Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #796 of 3,321
Close to pulling the trigger on one of these.  Few question's though.

a)How is battery life on the jr these day's?

b)Is gapless ok?

c)Has the sluggish ui problem been solved?  Or are the newer units ok?

d)With regards to the microsd and internal library, are they shown as one or are they separate?

Thanks

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #797 of 3,321
a) about 7-8 hours flacs and wav files.

b) gapless working without any problems.

c) ui is a little slow, but working fine.

d) sd card and internal harddrive shown separate.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #803 of 3,321
It's a linux system.  I was told as many files as can fit (size wise).  BTW support 128Gb mem card even thought it says only 64 gb.

In the case of the original AK100/120, the song "library" database was only designed to handle 10,000 songs, even though more than that many can be loaded into the memory. It's not a limitation of the operating system, it's a limitation of AK's music player application.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #804 of 3,321
I thought I heard about the 10k limit as well. It was in a press release or article review when it first came out. I'll see if I can find it. I have the 64gb internal about 2/3 filled and my 64 gb card about 5/6 full. I have a mix of some hi and lower res songs. I would guess I have about 3000 songs loaded. Doesn't even blink at scanning that (once I removed some corrupted files when I first got it). I may switch to a 128 gb card and see how much I can squeeze onto it...

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #805 of 3,321

7 to 8 hours battery life is very short compared with Sony Players its also takes away from the portability of the player.

I primarily listen to mp3s + 16-bit 44.1KHz FLAC files. I've found that it usually goes anywhere from 10-12 hours before dying completely. As I tend to listen to 2-3 hours per day, it means I typically need to charge up every 3-4 days.

Ironically, this was how often I had to charge up when I used the ZX1 (which was rated for well over 20 hours of run time).

I suspect the difference being: the ZX1 was always in "sleep" mode, since it was effectively a fully-fledged Android device (sans phone). And that constant, slow drain caused the need to recharge so often. Despite the fact that the Jr. has a substantially shorter run time, since it is expected to be turned off completely between uses, they end up yielding roughly the same amount of time between recharges—at least, in my case.

However, the Jr. still suffers from a serious and substantial deficiency: media management. There is no easy way to get lengthy playlists onto the unit. And I've run into a number of times where files would refuse to delete, and refuse to copy over. I had to resort to using Windows to run a CHKDSK in order to clear everything up. And this has happened multiple times.

The firmware is still buggy and/or incomplete, in my estimation.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #806 of 3,321

I primarily listen to mp3s + 16-bit 44.1KHz FLAC files. I've found that it usually goes anywhere from 10-12 hours before dying completely. As I tend to listen to 2-3 hours per day, it means I typically need to charge up every 3-4 days.

Ironically, this was how often I had to charge up when I used the ZX1 (which was rated for well over 20 hours of run time).

I suspect the difference being: the ZX1 was always in "sleep" mode, since it was effectively a fully-fledged Android device (sans phone). And that constant, slow drain caused the need to recharge so often. Despite the fact that the Jr. has a substantially shorter run time, since it is expected to be turned off completely between uses, they end up yielding roughly the same amount of time between recharges—at least, in my case.

However, the Jr. still suffers from a serious and substantial deficiency: media management. There is no easy way to get lengthy playlists onto the unit. And I've run into a number of times where files would refuse to delete, and refuse to copy over. I had to resort to using Windows to run a CHKDSK in order to clear everything up. And this has happened multiple times.

The firmware is still buggy and/or incomplete, in my estimation.

How does the AK Jr compare with the ZX1 in terms of sound quality ?

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #807 of 3,321
Jul 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #808 of 3,321
I'm getting the AK Jr on Saturday.  I do have the AK Bluetooth remove for my 100 II and love it.  Does anyone know if this remote pair and work with the AK Jr?

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #810 of 3,321

How does the AK Jr compare with the ZX1 in terms of sound quality ?

Well, I can't compare the two directly, as I sold off my ZX1 a couple months ago. However, I do have a common point of reference between the two in the ZX2.

Generally speaking, almost all of the sonic attributes of the ZX1 that I can recall being noticeably different compared to the ZX2 are roughly equivalent in the Jr. So, between the ZX1 and Jr., I would say the sound stage, instrument separation and reproduction of the highs and mids to be very much in the same league.

There's only one attribute that stands out in my mind in favor of the Jr.

With the ZX1, I always felt a niggling need to "pump up the bass", as it were. It was lacking that that full-bodied, rich sound at the lower end. So, I thought by EQing it, I would gain some of that. Well, once I listened to the ZX2, I realized that pumping up the EQ on the ZX1 only resulted in making the bass more boomy. It really wasn't as full and detailed as I was hoping for—not when compared to the ZX2, anyway.

In that regard, the Jr. has an advantage over the ZX1. The Jr's ability to reproduce detailed lows reaches down pretty far. It's still not as good as the ZX2. But in my mind, it strikes me as better than the ZX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back