Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 26, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #242 of 3,321
DrSheep or Richsvt have you guys got any luck out of using the Pro EQ function yet??

I don't think it depends on luck :).  The manual said that the Pro EQ was a preset by "professional", but since I don't use EQ and you can't see what was EQ'ed from the setting, it is a non-issue for me.  The bottom line is that don't expect to get technical with EQ with the AK Jr, as it is 5 band only plus an extra Pro EQ mode.

May 26, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #243 of 3,321

I'm hoping you mean 'double DAC'd' : as discussed earlier in this thread, the jury is still out as to whether or not having two DAC chips automatically makes one source better than another : I've long been of the opinion that implementation is the key. If that wasnt the case, everyone would simply rush to their cheapest offering containing their preferred chip and sadly life isnt that simple. 

I agree with this but at the same time every AK dual DAC version beats the single with the DACs they've chosen to use.

May 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #244 of 3,321
  I agree with this but at the same time every AK dual DAC version beats the single with the DACs they've chosen to use.

Yes this is true, but now the margin is very small based on my assessment of the AK120 vs. the AK Jr.

May 26, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #245 of 3,321
How interesting. This player seems really cool due to the small form factor. One thing I love about my AK100II is the incredibly deep and wide soundstage. But the bass while having great extension doesn't really have the impact I typically enjoy on my commutes.

The DX90 does this better but doesn't sound as detailed and smooth. Also the dx90 sounds really flat due to its lack of soundstage depth.

From what it seems like the Junior is a bit in between these two DAPs and might be a good purchase. Can't wait for more impressions!

You must be listening to a totally different DX90 compared to mine. I have many daps and I would never describe the DX90 as sounding flat and lacking depth. Just the opposite to my ears. I hear a deep soundstage, which is also layered with good imaging. The AK100 II, which I have is a great player, not as good as the ZX2 but very good but the AK100II is more of a different sounding player compared to the DX90. The DX90 has more energy, the AKII a little more refined but both complement the music. The AK100, well it is an enjoyable dap but was and is too high priced for what you get and the sound is not as good as the DX90 (my AK100 has the 22ohm resistors on the output bypassed, which improved the sound). 

May 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #246 of 3,321

I'm hoping you mean 'double DAC'd' : as discussed earlier in this thread, the jury is still out as to whether or not having two DAC chips automatically makes one source better than another : I've long been of the opinion that implementation is the key. If that wasnt the case, everyone would simply rush to their cheapest offering containing their preferred chip and sadly life isnt that simple. 

That I did, as i realized on the way to work. I just feel that with the vast SQ diff between the 100 and 120, the Jr would be an own goal for AK if the DAC was as good as the sq of the120

May 26, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #247 of 3,321

You must be listening to a totally different DX90 compared to mine. I have many daps and I would never describe the DX90 as sounding flat and lacking depth. Just the opposite to my ears. I hear a deep soundstage, which is also layered with good imaging. The AK100 II, which I have is a great player, not as good as the ZX2 but very good but the AK100II is more of a different sounding player compared to the DX90. The DX90 has more energy, the AKII a little more refined but both complement the music. The AK100, well it is an enjoyable dap but was and is too high priced for what you get and the sound is not as good as the DX90 (my AK100 has the 22ohm resistors on the output bypassed, which improved the sound). 

I would say that the DX90's soundstage sounds flatter to me than that of the AK100II, not that the DX90 sounds flat.  Notes hit deeper and it feels as if though I can better hear the nuances in the instruments.  And because of this it feels as if the AK100II is more dynamic sounding and larger in depth (while also being quite wide).

Also, perhaps saying that the DX90 isn't as detailed as the AK100II isn't the right way to describe it.  I would say that the AK100II presents its details subtly and more effortlessly (which can be a negative sometimes since it sometimes lacks excitement and impact).  And that to me makes it a more reference and transparent player.

I completely agree with you in that the DX90 sounds more upfront and lively and while the AK100II isn't boring by any means, it seems to lack authority.  I also agree that both complement each other very well and I was hoping that the AK Jr would be somewhere in between since I really love the slim form factor.

As for the ZX2, I really wish I could demo this since it seems to tick many boxes (great UI, great SQ, great battery life, great build quality).  Hopefully my local Sony store (NYC) stocks this soon.

May 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #248 of 3,321
Why not just get the ZX2 from Amazon and use the 30-day period for trial?  If you have Prime returns are free anyway.

May 26, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #249 of 3,321
Definitely an option but sadly I don't have Prime anymore and though Amazon seems to be great with returns, I am unfamiliar with returning to international vendors (who are selling the ZX2 for the cheapest prices).

In the end it may be a good option since I can always sell it on the marketplace but I don't want to make this decision lightly.

May 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #250 of 3,321
  Definitely an option but sadly I don't have Prime anymore and though Amazon seems to be great with returns, I am unfamiliar with returning to international vendors (who are selling the ZX2 for the cheapest prices).

In the end it may be a good option since I can always sell it on the marketplace but I don't want to make this decision lightly.

Can you get a student Prime account or know someone that has Prime?

May 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #251 of 3,321
My Jr has just arrived! Updated the firmware to 1.02 and it is now charging and scanning my micro SD card.

Debating whether to put the screen protectors on. On the one hand, it'll project from scratches. On the other hand, I suck at putting screen protectors on, so it could turn out really ugly :p

May 26, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #252 of 3,321
My Jr has just arrived! Updated the firmware to 1.02 and it is now charging and scanning my micro SD card.

Debating whether to put the screen protectors on. On the one hand, it'll project from scratches. On the other hand, I suck at putting screen protectors on, so it could turn out really ugly :p
definitely can't for your insight of the player :blush:

May 26, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #253 of 3,321

ugly makes beauty on the long run.......
wink_face.gif

May 26, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #254 of 3,321

If you are careful it is not really necessary.  I haven't posted about this, but the screen pro from AK for the Jr. is not up to it, as it generate a lot of friction making the feel a lot sticker than necessary.  AK really should look into bundling their products with 9H glass screen pros instead.

May 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #255 of 3,321
4:38pm: Ok battery torture test begin: DSD64 in gapless in loop, MAX Vol at 70, 100% brightness, no screen off or sleep.
5:32pm: battery dead... I think in my excitement I forgot to charge mine.  Going for a recharge and retest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back