Astell&Kern Expands A&ultima Player Line
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #63 of 167
How would I connect the M to CHORD DAVE or CHORD M-Scaler?
USB micro B (AK player) to USB B (DAVE or M Scaler) cable. Available at Moon Audio and probably others.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #65 of 167
I heard and compared the SP1000M, SE100 and SR15 earlier this month at the CANJAM at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF). I had an AK120II previously, which I liked a lot. The primary purpose of my DAP is for air and other travel, so I like something that is small and light weight; ideally, that I can place in a shirt or coat pocket. I use JH Audio Roxanne custom fitted IEMs. I do not consider myself an audiophile, but I appreciate the difference components can make to make the music more engaging. In addition, the DAP must be easy for me to use and have features I like. (In this case the new software with the ability to add several streaming services, and download music to play off-line were a significant benefit.)

Bottom line: I ordered the SP1000M, which was introduced at RMAF, during the show.

So how did it sound? At the A&K booth, as I listened to the same music from my microSD card on each of the models; it was as if a veil was lifted from the SR15 to the SE100 to the SP1000M. In addition, the bass improved as I went up the line, and the "attack" of each note was more distinct, with better positioning of the instruments. I guess that is the holographic "soundstage". For me, it all came together best with the SP1000M.

At first, I thought I would buy the SE100 as it was about the same price as my AK120II was when I originally purchased it from Headamp.com I didn't really want to spend more money than I had in 2015, but after thinking about it, it wasn't really that much more for what I consider to be a better size for my travel use, and more importantly, there was more than the price difference in improvement from the SE100 to the SP1000M.

Why didn't I listen to the SP1000? I felt I could get a more convenient size and still have the sound quality I wanted with the SP1000M.

Why did I sell my AK120II? I wanted to upgrade to newer DACs and especially to take advantage of the new software which has the ability to install multiple streaming services, and download music for off-line use.

Conveniently at the show near the Astell & Kern booth was Peter from Headamp.com, where I originally purchased my AK120II. I went to speak to him and in case you have never spoken to him, he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful with all the products they sell. I said, what about this DAP, or that DAP, or this other DAP, and every time, I came back to the features, convenience and sound quality for my needs in the SP1000M.

OK, so I'm still at the show, and amazingly, there are other DAPs that Peter and I discussed that are also at the show, such as the Sony, and FiiO models. Just to reassure myself, I went to hear several of those models as well. I even meet the designer of the Sony NW-WM1Z, listened to it and it was very good, but it weighs a pound and doesn't have the features of the A&K.

It didn't take me too long to realize that the SP1000M was the player for my needs; I'm glad I made this decision, and Peter from Headamp even made arrangements to get me the player as soon as it was released.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #66 of 167
As awesome as it is to acquire a shiny new dap, by far, the best part of the above post is the thoroughness of joel's research and the peace of mind that came with being able to directly compare everything before purchasing. If only every purchase could be made in a similar fashion.

Makes me happy.

Great first post, sir.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #68 of 167
I heard and compared the SP1000M, SE100 and SR15 earlier this month at the CANJAM at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF). I had an AK120II previously, which I liked a lot. The primary purpose of my DAP is for air and other travel, so I like something that is small and light weight; ideally, that I can place in a shirt or coat pocket. I use JH Audio Roxanne custom fitted IEMs. I do not consider myself an audiophile, but I appreciate the difference components can make to make the music more engaging. In addition, the DAP must be easy for me to use and have features I like. (In this case the new software with the ability to add several streaming services, and download music to play off-line were a significant benefit.)

Bottom line: I ordered the SP1000M, which was introduced at RMAF, during the show.

So how did it sound? At the A&K booth, as I listened to the same music from my microSD card on each of the models; it was as if a veil was lifted from the SR15 to the SE100 to the SP1000M. In addition, the bass improved as I went up the line, and the "attack" of each note was more distinct, with better positioning of the instruments. I guess that is the holographic "soundstage". For me, it all came together best with the SP1000M.

At first, I thought I would buy the SE100 as it was about the same price as my AK120II was when I originally purchased it from Headamp.com I didn't really want to spend more money than I had in 2015, but after thinking about it, it wasn't really that much more for what I consider to be a better size for my travel use, and more importantly, there was more than the price difference in improvement from the SE100 to the SP1000M.

Why didn't I listen to the SP1000? I felt I could get a more convenient size and still have the sound quality I wanted with the SP1000M.

Why did I sell my AK120II? I wanted to upgrade to newer DACs and especially to take advantage of the new software which has the ability to install multiple streaming services, and download music for off-line use.

Conveniently at the show near the Astell & Kern booth was Peter from Headamp.com, where I originally purchased my AK120II. I went to speak to him and in case you have never spoken to him, he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful with all the products they sell. I said, what about this DAP, or that DAP, or this other DAP, and every time, I came back to the features, convenience and sound quality for my needs in the SP1000M.

OK, so I'm still at the show, and amazingly, there are other DAPs that Peter and I discussed that are also at the show, such as the Sony, and FiiO models. Just to reassure myself, I went to hear several of those models as well. I even meet the designer of the Sony NW-WM1Z, listened to it and it was very good, but it weighs a pound and doesn't have the features of the A&K.

It didn't take me too long to realize that the SP1000M was the player for my needs; I'm glad I made this decision, and Peter from Headamp even made arrangements to get me the player as soon as it was released.
Awesome post! I ordered my 1000m last week it should be here soooonnn...

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #70 of 167
Anyone has the Futura and the SP1000M to take a picture and compare the size of both?
They have detailed schematic drawings on the A&K website if that helps...

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #72 of 167
Lack of optical output is a deal breaker as cannot rely on USB for use as a music server with better DAC/AMP.
If optical is worth an extra $1000 to you, get the SP1000

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #73 of 167
Lack of optical output is a deal breaker as cannot rely on USB for use as a music server with better DAC/AMP.

If anyone is not fully happy with 1000M, I'd be willing to trade for SP1000 Cu.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #75 of 167
Hi,
I have a question regarding this DAP: I store all of my music in a Synology NAS and play it through DS AUDIO which is the Synology audio app available in Android. I play music when I’m in the same network as the NAS or when I am outside the network. Would I be able to install this app apk in SP1000M. This is the main reason why I have never wanted to buy an AK that costs more than 1000$ but cannot play my music. I find it difficult to understand why we can install any app on a DAP of 200$ but can’t do that on a DAP that costs more than 2000$
Thanks for the clarification

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back