Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #827 of 3,321
Oo boy 50 Bucks for a piece if leather? 7 years ago thats the cost for a player. Im on the go everyday and never did I scratch my DX100, 901, DX90, X5 or X3.

I know its ridiculous , I put everything in a case. Everything nowadays is priced to high. I remember in the 70's buying a Sony Walkman for like 15 bucks with a tape player, radio and headphones.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #829 of 3,321

Yep, those where the days! Nowadays we pay a small fortune for a device that actually costs a few dollars to manufacture but the fancy UI costs a fortune to develop and these costs are passed on to the consumer. Perhaps some manufacturers should start to manufacture a few products without the fancy UI and just use simple buttons for commands, this will surely cost a lot less. I immediately think of the Shozy Allien that is very straightforward without the fancy screens and UI and it apparently has very good sound from all accounts. This used to be the norm a few years ago.
Just my 2c worth. Cheers.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #830 of 3,321
I got my Jr from B&H superstore in NYC. I got the free (or included) Momentum, too.

I was balancing between AK100II and Jr to replace my FiiO X1 + Catin C5 combo because my IEMs are a little difficult to drive (Earsonics SM64 impedance is 98 ohms). A demo in the store convince me that the Jr had enough power to be a good upgrade to my combo in a ridiculous form factor.

I respect the advices that state that AK100II is one step ahead but for the moment I will enjoy what Jr offers me. And believe me I enjoy what I hear. The LO of FiiO devices has good reputation, Cayin C5 is a respected amp in its price tag but without doubt Jr SQ is better, more detailed, more stage and I really like it paired with SM64.

Thanks all for your advices. Time to let the music sound :wink:

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #831 of 3,321
Actually just sold my AK100 II and got the Jr a couple of hours ago.  When I was at the shop, someone was looking for the AK100 and sold it on the spot {shop owner was good with that, know him well}.  Got the AK Jr and pocketed some cash.
Don't care about the WiFi or optical and am more interested in the form factor.  SQ for me is really close. Demo'd the Jr with a pair of Shure SE846 and was blown away. Now I know what my next purchase will be. Also just ordered the black case from eBay.
In the mean time, I'm really going to enjoy the Jr.

Quote:
I respect the advices that state that AK100II is one step ahead but for the moment I will enjoy what Jr offers me. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #839 of 3,321
just sold my AK100ii and keeping the Jr. The Jr. to me just sound more enjoyable with my portable phones than the AK100ii. If I want better sound DAP I can live with HDP-R10 which I modded the battery to hold 10+ hous of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back