Astell&Kern Expands A&ultima Player Line
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #106 of 167
Sorry, I should have been more specific—I meant the expensive case. I bought one for my 240 five years ago and it’s great, durable, beautiful, even a nice patina from handling it. I’m looking for something very similar.
See, now you're just being difficult... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #110 of 167
Thank you, PhilW! How about Roon Ready support? According to this press communicate, it should be rolled out in 2018:

"Roon Ready

Astell&Kern will add Roon support to the existing portable player line in late 2018. Roon Ready network players have Roon’s high-resolution streaming technology built right in. Roon will discover them on your network, deliver the highest possible quality audio, and even allow volume control right from the Roon user interface!"

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #111 of 167
Is any of you able to listen Tidal offline on SP1000M, or use the player as Roon endpoint?
Tidal offline is available if you install the Tidal Android app via the SP1000M Open App service. Roon most likely will not be available until early 2019 at this point with the upcoming holidays.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #112 of 167
Is any of you able to listen Tidal offline on SP1000M, or use the player as Roon endpoint?
Yes I use Tidal offline, but you have to install the service file or whatever they call it

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #113 of 167
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #118 of 167
Wonder how the the sp1000m onyx black, green, gold compare the the original blue in terms of sound.
They got green and gold now? Damn, I shouda waited...

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #120 of 167
How does the 1000m compare to mojo regarding sound quality alone?

I have had a Mojo for about two years; until I received my SP1000M, I had used the Mojo almost exclusively with a RWAK240+ (serving as transport). Noble K10 Encores + Plussound silver+gold cables round out my portable rig.

I've had about a month with the SP1000M, and just this past weekend completed my first side-by-side listening session putting the SP1000M against the RWAK+Mojo combo. Listened to mostly electronic, acoustic, chorale, and some modern/library music. Will do another session this weekend but with some jazz, rock, and guitar favorites.

Verdict (to date): Mojo is strong with clear (if clinical) highs and mids; SP1000M has superior crossfade/3D imaging and bass, but highs can be a little bright/tinny at times.

These distinctions were very subtle with most of the electronic music I was using (Aphex Twin, Variant, Fires of Ork, Andy Stott) as well as some of the acoustic (Balmorhea, Vetiver, Kathleen Edwards). The distinctions became clearer with some Arvo Pärt compositions on ECM, particularly Tabula Rasa and The Deer's Cry. His compositions are both dense and sparse, textural as much as anything else, and in much of his recorded work (particularly on ECM) the choir and vocalists are central. The Mojo treated these complex pieces with a clinical precision that I think works a bit better for a stereo/speaker set-up, where the sheer distance between speakers provides a lovely 3D, almost holographic stereo image with depth and width. On my Nobles, it was a bit too separated, the sonic image never coming together cleanly to present a live-like sonic image. The SP1000M was much better at this; I got lost in the stereo image in a way that I couldn't with the Mojo. On the SP1000M the soprano voices got a little hot (bright) at times in a way that the Mojo handled much better, but the image was much more like "being there" with the SP1000M. The baritone and bass voices had a fullness and roundness on the SP1000M that was superior to the Mojo, which again makes for a very clean if clinical bass presentation. Mids are ever so slightly thicker on Mojo and more up-front; I feel like on very revealing vocal recordings the SP1000M might win out in terms of balance and imaging, but only by a hair.

All of this is not to say that the Mojo's imaging and bass suck (they don't). Nor that the SP1000M is too bright or warm (it's not). On the contrary, having gotten accustomed to the Mojo sound it was a pretty easy change to make going to the SP1000M's sonic signature. Both are excellent to my ears, both within the sonic profile I enjoy most.

Still forming my opinion, but a month later I have zero regret or buyers remorse--very glad to have added the SP1000M to my array of listening options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back