Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #557 of 3,321
  Here is a quick look at how the UI works on mine.  Forgive the quality of the video - I was holding the iPhone in one hand and swiping with the other!

Not trying to dismiss your video.  If you have a touch screen stylus, give it a try.  I notice that if you don't hit the screen with full skin contact on touch screens (not just AK devices), it doesn't respond effectively.  Using a touch screen stylus would be the first step to test if there's an issue with the device or is it the way you're touching the screen.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #558 of 3,321

Not trying to dismiss your video.  If you have a touch screen stylus, give it a try.  I notice that if you don't hit the screen with full skin contact on touch screens (not just AK devices), it doesn't respond effectively.  Using a touch screen stylus would be the first step to test if there's an issue with the device or is it the way you're touching the screen.

So effectively you're saying I'm "touching it wrong"?  ... or maybe my finger is faulty? 
wink_face.gif

I'm pulling your leg and do appreciate the suggestion but I own many capacitive touch screen devices (and have used possibly hundreds) and have never had this problem elsewhere.

In addition, the way I'm touching the screen wouldn't explain the big delay that occurs each time I return to the album/artist page.

Personally I don't think it's actually a screen fault.  I'm fairly convinced it's down to the poor performance of the device - the CPU isn't getting time to register all the "swipes" properly.

To the other people that are experiencing problems does my video look similar to what you are seeing?  From people's descriptions I had assumed it was the same but I guess it is possible that mine is just faulty.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #559 of 3,321
So effectively you're saying I'm "touching it wrong"?  ... or maybe my finger is faulty? :wink_face:

I'm pulling your leg and do appreciate the suggestion but I own many capacitive touch screen devices (and have used possibly hundreds) and have never had this problem elsewhere.

In addition, the way I'm touching the screen wouldn't explain the big delay that occurs each time I return to the album/artist page.

Personally I don't think it's actually a screen fault.  I'm fairly convinced it's down to the poor performance of the device - the CPU isn't getting time to register all the "swipes" properly.

To the other people that are experiencing problems does my video look similar to what you are seeing?  From people's descriptions I had assumed it was the same but I guess it is possible that mine is just faulty.

My admittedly limited experience with mobile OSes would indicate that you're probably right about the swiping--if the OS doesn't devote enough CPU cycles to monitoring the touch screen input, you'll typically end up with "missed" swipes or incomplete swipes. And no matter what, I think it's fair to say AK is either not dedicating enough CPU cycles to monitoring the touch screen, or they used a particularly low-end CPU (maybe a little of both).

That being said, for now, my 1.02 Jr. responds like HiFiGuy528's. Although, I only have about 10GB on the main storage currently.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #560 of 3,321

So effectively you're saying I'm "touching it wrong"?  ... or maybe my finger is faulty? 
wink_face.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #561 of 3,321

I agree with this sentiment, I doubt it is a lemon as others are experiencing similar problems with the UI. I love the size,etc of this unit as well as the sound but the UI is unacceptable in it's current form. Why is it that DAP's costing far less than this have UI's that work and this one is buggy?
I have reported my problems to the retailer where I purchased my unit and he has passed this along to his A&K rep and the response I got was that it is probably a problem with iTunes if I am using it to load my unit.???What! I use iTunes in ALAC and AAC formats to drag and drop load my other DAP's with no problem. Perhaps others can chime in on this one as I would be curious to see if anyone else has problems loading their Jr from iTunes.
Also, I was given a link to the owners manual to read(link does not work) and try to solve my problem. If this is A&K's idea of customer service then all I can say is that it is dismissive and insulting! I bough an expensive(to me) product with the full expectation that it would perform as advertised, or at least as well as less expensive units, and have good customer service if I encountered a problem. Well, I have encountered a problem and the solution so far appears to be to blame iTunes and tell me to read the manual! This is unacceptable and I have let the retailer know this, it is not their problem that the unit has problems, and they have been very responsive so far and have assured me they will not leave me with a faulty product. My concern at this stage is that A&K don't seem to be responsive to this problem and seem to be brushing it off and if I choose to return the unit and get a refund, I may have to eat the postage costs and they are quite a bit to and from Australia(approx.AU$100.00) which could go some way to the purchase cost of another DAP. This is an unfortunate situation and I am quite pissed that I may be out of pocket due to being supplied with a faulty product, therefore I am doing my best to get this situation rectified without shipping the unit back for a refund,however,early indications are that A&K just don't seem to give a **** and have released a product to market before working out all the bugs and are using their customers as an R&D department to work out the bugs. Sheesh, I should have listened to that little voice that said I should pass on this one until it has some history in the marketplace but it's just so damn pretty!
Oh well, I am ever hopeful that these issues will be resolved. I will report back on further developments. Cheers. 

