Please, share your EQ settings, I also use se425.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back