Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,231 of 3,321
  I've not installed the newest firmware (assuming mine is behind the curve). When at the first song in an album, hitting back at the wrong time returns a redundant error, essentially that no file exists before it. Has that been fixed? I need to download the latest, but won't until later in the week.

That error has indeed been fixed. I was annoyed by it too.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #1,232 of 3,321
  edit: AH, I should have read the previous post more carefully, here's what i was "doing wrong."  I didn't wait 1 second before hitting previous again.    I guess I always pressed previous at the 0:00 mark.  Damn.  What was i thinking for trying to double tap previous!  :p

Thanks clee, it works everytime now!

Awesome, glad you got it worked out!
  I've not installed the newest firmware (assuming mine is behind the curve). When at the first song in an album, hitting back at the wrong time returns a redundant error, essentially that no file exists before it. Has that been fixed? I need to download the latest, but won't until later in the week.

That error has indeed been fixed. I was annoyed by it too.

I do get this error, but only when repeat is completely turned off. If I have repeat album/folder/playlist on or repeat song on, it can go back to the previous track (the last song) without issue.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,233 of 3,321
Is there anyone here that chose the AK Jr over the Plenue M?, I can get the Cowon for about £100 more than the Jr and would like to know if it's worth the extra cost. I'll be using it with Oppo PM-3's.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,235 of 3,321
  Is there anyone here that chose the AK Jr over the Plenue M?, I can get the Cowon for about £100 more than the Jr and would like to know if it's worth the extra cost. I'll be using it with Oppo PM-3's.

I was pondering that myself. M is definitely a class above the Jr purely in terms of sound. Have you seen the measurements? Plenues are up at the AK240 level in terms of SNR and stuff(though they do have issues with high load). I'm not sure about the load on the PM3, but I wouldn't recommend the Plenue with full sized(unless you have an amp).

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,241 of 3,321
  Great!, thanks for the reply!, A&K should change their literature,website, etc. about this. I bet some people doesn't consider buying the AK Jr. just because they read it only support 64GB SDCards. 

Be advised that as you move up in space, the current firmware is still limited to 10,000 songs. This may be why they are conservative. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,242 of 3,321
  Hi AK Jr. Owners, I have a question please... Does the AK Jr. can use 128GB Micro SDCards?

Thanks.

Yes. I am using it with a Sandisk 128GB today.  As mentioned by Mark-sf, the more you memory the more songs.  If you listen to mostly flac versus mp3s you shouldn't have an issue running into the 10,000 song limit.  I never have with any of my AKs but I have very few mp3s.  It will also take longer to build the database as you add more files but I haven't found the build time to be an issue. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #1,243 of 3,321
  Yes. I am using it with a Sandisk 128GB today.  As mentioned by Mark-sf, the more you memory the more songs.  If you listen to mostly flac versus mp3s you shouldn't have an issue running into the 10,000 song limit.  I never have with any of my AKs but I have very few mp3s.  It will also take longer to build the database as you add more files but I haven't found the build time to be an issue. 

Thanks for the Info, I have less than 3,000 songs (mostly AIFF files 14/44 and 24/96), so I would be fine :)

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,244 of 3,321
  Great!, thanks for the reply!, A&K should change their literature,website, etc. about this. I bet some people doesn't consider buying the AK Jr. just because they read it only support 64GB SDCards. 

I​ think AK will need to create a difference between this and the more expensive model (at least in terms of impression). Thus justifying the higher price of the top tier models (bigger memory sizes, more expensive DAC, etc.)

But for pure Sound Quality alone, they have enough buyers for the AK Jr.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,245 of 3,321
Morning, please bear with me as I'm not a real tech head as I have a question about the output of the AK jr. Using my ie800 with the jr the volume level is more than enough but I am moving house shortly and can no longer use my active monitors for my remixes so I thought I'd get a good pair of headphones to replace - I tried the hd700 and hd800 yesterday at Richer sounds for an hour and was shocked to see how little volume came throug on either via my jR. These phones would only ever be used occasionally outside my studio setup so not a major issue but could I get a portable headphone amp like the e17 to ramp it up as I am a little deaf on one ear and it would be nice to not always use my ie800 for leisure use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back