Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Apr 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #376 of 1,190
I have big holes and usually use the L of any iem,ie800 is an exception, M is enough and all it takes is to put them in without readjusting further.

I initially struggled with the T8,tried Comply to see if better and once more i convinced myself they're a waste of money, yes they are comfy, but get sqashed far too many times and seal gets less and less good,somehow bass is always less for me with those.
So i went back to these funny shapped stock things and tho best bass and sound i got out of was Jvc L spirals,they keep the T8s out of the ear hole more than any other tip.
Stock ones is what i settled for tho since i get same bass but more space and there's no special insertion required other then twisting them in till you get that sub..

Here's a pic, longer side of the tips should be away from you

I have tried M, L and XL and putting the tips both ways around and while XL gets the closest to a seal, the magnitude of bass level change when gently pushing the IEM while in my ear from behind towards the front of my ear is still significant. Whereas with the comply tips, the bass level is consistent and pressing and pushing the IEM at different angles while in my ear makes no difference whatsoever. So in my case at least, it seems to be comply tips or nothing and send them back.

I have used AKG K3003i's with default silicone tips without issue but they are round rather than oval.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #377 of 1,190
All ears very different of course,tho there should be a little common ground like in the spiral dots or comply's cases.
If you try the T8 stocks again make sure the long side is fitted away from the face, as in facing your nose direction.
Still can't upload a photo:smirk:

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #378 of 1,190
Could t8ie owners confirm the congested sound DavidMolliere heard on his set before returning them?

Also, in terms of treble clarity and treble extension, could folks compare them to their top-tier iem/ciems please?

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #379 of 1,190
Been using comply foam with the T8ie for the last few months, always felt the treble extension is lacking. Based on a friends advice I installed the stock plastic tips and gee the highs r back! Now I am in love with them again...

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #380 of 1,190
Been using comply foam with the T8ie for the last few months, always felt the treble extension is lacking. Based on a friends advice I installed the stock plastic tips and gee the highs r back! Now I am in love with them again...

Are you sure that is not a perception due to the stronger bass when using comply tips? I thought the same at first and then tried a piece of music with only mid and treble and found they sounded pretty much the same with silicone or comply tips.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #381 of 1,190
Are you sure that is not a perception due to the stronger bass when using comply tips? I thought the same at first and then tried a piece of music with only mid and treble and found they sounded pretty much the same with silicone or comply tips.

I am sure abt that guess the problem caused by using the wrong sized silicone tips, now I got it right and indeed the treble side is more open. With comply I always thot something is missing.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #382 of 1,190
You are absolutely right! I have exchange my T8iE 3 times... And I'm not sure my 2 pairs of T8iE are trouble free or not, and AK has no idea about which batch (serial numbers) has the connection issue. They have no plan to recall the T8iE, and waiting for us to bring it back with this kind of headache and painful process. As a long term user of AK, I'm extremely disappointed! That's why I would say AK is not a hi-end audiophile brand, except super high price + "special" edition expert! 

I believe AK has refused to exchange yours in doubt for one from recent batches.

It is a shame that the way they run business almost kills this nice product. And whether the build quality (design flaw?) is improved is still a myth. Need more fedbacks on the recent ones.

I was expecting Beyer to introduce their own version of T8ie, but now I completely lose faith in both companies.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #384 of 1,190
To folks having trouble with the stock tips, just make sure the size alphabets on the tips, and logo on the earphone are both in the readable position, then combine. See picture.

If fit is still an issue, try NOT to install the tips all the way down, half way installation makes bigger enclosure, shown as picture.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #385 of 1,190

Comply tips are always my last choice for mid-low centric or balanced earphones like T8ie. To me, they absorb some treble extension and details, which is especially obvious when listening to classical music. However, sibilant, highly analytical earphones like Ocharaku's do employ Comply foam tips as stock to balance down their clinical tuning.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #386 of 1,190
Comply tips are always my last choice for mid-low centric or balanced earphones like T8ie. To me, they absorb some treble extension and details, which is especially obvious when listening to classical music. However, sibilant, highly analytical earphones like Ocharaku's do employ Comply foam tips as stock to balance down their clinical tuning.

Totally agree... Comply is good for my Roxanne 2 which is on the bright side

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #387 of 1,190
To folks having trouble with the stock tips, just make sure the size alphabets on the tips, and logo on the earphone are both in the readable position, then combine. See picture.

If fit is still an issue, try NOT to install the tips all the way down, half way installation makes bigger enclosure, shown as picture.

I tried the extended tip idea but as soon as I try pushing them into my ear they slide down. I still can't understand why this is the first IEM where I am having problems with the tips! When you insert them into your ear, do you just push them straight in, or do you start with them rotated and then twist them into position? I might do some more experiments with twisting them in from different directions.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #388 of 1,190
I tried the extended tip idea but as soon as I try pushing them into my ear they slide down. I still can't understand why this is the first IEM where I am having problems with the tips! When you insert them into your ear, do you just push them straight in, or do you start with them rotated and then twist them into position? I might do some more experiments with twisting them in from different directions.

Just push them straight in

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #389 of 1,190
Could t8ie owners confirm the congested sound DavidMolliere heard on his set before returning them?

Also, in terms of treble clarity and treble extension, could folks compare them to their top-tier iem/ciems please?

If I can guess your taste T8iE is right there in your territory. Considering the past headache I had with it end of the day it is a very engaging, easy to wear and fatigue free dynamic driver I have tried, and I do love my dynamic drivers.

Please give it a go if you can. 

As far as the treble extension goes it is very extended but it does not stand out the same way it does on ER4B, it makes Er4b sound less coherence. It is truly a dynamic driver done nicely. Where is suffers is the soundstage which can give the impression of congestion, which is only obvious when one switches from the T8iE to something like the EX-1000. Honestly but what iem doesnt sound congested compared to ex1000 soundstage? I would not call T8iE congested, instrument do stand out, it is layered nicely and I am sure if the designer wanted to sacrifise on noise isolation and added some breading bore the sound would have opened up but it would not be ideal for commuting. 

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #390 of 1,190
By the way i forgot, I just got in contact with PW Audio regarding after market cable, he told me he will be purchasing the T8iE for his own personal collection and will look into making T8iE custom cable, crossing my figures to see what he can come up with. I am a believer in his work. I wanted to purchase the crystal cable for the T8iE but it is crazy money, it cost as much as the T8iE. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back