Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #841 of 3,321
Yep, those where the days! Nowadays we pay a small fortune for a device that actually costs a few dollars to manufacture but the fancy UI costs a fortune to develop and these costs are passed on to the consumer. Perhaps some manufacturers should start to manufacture a few products without the fancy UI and just use simple buttons for commands, this will surely cost a lot less. I immediately think of the Shozy Allien that is very straightforward without the fancy screens and UI and it apparently has very good sound from all accounts. This used to be the norm a few years ago. Just my 2c worth. Cheers.

Oh, I remember those early years... and in the 1980's sold 'high-end' portable audio devices at a specialty store. Like you said, UI development and GUI / touchscreens add to the cost of development / manufacturing. BTW, tried the original Shozy Alien and also had the newer II version for quite a few motnsh (got it in Singapore back in February 2015) and at this point the sound is excellent, yet could not deal with the lack of GUI / screen and (limited) memory card situation. Punted reviewing it on the grounds that the 'install base' would simply be too small combined with my review probably being a bit 'sour' due to UI limitations. i could sum up my review in seven words, "Great sound, frustrating as f--k to use". Most 'normal' people are demanding more with their PMP and, as such, devices needs to deliver what the customer wants. These wants add to the retail cost of a device. The Alien MK II is great, yet show me any 'normal' consumer who would accept all the limitations given today's possibilities? Yes indeed, there is a price to pay for convenience.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #842 of 3,321
Oh, I remember those early years... and in the 1980's sold 'high-end' portable audio devices at a specialty store. Like you said, UI development and GUI / touchscreens add to the cost of development / manufacturing. BTW, tried the original Shozy Alien and also had the newer II version for quite a few motnsh (got it in Singapore back in February 2015) and at this point the sound is excellent, yet could not deal with the lack of GUI / screen and (limited) memory card situation. Punted reviewing it on the grounds that the 'install base' would simply be too small combined with my review probably being a bit 'sour' due to UI limitations. i could sum up my review in seven words, "Great sound, frustrating as f--k to use". Most 'normal' people are demanding more with their PMP and, as such, devices needs to deliver what the customer wants. These wants add to the retail cost of a device. The Alien MK II is great, yet show me any 'normal' consumer who would accept all the limitations given today's possibilities? Yes indeed, there is a price to pay for convenience.

If the MK2 didn't have hiss I may want that too :p

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #843 of 3,321
Just unboxed this little work of art and have been playing around with it. SD slot is tight & secure, picked up tracks with no issue, UI is to my mind snappy and responsive ( might change once I load songs onto the internal storage). Sound is thick, rich with a lovely air to the top notes. Been listening and burning in for the past few hours. Volume nob feels high end to use. Whole thing looks like something out of the future. Will report back further on down with a more detailed run down.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #847 of 3,321
Just unboxed this little work of art and have been playing around with it. SD slot is tight & secure, picked up tracks with no issue, UI is to my mind snappy and responsive ( might change once I load songs onto the internal storage). Sound is thick, rich with a lovely air to the top notes. Been listening and burning in for the past few hours. Volume nob feels high end to use. Whole thing looks like something out of the future. Will report back further on down with a more detailed run down.
try to upgrade to firmware 1.02 seem like improve in sound quality

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #848 of 3,321
  They have these on Amazon for $449.00 from an Authorized reseller!

Yet here in the uk the cheapest is £336 (£290 in a straight $-£ conversion, and a special offer at that!).  I've really been on the fence about getting one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back