Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,516 of 3,321
For these interested, another eBay seller have white silicone case for $8 shipped, great price: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astell-Kern-Junior-AK-JR-Digital-Music-Player-WHITE-Silicone-Case-/171992289361

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,517 of 3,321
  For these interested, another eBay seller have white silicone case for $8 shipped, great price: 

I got the dark grey one ($8+shipping) from the first seller who offered these.

Does the job. Much easier to hold the player without it's sharp edges biting into my hand.

Only issue is not much room around the headphone jack with the cover on; just enough to fit very slim connectors. Larger 3.5mm connectors won't fully connect or fit flush due to silicone around the jack. Used a hole punch to widen it and no problem now.

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,518 of 3,321
I got the dark grey one ($8+shipping) from the first seller who offered these.

Does the job. Much easier to hold the player without it's sharp edges biting into my hand.

Only issue is not much room around the headphone jack with the cover on; just enough to fit very slim connectors. Larger 3.5mm connectors won't fully connect or fit flush due to silicone around the jack. Used a hole punch to widen it and no problem now.

LOL, I did the same thing!

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #1,519 of 3,321

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astell-Kern-Junior-AK-JR-Digital-Music-Player-WHITE-Silicone-Case-/171992289361

Thanks for this but $19.00 to ship to Oz!!!! I think I will pass but thanks for passing this along to others. Sometimes it sucks living on the arse end of the world!

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,521 of 3,321
  so in other words, it will read the 200gb card without any issue?

Yes.  I purchased one and it worked.  Indexing is slower due to the number of additional tracks.  I actually went back to 128gb and put the 200gb chock full of music into my MBP.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,524 of 3,321
I recently picked up the Jr on a whim at the airport. The shop (Dixon's at Heathrow T4 for anyone that may be interested) was selling them for £299, £100 less than £399 they are usually sold for. So although I previously never had any intention of buying the Jr, for the price I thought it would be worth giving it a try.

I am very glad I did as it is a very good DAP. My other DAPs are Fiio X3ii and an Ipod touch 6th Gen. I have found the Jr to be noticeably better than both of these DAPs, which I thought (and still think) were very good.

The only area where it is let down is with using bluetooth. It sometimes drops the signal, where the touch never has done. Sound wise it really is very good and very enjoyable to listen to so I can say it was definitely worth the price.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,526 of 3,321
I think it sounds really good and is an improvement on both the X3ii and the Ipod touch. I would describe it as being both more musical and with better separation than both of these.

The only area that the Ipod is better than the jr, is while using bluetooth. From what I've read the ipod sounds good with bluetooth because the signal is sent in AAC and received by my speaker in AAC as well. I'm not sure what format the jr uses. Some people of have said it uses aptx, but no mention is made on A&K website.

Does anyone know for sure is the jr uses aptx codec?

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,528 of 3,321
how would you describe the sound? ak jr is not available around my area, which means i have to blind purchase it online. official retail price is 499 but on amazon. it is listed around 419.99 to 499.99. i heard people received their item used instead of brand new. so would you say 419.99 may likely be a used product? should i go with the official retail price instead?

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,529 of 3,321
  how would you describe the sound? ak jr is not available around my area, which means i have to blind purchase it online. official retail price is 499 but on amazon. it is listed around 419.99 to 499.99. i heard people received their item used instead of brand new. so would you say 419.99 may likely be a used product? should i go with the official retail price instead?

Got mine through amazon warehouse deals for under $400 a couple months ago. Player was in excellent condition (no flaws or blemishes) but the box was a bit rough and the extra screen protectors were missing. If you get one fulfilled by amazon you will at least have the option of returning it if any problems.

I am not the best at describing sound but will try:
To me, the Jr. sounds detailed and has a great soundstage. It is not as warm as something like a Fiio e17 and it's treble has good extension. The bass is clean and fuller than expected given how slim the player is.

Overall, I prefer its sound to all my other players except my iBasso R10 (DX100). The iBasso beats the AK Jr's sound but not by much. I'm finding there are not such big differences in sound quality between players. So you can spend a lot more but may not hear a huge difference no matter the player or price. But I do prefer the Jr's smaller size, volume wheel, navigation controls, and longer battery life.

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,530 of 3,321
thanks for the reply, but I really want to get it brand new. do you think is safe if i bought it from another dealer: best buy. they don't carry the item per say but they do distribute the product from another dealer: beach camera. the business method is similar to those of best buy. i guess paying it for full price is a lot safer that way. i don't mind the beaten up box but i do care about the missing accessories that came with it. 

another question. i want to get the 200gb micro sd, so far the price look good on amazon: 149.99 US. but on best buy: they charge the card for 249.99! if i buy it from amazon, will i get the legit 200gb instead of  the fake one? there's an expression, if it's too good to be true, then there must be something wrong with it.

Thanks again for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back