Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #152 of 3,321

For such a small and slim form factor, expectation is to be managed.

That slim factor is particulary appealing but when I read that:
Increased output 
and lowered impedance

The AK Jr's output level of 1.95 VRMS represents a 14% increase over the AK100's 1.5 VRMS. Our engineers have reduced the output impedance to 2 Ohms for a significant gain in sound fidelity from the AK100’s 22 Ohms.

As the AK Jr supports many various types of earphones and headphones, a separate amplifier is unnecessary.

I guess that my expectations to drive 100 ohms IEMs look reasonable. Or the statement "a separate amplifier is unnecessary" is pure marketing. I hope not and I'd like someone to test for me, please.

May 23, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #154 of 3,321
  there is a difference between enough volume / loudness and enough current for the cans to perform at the optimum

Sure. That is the reason I run an amp for now on my X1.
I am far from maximum on my DAP alone but SQ is not there. Same on the amp, I am only on 2-2.5 on 10 on Cayin C5 but it sounds richer, more dynamic.

So, I agree totally with you. And I except and fear at same time performances of AK Jr at the same time. 

May 23, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #155 of 3,321
So, based on my measuremnets of my dx90, which is 4 inches tall and 2.5" wide, and using measurements from the astell & kern product page on their web site, the AK Jr is only 0.6" taller, 0.5" less wide, and yet has a screen that is 3.1" vs the dx90 1.75"...? If I have this correct (drsheep, if you can please an confirm), and the am jr can indeed take your 128gb card, I'm interested. The small screen and not so great GUI of the dx90 coupled with the limited on board storage, is a bit of a compromise for me right now. I'd like a bigger screen with better graphics, equal or better sound, in a similar sized device, and the ability to store my 160gb of music. From what I'm readin here, the AKJr may fit the bill. Cool.

May 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #157 of 3,321
Thanks, clee. I saw that. I want a confirmation on the size differences be the dx90 and the AKJr. I see the pic drsheep posted and it appears to correspond to the size differences I've noted, but I'd love his personal confirmation on this. Thanks.

May 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #158 of 3,321
  The going rate of a new AK120 now is actually around $600-$660 (~$800 now), and you can definitely get one used for that price.  Unless AK Connect works for the Jr., then the AK120 trumps it in storage and size, with slightly better SQ.  I wish I have heard the EL-8, so I can't comment on that, but in general the 120 and Jr tonal wise is more balanced but on the warm side.  Some might disagree, but the I think the sound stage of the Jr and DX90 are close enough that I consider it the same.  Bass wise it is less than the DX90, but this is a good thing as the DX90 can be a bit too powerful at some freq range if you are not careful (may need to EQ).  Trebles are much more rounded and smooth (less harsh) but not quite to the level of the 120.  My bottom line for you is that if you want to try AK now, then the AK Jr. is a good deal, but I do expect prices to hit around $450 in six months to a year.

BTW, on a side note, the EQ in the Jr is pretty worthless (5 band).  However, it has a "Pro EQ" setting that I am not sure what it does yet.

This but to add, I still preferred my AK100 mk2 to the JR when I heard them side by side. More to do with color and dimension than res or tonality which the JR does quite well. Very neutral sounding player. I still feel the ak120 is a clear upgrade on both. Same about it vs a DX90 or X5 as well. Of course each FW on these units sound different so it may vary by what you prefer. I use older 1.30 on the ak120 and 2.10 on the ak100 mk2.

May 23, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #160 of 3,321
Answering all these questions, you really are one hell of a Sheep! 
beerchug.gif

Thanks.

there is a difference between enough volume / loudness and enough current for the cans to perform at the optimum

Yes. and to understand this you need to know some basic physics.  On average by Ohm's Law, Voltage (V) = Current (I) * Resistance/Impedance (R), and Power (Walt) = Current (I) * Voltage (V).  Therefore, P=IR^2.  To adjust volume, which is a potentiometer (an adjustable resistor) to output between 0 to max resistance, thus max voltage since current is constant (Vmax = IRmax), and same for power.  However, this all assume constant current, which is not necessary true with an amp, as it is to amplify current, meaning you can increase power by increasing the current at the same volume level (keeping resistance the same.)

