Astell&Kern Expands A&ultima Player Line
Sep 7, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 167
: A&Norma SR15. What is the difference with the AK70 Mk2 ?
The SR15 will eventually replace the AK70 MK II. Similar player, different DAC chipset used - newer Cirrus Logic CS43198 DACs vs the CS4398 and our new UI. Same price point as the AK70 MK II - $699 USD.

could you explain what is "android apk support" and what advantage it will bring to our DAPs ?
APK - Android Package Kit - it is an Android App file. Basically you will be able to take the Android app for say Spotify, copy it to the player and install it. There are a few DAP manufacturers allow you to do this already and we are now including it so that we can support many more streaming music services.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 7, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 167
APK - Android Package Kit - it is an Android App file. Basically you will be able to take the Android app for say Spotify, copy it to the player and install it. There are a few DAP manufacturers allow you to do this already and we are now including it so that we can support many more streaming music services.

does this mean, if I load Tidal Android App,... TIDAL OFF-Line ? :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #19 of 167
could you explain what is "android apk support" and what advantage it will bring to our DAPs ?

Android devices normally install apps from the Google App store. Since AK does not support Google App store, the only other way is to use a process called "side loading". This was also not supported by AK until now. Basically you just install the app package directly onto your device without going through Google App store. Without knowing how AK will support side loading, it's hard to say how easy or hard this will be. Easy would be AK giving users a UI within the DAP to facilitate this similar to just copying music files via USB. Difficult would be leaving it up to each individual to find a good 3rd party tool and hope it works with AK custom Android. Really difficult would be to use Android developer tools for this.

Keep in mind though, getting legitimate, up-to-date APK files is a little dicey, especially if the app developer like Tidal does not official support side loading. Also streaming services that use DRM to protect illegal distribution will likely not allow downloading of tracks if the app was side loaded. Highly doubtful that Tidal download will work on a side loaded app. Lastly, going around Google Store creates more risk that you get an APK with malware. I'm sure AK will make it very clear that they are legally not responsible for any negative impacts from side loading apps.

Sep 7, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 167
Android devices normally install apps from the Google App store. Since AK does not support Google App store, the only other way is to use a process called "side loading". This was also not supported by AK until now. Basically you just install the app package directly onto your device without going through Google App store. Without knowing how AK will support side loading, it's hard to say how easy or hard this will be. Easy would be AK giving users a UI within the DAP to facilitate this similar to just copying music files via USB. Difficult would be leaving it up to each individual to find a good 3rd party tool and hope it works with AK custom Android. Really difficult would be to use Android developer tools for this.

Keep in mind though, getting legitimate, up-to-date APK files is a little dicey, especially if the app developer like Tidal does not official support side loading. Also streaming services that use DRM to protect illegal distribution will likely not allow downloading of tracks if the app was side loaded. Highly doubtful that Tidal download will work on a side loaded app. Lastly, going around Google Store creates more risk that you get an APK with malware. I'm sure AK will make it very clear that they are legally not responsible for any negative impacts from side loading apps.

Thanks for the explanation

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 167

THE ABOVE is a really good explanation for essentially what 'android APK support' means: side-loading.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 167
Astell&Kern Adds to A&ultima Flagship Player Line with the SP1000M

The SP1000M Packs Flagship Player Features into a Smaller Size
41144538_1137605696393451_4015184849936580608_n.jpg
Astell&Kern, a global leader in portable high-resolution audio players and accessories, announces a new player in their flagship player line, the A&ultima SP1000M. The SP1000M is a smaller-sized flagship player based on the 2018 CES Best Of Innovations Award-winning SP1000 player. The new SP1000M will retail for $2,399 and will be available in the US in October 2018.

The SP1000M features a 4.1-inch HD screen vs the 5-inch screen on the SP1000 and the weight of the new SP1000M player has been reduced by almost half of the full-sized SP1000. The A&ultima SP1000M will make its official US debut at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, October 5 – 8, 2018.

The A&ultima line of players by Astell&Kern feature the latest technology and high-end audio performance that is available in a portable player. The A&ultima SP1000M is equipped with two AK4497EQ DACs. A separate DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) is dedicated to each independent left and right audio channel, producing a wider soundstage and better stereo separation. With the addition of an Octa-Core CPU, the A&ultima SP1000M not only boots faster, but is able to process digital audio playback without lag or compromise in sound. This will provide the ultimate sound experience of any player currently on the market. Astell&Kern’s advanced audio design and signal management technologies used in the A&ultima SP1000M brings more power output with less noise and minimal distortion.

