Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #1,308 of 3,321
  I've converted all my music to apple lossless and converted it back to flac, and that solved all the tagging/album art issues I've had. It's strange. I tried fixing it using other ways, but I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks, kimvictor. I appreciate your feedback and suggestion.

Unfortunately, after a few hours work on Metadatics and MP3Tag, still cannot get test albums to be listed in Album View on my AK Jr.

My music collection is mainly in AIFF, FLAC or WAV, together with some Apple Lossless and AAC albums. All of which are displayed properly in Album Views within Audirvana+, HQPlayer, JRMC and iTunes on my Macs, and sound fine in each type of container.

Have considered about your solution.

To convert 700-800 albums to Apple Lossless, and then to FLAC, just to get the listing right in the AK Jr will take a lot of time. Which may be better used to listen to and enjoy good music. 

And, one would have to keep/back-up two separate music collections. One for all the Macs in native containers and another just for the Ak Jr.

Then, whenever I buy new music, will have to convert to Apple Lossless and then to FLAC to get the AK Jr to display properly in Album View.

All of which does not make sense. Because my intention to buy the AK Jr was to simplify my head-fi-ing, not to make it more complex or time consuming.

Moreover, should we be doing the work to correct bad software scripting by someone in iRiver or AK?

So, here are some thoughts...

1. For whomsoever is in charge of the AK Jr project: Get the Album View bug fixed fast. It is causing your buyers grief, and damaging your reputation and branding.

2. For whomsoever is thinking of buying this DAP: IME, the Album View listing issue is a pain. You may be lucky. You may not be. Your bet is $500.

For me, 2 options: 

a. Live with Folder View and forget there is an Album View option on the AK Jr... until AK decides to solve the problem.

b. Sell the AK Jr, get another DAP. Which could be from AK or another manufacturer.

IMO, this "entry-point" player, good as it sounds and sexy as it looks, is flawed in a fundamental way. It is not user-friendly.

Cheers.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,309 of 3,321

Thanks, kimvictor. I appreciate your feedback and suggestion.

Unfortunately, after a few hours work on Metadatics and MP3Tag, still cannot get test albums to be listed in Album View on my AK Jr.

My music collection is mainly in AIFF, FLAC or WAV, together with some Apple Lossless and AAC albums. All of which are displayed properly in Album Views within Audirvana+, HQPlayer, JRMC and iTunes on my Macs, and sound fine in each type of container.

Have considered about your solution.

To convert 700-800 albums to Apple Lossless, and then to FLAC, just to get the listing right in the AK Jr will take a lot of time. Which may be better used to listen to and enjoy good music. 

And, one would have to keep/back-up two separate music collections. One for all the Macs in native containers and another just for the Ak Jr.

Then, whenever I buy new music, will have to convert to Apple Lossless and then to FLAC to get the AK Jr to display properly in Album View.

All of which does not make sense. Because my intention to buy the AK Jr was to simplify my head-fi-ing, not to make it more complex or time consuming.

Moreover, should we be doing the work to correct bad software scripting by someone in iRiver or AK?

So, here are some thoughts...

1. For whomsoever is in charge of the AK Jr project: Get the Album View bug fixed fast. It is causing your buyers grief, and damaging your reputation and branding.

2. For whomsoever is thinking of buying this DAP: IME, the Album View listing issue is a pain. You may be lucky. You may not be. Your bet is $500.

For me, 2 options: 

a. Live with Folder View and forget there is an Album View option on the AK Jr... until AK decides to solve the problem.

b. Sell the AK Jr, get another DAP. Which could be from AK or another manufacturer.

IMO, this "entry-point" player, good as it sounds and sexy as it looks, is flawed in a fundamental way. It is not user-friendly.

Cheers.

Well, honestly, I've only had tagging issues with 5 albums out of 100 or so of albums I have on AK. It wasn't too bad for me, as I had an end game pc to convert all my flac to alac and back to flac really quickly.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,310 of 3,321
Good day! Just want to hear your opiniion. I have an se846 paired with ak jr. Do you guys think i need to get an external portable amp? I just came from an nwza15 + se846 setup and i noticed a difference. Thanks guys!

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,311 of 3,321
Se846 are not difficult to drive. So, you don't need an amp. But you are free to use one of you prefer it's coloration.

Can you share what you think of pairing se846 and Jr?

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #1,312 of 3,321
Se846 are not difficult to drive. So, you don't need an amp. But you are free to use one of you prefer it's coloration.

Can you share what you think of pairing se846 and Jr?

I actually think aj kr paired with se846 sounds a bit artificial. I lost some of the detail and bass that i got from when i was using nwza15 + se846 but then again im not really an expert in audio.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,315 of 3,321
Im actually beginning to think that i have a source: iem impedance mismatch where ak jr has 2 and se846 is 9. Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

You will definitely hear frequency extreme on both sides due to the low impedance of the 846's. I would suggest you initially try adjusting the equalizer to compensate as the Jr has more than sufficient output to drive them.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,316 of 3,321

I avoid iems but am considering using an amp with my AK Jr. and headphones.

It's able to drive my PM-3s and Z7s fairly well (about 15 to 30 steps below max volume) but wonder how much improvement I'd get with an amp. Would rather not bulk up the slim AK to a fat stack though.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,317 of 3,321

I avoid iems but am considering using an amp with my AK Jr. and headphones.

It's able to drive my PM-3s and Z7s fairly well (about 15 to 30 steps below max volume) but wonder how much improvement I'd get with an amp. Would rather not bulk up the slim AK to a fat stack though.

I use my PFE232's and W40s all the time without and amp and they sound excellent. It would me an unusual IEM that would cause an issue principally ones with impedance below 20 ohms which quite frankly will cause issues with a lot of players.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,319 of 3,321
I have a few specific questions for any owners of the AK Jr that might be able to help;

1) Does the it play Lyrics (tagged or .lrc files)?
2) Can you 'rate a song'?
3) How's the hiss, is it noticeably there or non existent? (would be using PFE 232's)
4) How well is the EQ implementation? Can you toggle easily from one custom EQ preset to another? (Very important)
5) Can it support Playlists (both OTG as well as m3u files)?

Cheers for any answers to these points :)

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back