Ok people, it's time for me to eat some crow!! It seems I misinterpreted the intent of the e-mail from the merchant that I bought my Jr from.
The e-mail I received was a preliminary attempt to solve my problem and NOT intended to be the final solution to my problem. I appreciate that the vendor quickly responded to set me straight and assure me that the problem will be solved to my satisfaction. I appreciate this level of service from the vendor and hope that A&K come to the party with a solution as it appears I am not the only one experiencing difficulties with this buggy UI. If A&K are as responsive as the sales merchant then I have no doubt that this problem will be solved, however, time is the true test and we will have to wait and see if A&K find an acceptable solution to this problem for ALL involved. A&K stand to get some very negative press if they don't respond quickly and effectively to this problem. As I said, time will tell. Until then, I had best get some condiments to help me with the eating of my crow!

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #563 of 3,321
Thank you, well I'll mainly use it with IEMs, then I think ill rarely connect it to a stereo becaue I'll just use the Mac mini with the music on it to do that
Assuming you go unbalanced, technically AK Jr. measures better than AK100II(that doesn't necessarily means it sounds better, but that's quite a bit of shame for the AK100II)

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #564 of 3,321
  200GB Sandisk works, as well. I only tried FAT32 format in the AK Jr, but 200GB exFAT works in the AK240 & AK120 II.

Thanks for the heads up on the 200GB card.  Was curious how it'd go with my AK 120 II.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #566 of 3,321
I can see how it could be an issue but I didn't have that sort of problem when I tried one. I didn't just flip my finger to scroll as soon as a screen appeared. I tend to not assume things will be perfect and held my finger on the screen instead of flick to scroll. If you want to make it mess up, it's obviously easy but it isn't that difficult to navigate without false hits either. It's seeing that fast flick as a tap. That didn't happen once when when I tried it. My experience was more like HiFiGuy528's vid which isn't great but wouldn't dissuade me if I liked the sound and form factor. I'm not saying that faster wouldn't be better but I didn't find it frustrating. Maybe they could delay the screen appearance until it's more ready to avoid this. Might seem more laggy but would respond better to input.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #567 of 3,321
  I can see how it could be an issue but I didn't have that sort of problem when I tried one. I didn't just flip my finger to scroll as soon as a screen appeared. I tend to not assume things will be perfect and held my finger on the screen instead of flick to scroll. If you want to make it mess up, it's obviously easy but it isn't that difficult to navigate without false hits either. It's seeing that fast flick as a tap. That didn't happen once when when I tried it. My experience was more like HiFiGuy528's vid which isn't great but wouldn't dissuade me if I liked the sound and form factor. I'm not saying that faster wouldn't be better but I didn't find it frustrating. Maybe they could delay the screen appearance until it's more ready to avoid this. Might seem more laggy but would respond better to input.

Good to hear other opinions but to be clear waiting a few seconds before swiping make zero difference in my case.  Also it makes no difference how gently/slowly I touch the screen there is still an unacceptable delay when returning to the list of albums/artists.

You could be right that some people have different tolerances to lag - that's a completely fair point but by way of comparison I was using a contract-free smartphone the other day that cost £40 (around $60) where the interface was perfect - all of the time.  That has a LOT more technology going on under the hood and costs 10% of the cost of the A&K Jr (in the UK at least).  Therefore on balance I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the interface on the Jr to be able to cope with a "flick" more than about 1 in 5 times 
wink_face.gif

If my device isn't faulty then A&K should never have let this model out of the factory as it stands.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #569 of 3,321
  I was using a contract-free smartphone the other day that cost £40 (around $60) where the interface was perfect - all of the time.  That has a LOT more technology going on under the hood and costs 10% of the cost of the A&K Jr (in the UK at least).  Therefore on balance I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the interface on the Jr to be able to cope with a "flick" more than about 1 in 5 times 
wink_face.gif

What OS is the phone running?

Does the Jr have the problem where the first second or so of a song is missing when skipping tracks which plagues the AK100II? Any random pauses in the middle of a song?

I haven't experienced anything like this (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back