Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,011 of 3,321
Hello to all AK. jr beholders.

I've had my AK jr for just a couple of days now...more impressions to follow soon!

I'm just currently having a pretty good time figuring out all the little ins and outs of this DAP. Will post more, in detail, of my findings very soon.

Happy listening fellas.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to hear. what are you using with it, i.e. headphone/IEM?

Very quickly cause I gotta run out the door. Sorry about this, but I'm a headphone guy and the SONY MDR Z7's (70 ohms) and the BLUE MO-FI's (53 ohms) for travel use only, are my cans of choice. Long story short, the JR drives them both very very well!! I promise I will go more in detail soon. Have a great weekend.

I should also mention I have the HD 800's (classic)

But the AK JR doesn't drive these babies properly on its own. I really didn't expect it to. Not disappointed cause I've got other gear for them. :wink:

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2,012 of 3,321
Very quickly cause I gotta run out the door. Sorry about this, but I'm a headphone guy and the SONY MDR Z7's (70 ohms) and the BLUE MO-FI's (53 ohms) for travel use only, are my cans of choice. Long story short, the JR drives them both very very well!! I promise I will go more in detail soon. Have a great weekend.

I have the same headphones and agree they're both good pairings with the Jr., especially the Z7.

Don't use the Mo-fi much though. They clamp too much (even on the lowest tension setting) and aren't nearly as comfy as the Z7. Plus, don't really need their amp with the Jr. unless I want the bass boost.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #2,015 of 3,321
* Rant * 

Jr not working with USB 3.0 is very very frustrating. Hope they fix through a patch soon

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #2,016 of 3,321
  * Rant * 

Jr not working with USB 3.0 is very very frustrating. Hope they fix through a patch soon

Why would it work for USB 3.0 when it only has a 2.0 port?

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #2,018 of 3,321
A USB 2 device should work with a USB 3 host. The system would be un-useable otherwise as a lot of recent laptops are USB 3 only.

The JR does "work" with USB 3 for file transfer. It's the DAC capability that doesn't.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2,019 of 3,321
  A USB 2 device should work with a USB 3 host. The system would be un-useable otherwise as a lot of recent laptops are USB 3 only.

The JR does "work" with USB 3 for file transfer. It's the DAC capability that doesn't.

This is correct.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,021 of 3,321
  You are right. It might be compatible (if not working at full USB3 capabilities).

May be an update of the driver would fix it. Don't know.

No it won't, as USB 2.1 has a 5 pin layout and USB 3.0 has 9 pin layout, so it is impossible to software patch the missing pins.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,022 of 3,321
  No it won't, as USB 2.1 has a 5 pin layout and USB 3.0 has 9 pin layout, so it is impossible to software patch the missing pins.

Should be quite possible. The manual mentions that only 64bit OS will have issue with USB dac. If it is possible with 32bit OS, then i hope they fix through some patch later. Some have mentioned in this thread earlier that they got it working with USB 3 port.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,023 of 3,321
I think we are conflating two different issues.

1) The AK Jr is a USB 2 Device. It cannot be turned into a USB 3 device as it has the wrong connector, and, I'd imagine, the wrong HW.

2) The AK Jr DAC does not work on a USB 3 port. I think this should work because USB 2 is designed to be backward compatible with USB 3. I've never seen a definitive account of the reason it doesn't work, but some people have reported that it can be made to work by setting the USB 3 ports to operate in USB 2 legacy mode.

It would be nice to hear from A&K technical support, but then again, it would be nice to hear anything from A&K technical support. Joking aside, do they actually have a technical support group?

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,024 of 3,321
Since I don't have my Jr anymore so I can't be sure, but has anyone look into the Jr root folder and see whether the DAC drivers are inside?  My AK380 doesn't work as a DAC either until I found the driver bundle.  Worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back