So, based on my measuremnets of my dx90, which is 4 inches tall and 2.5" wide, and using measurements from the astell & kern product page on their web site, the AK Jr is only 0.6" taller, 0.5" less wide, and yet has a screen that is 3.1" vs the dx90 1.75"...? If I have this correct (drsheep, if you can please an confirm), and the am jr can indeed take your 128gb card, I'm interested. The small screen and not so great GUI of the dx90 coupled with the limited on board storage, is a bit of a compromise for me right now. I'd like a bigger screen with better graphics, equal or better sound, in a similar sized device, and the ability to store my 160gb of music. From what I'm readin here, the AKJr may fit the bill. Cool.

Yes the screen is relative smaller for the DX90 compare to the AK Jr., as the DX90's screen is the same size as the AK120.  Also, the Jr does indeed works with my stock SanDisk 128Gb microSD out of the box in exFAT format partitioned in MTP. 

This but to add, I still preferred my AK100 mk2 to the JR when I heard them side by side. More to do with color and dimension than res or tonality which the JR does quite well. Very neutral sounding player. I still feel the ak120 is a clear upgrade on both. Same about it vs a DX90 or X5 as well. Of course each FW on these units sound different so it may vary by what you prefer. I use older 1.30 on the ak120 and 2.10 on the ak100 mk2.

I agree, if you already have an AK100 MK2 or AK120 and satisfied with the interface, the AK Jr is almost unnecessary.  However, one major difference that the Jr can do that trumps both 100/100MK2/120 is the support of DSD in DSF format, which the older ones can't do (DSD in DFF only.)

May 23, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #161 of 3,321
Right, I was not sure which direction good vibes was indicating with his "...same as..." comment.

May 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #162 of 3,321
@ drsheep. Thank you. To confirm, the dx90 is just a tad shorter yet wider than the AKJr, correct? I like that the ak jr screen is so much bigger, yet its size is only marginally larger, and only in height, less in width actually.

Can you also comment on the interface of the AKJr (software) vs the dx90, please? How profound are the differences?

Thanks very much!

May 23, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #163 of 3,321
@ drsheep. Thank you. To confirm, the dx90 is just a tad shorter yet wider than the AKJr, correct? I like that the ak jr screen is so much bigger, yet its size is only marginally larger, and only in height, less in width actually.

Can you also comment on the interface of the AKJr (software) vs the dx90, please? How profound are the differences?

Thanks very much!

The Jr feels much more solid and just about half as thick vs the DX90, and interface wise it is MUCH easier to use.  My biggest problem with the DX90 in the past is that due to the use of the leather case, small icon sides, and colorful background, it was sometimes difficult to hit to the top left corner for return.  For the Jr everything is very clear and well defined, plus they overlay the background with a tint under the controls, making them much easier to read and use.

May 23, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #164 of 3,321
  Thanks.

Yes. and to understand this you need to know some basic physics.  On average by Ohm's Law, Voltage (V) = Current (I) * Resistance/Impedance (R), and Power (Walt) = Current (I) * Voltage (V).  Therefore, P=IR^2.  To adjust volume, which is a potentiometer (an adjustable resistor) to output between 0 to max resistance, thus max voltage since current is constant (Vmax = IRmax), and same for power.  However, this all assume constant current, which is not necessary true with an amp, as it is to amplify current, meaning you can increase power by increasing the current at the same volume level (keeping resistance the same.)

Yes the screen is relative smaller for the DX90 compare to the AK Jr., as the DX90's screen is the same size as the AK120.  Also, the Jr does indeed works with my stock SanDisk 128Gb microSD out of the box in exFAT format partitioned in MTP. 

I agree, if you already have an AK100 MK2 or AK120 and satisfied with the interface, the AK Jr is almost unnecessary.  However, one major difference that the Jr can do that trumps both 100/100MK2/120 is the support of DSD in DSF format, which the older ones can't do (DSD in DFF only.)

I for got to ask you.  Can you change the themes on it?

May 23, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #165 of 3,321
Just received mine and scanning my card (will add songs to internal memory later). 64 g took about 3 minutes. Charging now and will listen in a few. It was what I was expecting in form, slim and solid. Build quality is top notch. Super slim. I will try with my HE-400i and HD700s. My walk around IEMs are the Senn in-ear Momentums and Xaomi Piston 2.

Have an engagement to attend soon so won't get much time to listen. Will have more time tomorrow with my feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back