Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 23, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #136 of 3,321
@photoman.. Does the Jr sound nice and airy/huge soundstage like the Dx90?

Slightly less, but not by much.  The DX90 can sounds too bright at times when the Jr doesn't.

May 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #137 of 3,321
  No unfortunately not.

What's your setup and have you have any experience with iBasso, Sony, or AK?  The best I can give you is a slightly brighter sounding version of the AK120 and a hair less smooth, I am guessing that the Jr should be closest to the AK100 MK2 SQ wise but I can't be sure.

I have audeze el-8 open back. i had dx90. i returned dx90 because of the fade-in/fade-out issue when playing 24/192  flac files. I am looking for a DAP and AK JR. price range seems pretty good. one more question for you, if I may : you mentioned  it's an ok deal for $500. how this is an ok deal if it sounds close to ak120 and off course less warmer, but cost  $400 less than ak120. thanks.

May 23, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #139 of 3,321
I have audeze el-8 open back. i had dx90. i returned dx90 because of the fade-in/fade-out issue when playing 24/192  flac files. I am looking for a DAP and AK JR. price range seems pretty good. one more question for you, if I may : you mentioned  it's an ok deal for $500. how this is an ok deal if it sounds close to ak120 and off course less warmer, but cost  $400 less than ak120. thanks.

The going rate of a new AK120 now is actually around $600-$660 (~$800 now), and you can definitely get one used for that price.  Unless AK Connect works for the Jr., then the AK120 trumps it in storage and size, with slightly better SQ.  I wish I have heard the EL-8, so I can't comment on that, but in general the 120 and Jr tonal wise is more balanced but on the warm side.  Some might disagree, but the I think the sound stage of the Jr and DX90 are close enough that I consider it the same.  Bass wise it is less than the DX90, but this is a good thing as the DX90 can be a bit too powerful at some freq range if you are not careful (may need to EQ).  Trebles are much more rounded and smooth (less harsh) but not quite to the level of the 120.  My bottom line for you is that if you want to try AK now, then the AK Jr. is a good deal, but I do expect prices to hit around $450 in six months to a year.

BTW, on a side note, the EQ in the Jr is pretty worthless (5 band).  However, it has a "Pro EQ" setting that I am not sure what it does yet.

May 23, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #140 of 3,321
How is the power? Can it drive good headphones?  Also the background noise

Not sure as I am pretty much an IEM only guy.  Noise wise so far I have heard nothing, which is good consider that I am using the single end adapter to my Toxic SW 25 8-wire balanced to my JH Layla, and they are VERY sensitive to noise.  My AK120 can't even be 100% noise free at times, but the Jr is totally dark.  I haven't tried it with my K10 yet so this might change.

May 23, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #141 of 3,321
  Not sure as I am pretty much an IEM only guy.  Noise wise so far I have heard nothing, which is good consider that I am using the single end adapter to my Toxic SW 25 8-wire balanced to my JH Layla, and they are VERY sensitive to noise.  My AK120 can't even be 100% noise free at times, but the Jr is totally dark.  I haven't tried it with my K10 yet so this might change.

What's your volume number you're comfortable on?  Also did you get the new firmware? ver 1.02

May 23, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #142 of 3,321
May 23, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #143 of 3,321
I just got my Jr. don't know what to make of it yet
Trying to do the firmware upgrade but its not OTA
What do I need to do exactly I don't want to screw the player up
I see the hex file which I saved to my computer and then I guess I connect the player to my computer as if I am going to transfer music
Do I just drop the file into the "System" folder at the top? It doesn't replace a file?

May 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #144 of 3,321
  I just got my Jr. don't know what to make of it yet
Trying to do the firmware upgrade but its not OTA
What do I need to do exactly I don't want to screw the player up
I see the hex file which I saved to my computer and then I guess I connect the player to my computer as if I am going to transfer music
Do I just drop the file into the "System" folder at the top? It doesn't replace a file?

There are instructions on the download page:  
http://www.iriverinc.com/download/downloadView.asp?selectPart=&findWord=&sno=1114&page=1&cateCode=

Apparently, you just drop the .hex file into the root of the internal memory, disconnect the player from your computer, then it'll update.

May 23, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #145 of 3,321

Can someone try a relatively heavy headphone? 

I run IEM too but my favorites are SM64 from Earsonics and they are 98 Ohms. Not easy to drive IEM.
At the moment, I need to stack DAP+AMP and if I am satisfied with SQ, I'd like to get rid of such a heavy brick.

Thank you for your feed-back.

May 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #146 of 3,321
  Can someone try a relatively heavy headphone? 

I run IEM too but my favorites are SM64 from Earsonics and they are 98 Ohms. Not easy to drive IEM.
At the moment, I need to stack DAP+AMP and if I am satisfied with SQ, I'd like to get rid of such a heavy brick.

Thank you for your feed-back.

For such a small and slim form factor, expectation is to be managed.

May 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #147 of 3,321
  Yes I just updated, and my vol is at 32.5.

Answering all these questions, you really are one hell of a Sheep! 
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #149 of 3,321

Root of the internal memory not sure what that means

Typically, copy it right to the line that shows your unit's drive letter (d:, f:, etc.), so it shows up directly beneath your drive letter.  Don't know if there is any special partitioning on DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back