Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #422 of 3,321
ok just a quick note of a few points after listening to the AK JR . co this morning.
im using SE846 for the listening, gears I currently own is FIIO X1 + FIIO E12A

HISS : very faint, minimal from what I heard, I am not bothered when the music is on. To give a more precise idea, I heard louder hiss on the X1 with the SE846, of course the hiss on X1 is not too bad still, but AK JR does it better.

Something fun : The bass. Its a bit bumped up IMHO. Its a fun combo with the SE846 since it does bass really well. How much bumped up? moar bass than the AK100II or the AK120II, just from what I heard, theres just less in the 2 bigger brothers. The definition of bass and its tightness is better on the 100II and 120II, just less quantity compared to the AK JR. IMHO, this sound sig is kinda fun, and I dont really mind the extra flooring of the bass and it sounds bouncy too. 

Compared to X1 + E12A & 100II : Better than X1+E12A overall in my opinion. My combo sounded a bit soft and polite relatively. The difference due to the warmness of X1 is apparent. Detail wise, the AK JR is a bit better and a bit more extended in both frequency direction. My combo sounds smoother than the AK JR, that itself is still irreplaceable, I would call my current combo more on the musical side than the AK JR. AK JR has better spacial definition too and I think its quite good. For those hoping that its detail come close to the level of the AK100II, IMHO its not quite at the level I would consider them to be "about" the same, AK100II has far more details and sounds more dynamically alive and has better body. I have a harder time picking out the differences between 120II and 100II than with the AK JR is how I would describe.

UI : firstly I am very sensitive to UI smoothness, and AK JR did not come up to my standard. Their big brothers definitely has a much smoother UI motion, and having handled them for a few minutes, coming back to the AK JR made it felt sluggish. But over all the UI improvement is definitely a + . If you can get over with the not so smooth UI motion and touch instruction, I say functionality and usability wise its quite well implemented. 

Value : Sound wise, it would have to go to AK JR coming from my current setup, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the sound + UI + sleek design at a 250USD premium. But having auditioned its big brothers at the same time, I felt that the AK100II is the one that gives more bang for the buck, since IMHO its quite a bit better than the AK JR and not too far off from the 120II especially as a DAC itself. But if my budget is limited would I go for an upgrade? I would have to say YES to that. Its a wonderful piece of art overall, and the thickness is less than half of the better models. I slip it into my pocket and walk around the audition room, it does felt very comfortable and less intrusive than any portable gear I have ever tried. 

My verdict : 7.5/10 for the AK JR.  

Hope this is helpful to those who are deciding. : )

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #424 of 3,321
Elow,
I hadn't get the JR yet unfortunately, I tried the JR in the shop, I have to sell off my old combo first before I move to a new set of DAP. Have to keep this habit to balance my pocket book eheh...
I think the C5 is a better amp than the E12A and maybe closer in terms of sound to the JR? just my guess, but I for one find that JR could really work as my all in one solution. But most likely, I will be going for the AK100II if I could stretch a bit of my budget this month if not a JR. I'll be going for a second audition soon when I sort my budget out. Ill let u know if I got a second thought, which I hope not.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #426 of 3,321
The SDXC cards work.  Mine failed as well; but reformatting utilizing formatters on www.sdcard.org; or google SD Card Association will correct any issues you might have.

Painfully, I learned the hard way after having loaded my 128GB card first.

Enjoy and good luck....

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #431 of 3,321
I had to reformat the internal drive just recently and did not get the chance to back-up the sample DSD files they put on it. Does anyone know where I can get these from? I liked the selection they included...

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #432 of 3,321
Does anyone have comparison pictures between the AK Jr and the AK100II?  I wanted to see if there was really a big difference in the size of the players.

Though it seems to be significantly thinner, I am wondering if its actually a substantial difference.  If not then I would probably just keep using my AK100II.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #435 of 3,321
The AK Jr cases are selling now at Analogue Seduction in the UK, so I'm guessing they'll be available at the iriver store and other retailers fairly soon. I've been checking around for them daily since my AK Jr arrived last week. Btw, thanks for all the helpful details in this thread -- really useful for the pre-DAP purchase research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back