Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,696 of 3,321
  I'm running my Jr. as a DAC without an issue on my desktop. It's 64bit Windows 10 with front USB2.0 port(It has a 3.0 port in the front as well). It doesn't work on the 3.0 port, but works just fine on the 2.0 port.

Same here. Got too many daps/amps/headphones.

Hard to let go of the Jr. though. It's the smallest, best built, easiest to use, and the only dap I have that can work as a usb dac.

I have recently seen this problem mentioned about other usb dacs, in some of those cases it was caused by the dac itself switching circuits between formats or something, and the suggested solution was to increase the buffer time or add a delay the appropriate length in whatever playback software you are using... might work for you too?

Thank you guys. So is it just me having this issue with my Jr.?
How to increase the buffer time or add a delay on vlc player?
I've used a laptop running on win7 and updated the FW to v1.03...No luck it still mutes the sound of the beginning of each track(one or two secs). Even online youtube videos...Making playlist on VLC player also didn't help. I should pause the song right at the 0 sec of the track then play it to prevent the issue.

With flac files its better(muting time is shorter) but with mp3 its worse...And I set the device output on the control pannel of the win7 to "96000 24bit studio quality" as described in the manual.
Should I contact for support?
I also have a fiio e17k without this issue but there's a rather annoying but quit crackling noise instead...

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,697 of 3,321
Hmmm... I don't use VLC player but maybe the Track Synchronization settings under Tools menu might work... though if even youtube vids do that it sounds like another problem entirely. this guide might help: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1n8y1x/usbdactroubleshootingguide/

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,698 of 3,321
Thanks
I just found its worse with 44khz 16 bit files. With 96 24 its better and with 192 24 theres absolutely NO gap.
I also found when I play my CD's via windows media player only yhe first track has the regarded issue the rest are OK sounds right from time zero...
So I think the processor in the Jr. tries to clean the low res sounds and requires more time for processing the sound than higher res ones?

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,699 of 3,321
Try this with Foobar2000 and see if you can repeat this.  It has to be re-sampling and timing between the devices.  I don't think the Jr. has async USB when in DAC mode.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,700 of 3,321
I listened to the AK100 and like the AK Jr better. Firstly the Jr was louder because it's 2 ohms i believe. But the sound was nicer in my opinion. I am using Grado PS500 headphones which doesn't take much to drive them loud but the volume on the AK100 was too low for my taste. Plus it's cheaper by several hundred bucks. I'm pretty happy with the Jr. 

It's better sounding than the Ipod Nano. Nano just sounds so narrow and closed in like the singer was singing while sitting in a closet lol. 

The Apple products suck because of the iTune interface to transfer files. It's a pain. And it doesn't play Flac unless you convert it to apple's format. No thanks.

I also tested the X1 and X5 as well as the Sony A17. Disliked them. Vocals sounded cold with too much treble and missed a warm mid range in the human voice. S letters became an annoying hissss. Vocals should sound like the person is in the room next to you and these didn't do it. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,701 of 3,321
  I listened to the AK100 and like the AK Jr better. Firstly the Jr was louder because it's 2 ohms i believe. But the sound was nicer in my opinion. I am using Grado PS500 headphones which doesn't take much to drive them loud but the volume on the AK100 was too low for my taste. Plus it's cheaper by several hundred bucks. I'm pretty happy with the Jr. 

It's better sounding than the Ipod Nano. Nano just sounds so narrow and closed in like the singer was singing while sitting in a closet lol. 

The Apple products suck because of the iTune interface to transfer files. It's a pain. And it doesn't play Flac unless you convert it to apple's format. No thanks.

I also tested the X1 and X5 as well as the Sony A17. Disliked them. Vocals sounded cold with too much treble and missed a warm mid range in the human voice. S letters became an annoying hissss. Vocals should sound like the person is in the room next to you and these didn't do it. 

I think a lot of what you like can be traced to the Wolfson 8471 DAC, but I think you will like the newer AKM4490 from the 320 or 380 (or from some other brand) if you have a chance to listen to them.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,703 of 3,321
If price wasn't an object I'm sure there is something better. But the AK380 is nearly $4000. Is the sound worth 8x the cost of the JR? Probably not. :p

No, but keep a close eye on the new VentureCraft SDP-1 Valoq (MSRP $750.)  I am getting a unit soon and will do a review later.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,704 of 3,321
Thanks
I just found its worse with 44khz 16 bit files. With 96 24 its better and with 192 24 theres absolutely NO gap.
I also found when I play my CD's via windows media player only yhe first track has the regarded issue the rest are OK sounds right from time zero...
So I think the processor in the Jr. tries to clean the low res sounds and requires more time for processing the sound than higher res ones?
  Try this with Foobar2000 and see if you can repeat this.  It has to be re-sampling and timing between the devices.  I don't think the Jr. has async USB when in DAC mode.

OK.,
I installed Foobar 2000 and the delay on the first track is there but the rest of the list plays just fine...I also forgot to say I cant hear the windows sounds when there's no any music playing. Only when theres something playing I can here sounds like vol up/down ding sound, ticking when exploring file etc...

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,705 of 3,321
Dec 23, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,706 of 3,321
  Thanks
OK.,
I installed Foobar 2000 and the delay on the first track is there but the rest of the list plays just fine...I also forgot to say I cant hear the windows sounds when there's no any music playing. Only when theres something playing I can here sounds like vol up/down ding sound, ticking when exploring file etc...

I will toy around tonight to see what I can find out, as this are all very strange.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,707 of 3,321
Dont know realy...But I still believe my Jr. is not faulty.
BTW, What system you are using pc or mac? Did you install your Jr. Plug&play?
I called the seller to going to check their demo model by tomorow

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,709 of 3,321
Just tested it and everything is working fine on my end.  However, try to turn off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device." and see will that help.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #1,710 of 3,321
Thanks
I just found with itunes everything is better (still sometimes to rarely theres a delay when double click on a track with itunes set to default). The itunes and windows media player and foobar have lesser issuse than the vlc player.
Could it because my hardware is outdated?
One other thing: The pro EQ  display says: "PRO EQ cannot be modified" is it a malfunction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back