Equipped with a 4.1 inch, HD-resolution screen, the A&ultima SP1000M provides sharp images and vivid colors to display album art, music playback and player information. The redesigned, music-centric GUI that debuted on the full-sized SP1000 is also used on the SP1000M. USB Type-C 3.0 support allows data transfers that are twice as fast as other Astell&Kern players. The A&ultima SP1000 also provides 10 hours of music playback and includes support for fast charging.

The SP1000M is available in Lapis Blue and features an all-aluminum body. The SP1000M includes 128GB of internal memory with one microSD card slot supporting additional memory (largest microSD cards currently available in retail are 512GB, which are supported).

Additional features of the A&ultima SP1000M include support of native playback of 32-bit/384kHz high-resolution PCM audio and native playback of DSD audio, up to Quad-rate (DSD256), 4.2Vrms Balanced output, VCXO Reference Clock (Femto Clock) for minimal jitter, Wi-Fi connectivity, support for the AK Connect app, USB DAC function, DLNA networking support, OTA software updates, digital audio output via USB, apt X HD Bluetooth, and support for high-resolution music streaming services including TIDAL, MOOV and Groovers+ (support for streaming services varies by country).

New firmware will debut with the SP1000M that adds Android APK support, allowing users to install additional music streaming services to their player by simply copying and installing the corresponding APK file for the music service they wish to add.
Reading the specs, the SP1000 has an optical output, as does the AK320, which I sometimes connect to a Hugo2, but the SP1000M does not have this output. For $2400 this is, in my opinion, a significant omission that is not addressed in the marketing materials.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #23 of 167
That looks so sexy!

Just a shame that the smaller form factor also reduces battery life a bit. I really want to upgrade from my AK70 and one of the main reasons (apart from wanting a step up in sq) is that I need to charge it every other day, sometimes daily because I use it so much. Maybe I need to save up for all three. One for on-the-go and one for home listening while another one is charging... Think my wife will buy that line of reasoning? :D

Mmm...go for it. In my experience, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than obtaining the wifey’s consent. Splurge. :ksc75smile::deadhorse:

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #24 of 167

Mm...a couple of years ago, I used APK leecher to download the Tidal app from the Google Play Store because the app was geolocked to the US market (I live outside US at that time). I enabled third party app installation on my Onkyo DPX1 and Sony ZX2 (both on Android OS) then installed the tidal app.

Since porting the AK to a PC laptop via USB enables access to the files of the internal memory, it should be easy to copy and paste the downloaded APK to the appropriate folder and install the third party streaming app like Spotify etc.

In sum:

1. Use APK leecher (or similar) on an Android device to download the third party streaming app (installation package) from the Google Play Store.

2. Transfer the installation package on a USB stick via OTG cable.

3. Copy the installation package on a PC.

4. Connect the AK player to PC laptop.

5. Copy the installation package from laptop to appropriate folder of the AK player.

6. Install on AK device.

Speculation on my part.

I am puzzled why AK has to use APK and Google Play Store. Why did they not just add more streaming music apps on its Store and spare us the trouble? As far as I am concerned, only Deezer and Spotify are worthy additions to the Store.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #25 of 167
I am puzzled why AK has to use APK and Google Play Store. Why did they not just add more streaming music apps on its Store and spare us the trouble? As far as I am concerned, only Deezer and Spotify are worthy additions to the Store.

Probably cost.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #26 of 167
It dépend probably of the deal passed between AK and Tidal. This one perhaps doesn’t allow AK to included others streaming music app in their OS. Remember that until 2015 Qobuz was included in AK OS. It has been removed in 2015 and Qobuz said that it was because of the Tidal deal passed with AK.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #28 of 167
Mm...the better battery life, the larger screen, bigger internal memory and optical out = usd 1K premium difference. Don’t underestimate the bigger screen real estate. I’ve handled all 3 SP 1000 models. It is joy to use and vastly superior to my AK380 cu (same size as the M), in terms of navigating.

What attracts me to the M aside from the reduced price is stackability. I have a number of portable amps, including the Chord Hugo 2, and the light weight and smaller size of the M makes it easier to stack (and carry) than the full-sized SP1K.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #29 of 167
Mm...the better battery life, the larger screen, bigger internal memory and optical out = usd 1K premium difference. Don’t underestimate the bigger screen real estate. I’ve handled all 3 SP 1000 models. It is joy to use and vastly superior to my AK380 cu (same size as the M), in terms of navigating.

What attracts me to the M aside from the reduced price is stackability. I have a number of portable amps, including the Chord Hugo 2, and the light weight and smaller size of the M makes it easier to stack (and carry) than the full-sized SP1K.
Is there a way to connect the M to the Hugo 2? Since the M doesn't have the optical out will a USB connection between the two work?

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #30 of 167
Through the USB yes of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back