Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,772 of 3,321
Since you have a pair of nice IEM, go for either Soundroid Valoq or Questyle QP1R. I have all 3. Jr has a nice form factor and UI. As for SQ, here's my current ranking (just received my Valoq on Christmas Eve): QP1R ($899), Valoq ($750) and Jr ($399).

Since I have auditioned AK120ii and AK320 before deciding on Valoq, Jr sound signature is closer to AK120ii which is "brighter" or analytical side as some described it. Would I recommend it? Yes but if fidelity is what you are looking for (and closer to AK320 kind of sound signature), and if you can stretch your budget, check our Venturecraft Valoq. As I am still new and on a discovery journey on the wonderful world head-fi (and expensive ones!), this is strictly based on my ear-perience so far. YMMV

Have fun!

good review

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,773 of 3,321
>>>

Hi, all-

I'm new here and have found a lot of useful info in this thread.

I'm about to set up a new AK Jr, and wanted to ask your advice.

I will be copying music (mostly FLACs) over from my older Mac Pro (running Yosemite.) Using the Jr for listening on my daily commute.

- what tagging app would you recommend?
- how should I set up folders? (Structure-wise, to be able to easily navigate by artist, album, track title?
- is FAT32 okay for memory card formatting?
- any other tips?

Basically, I'm hoping to avoid any beginner mistakes that will make more work for me later, and I really appreciate your insights and ideas.

Thanks,
Christina

>>>

Hi Christina 

I found that tagging was easy to do in Mediamonkey. Open and select your entire album or individual songs. Then go to Tools and select Auto-tag from the Web.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,774 of 3,321
  I have the latest firmware and still find the touch interface really difficult to scroll. When you want to scroll fast, it's not responsive. At times a fast swipe doesn't move the scrolling much or at all. It's just hard to do what you want it to do. 
I used the Sony A17 and that leaves this UI in the dust. It was so nice how you can jump to 0-A, B-C, D-E etc alphabetically really fast and then scroll down the list. AK needs to rehaul it's UI.

You can scroll fast in a list by scrolling the right side of the screen. Hope it helps.

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,776 of 3,321
>I DO have a problem when the next song of a different bit rate plays, it seems that the processor can't render the song properly and it sounds like AM radio or low fi.  This happens sometimes but not all the time. Anyone have this p>

I experienced this issue once...
Left channel sounded like tape hissing. Switching from 44 16 to 88.2 24 I also once got stuck completely right in the middle of a 192 24 flac after I pressed pause key. Had to hard reset by holding the power butt for ten secs...

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,777 of 3,321
Just ordered a pair of PM-3's to go along with my new AK JR. Previous setup was my iPod and Fiio 12A paired with M50's. My question is: will the portable amp typically add anything or or am I good with the AK JR as the DAC?

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,778 of 3,321
Just ordered a pair of PM-3's to go along with my new AK JR. Previous setup was my iPod and Fiio 12A paired with M50's. My question is: will the portable amp typically add anything or or am I good with the AK JR as the DAC?

The Jr. has plenty of power for the PM3s and i don think the theE12a will add anything beneficial for the PM3s. You will love the PM3s, I would recommend getting a different cable as the one that comes with it is crappy. Forza has some nice ones that look great and will stand the test of times.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #1,781 of 3,321
  Has anyone with the Jr. by chance also have the new AK100II or 120ii?  I'm not sure yet for as much as I enjoy the Jr. I feel like I have "upgrade'itis" and am looking for a bit more detail.  

That upgrade feeling (imo) will always be there no matter what player we have in our hands.

I use the Jr. more often than my other players because of its size and ease of use. I also find that while some players have more detail, they lack some smoothness of the Jr.'s Wolfson chip.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #1,782 of 3,321

The Jr. has plenty of power for the PM3s and i don think the theE12a will add anything beneficial for the PM3s. You will love the PM3s, I would recommend getting a different cable as the one that comes with it is crappy. Forza has some nice ones that look great and will stand the test of times.

Hey, those Forza cables do look damn sexy. Did you see one which would suit the oppo pm-3? Struggling to find one of a decent length (1.2m roughly). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back