Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #362 of 1,190
Got my RMA unit today. The serial number is 17xxx, if it's as promised by A&K manager, it should come from the improved batch. Also this time on the outside packaging, there is a green dot sticker. HK distributor said the sticker only appears on a RMA unit to signify that it had gone through reinspection by Beyer. Anyways, hope you folks won't hear from me again except for impressions.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #363 of 1,190
Yeah hopefully this will be the end of it, I'm really itching to put custom cables on it but this whole incident has me put into a paranoid state where I try my best not to touch the joint.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #364 of 1,190
  I bought mine only yesterday from Selfridges London, they told me they've had no returns so far. The serial number is with a 4...

Are the European serial numbers formulated totally differently? Mine starts E40979

I can't figure out how this translates to the numbers being mentioned in this thread.

EDIT: Figured it out. There is a different serial number on the side of the IEM itself. 11xxx , so not looking too good.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #366 of 1,190
I asked my local dealer and he told me there is no recall and if there is any issue I should bring it back. Perhaps a proper recall is what they need than waiting for people unit to fail and than having them go thru the headache, in particular where the unit might die weeks after the end of the warranty period. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #367 of 1,190
  I asked my local dealer and he told me there is no recall and if there is any issue I should bring it back. Perhaps a proper recall is what they need than waiting for people unit to fail and than having them go thru the headache, in particular where the unit might die weeks after the end of the warranty period. 

You are absolutely right! I have exchange my T8iE 3 times... And I'm not sure my 2 pairs of T8iE are trouble free or not, and AK has no idea about which batch (serial numbers) has the connection issue. They have no plan to recall the T8iE, and waiting for us to bring it back with this kind of headache and painful process. As a long term user of AK, I'm extremely disappointed! That's why I would say AK is not a hi-end audiophile brand, except super high price + "special" edition expert! 

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #368 of 1,190

Whenever there is a defect in any product, unless such defect is life-threatening, manufacturers will prefer to wait for consumers to lodge a claim and offer an exchange rather than to recall the product.  Recalling a product will always prove to be much more expensive than dealing with sporadic claims; especially when the percentage of failure is not significant.

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #369 of 1,190
I have been struggling to get a good fitting so far. I may have to return to Amazon. If I do, I will hygienically clean the tips I used, but can anyone remember if it was medium or small that came on them from the start?

Also am I right to think the long flange side of the tips is what goes into "free air" and the shorter flange side touches the back of the driver shell? I assume it must be that way around because with the large tip, if the longer side is touching the back it covers the L and R markings.

Sound is most definitely changing in the first couple of hours even.....surprising really as it's the first IEM I have had where any change is so dramatic.....

Still worried that a 11xxx serial can't be a good one but in my efforts to find good fit, I have been pushing, pulling over and over and over......

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #370 of 1,190
  I have been struggling to get a good fitting so far. I may have to return to Amazon. If I do, I will hygienically clean the tips I used, but can anyone remember if it was medium or small that came on them from the start?

Also am I right to think the long flange side of the tips is what goes into "free air" and the shorter flange side touches the back of the driver shell? I assume it must be that way around because with the large tip, if the longer side is touching the back it covers the L and R markings.

Sound is most definitely changing in the first couple of hours even.....surprising really as it's the first IEM I have had where any change is so dramatic.....

Still worried that a 11xxx serial can't be a good one but in my efforts to find good fit, I have been pushing, pulling over and over and over......

No the longer ones cover the housing, you could try the included comply too.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #371 of 1,190

No the longer ones cover the housing, you could try the included comply too.

Ah..to help make sure there is a seal at that area...I get it.

I tried the comply one and it is much much better.....although it takes longer to put the IEMs in and out of my ears. And I am also afraid it puts greater stress on whatever it is that is breaking in these IEMs. Having said that, I have yanked, pulled and prodded them for the best part of a day and so far they are fine.

Has anyone that gets a good enough fit/seal with the stock tips, compared the sound with the comply? As I was struggling to get a good seal, obviously the bass level has gone up a notch with the comply tips.

I don't see any ambient port/hole on these IEMs, so I assume the "right" sound, is a perfect seal and the comply tips shouldn't be taking anything away from the intended sound. Because the bass is stronger I feel the treble is less defined...at least I assume that's why I hear it that way.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #372 of 1,190
I use stock tips and I didn't even change from the original ones that is in place, fits so snuggly, best isolation since SE215 for me cause I used IE800 and MDR-EX1000 before.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #373 of 1,190
  I use stock tips and I didn't even change from the original ones that is in place, fits so snuggly, best isolation since SE215 for me cause I used IE800 and MDR-EX1000 before.

I must have funny shaped lug-holes :) Seriously though, this is the first IEM where I have struggled to this extent. It may have something to do with the oval shaped silicone tips and my ear holes are just not shaped that way!

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #374 of 1,190
I must have funny shaped lug-holes :) Seriously though, this is the first IEM where I have struggled to this extent. It may have something to do with the oval shaped silicone tips and my ear holes are just not shaped that way!

I have big holes and usually use the L of any iem,ie800 is an exception, M is enough and all it takes is to put them in without readjusting further.

I initially struggled with the T8,tried Comply to see if better and once more i convinced myself they're a waste of money, yes they are comfy, but get sqashed far too many times and seal gets less and less good,somehow bass is always less for me with those.
So i went back to these funny shapped stock things and tho best bass and sound i got out of was Jvc L spirals,they keep the T8s out of the ear hole more than any other tip.
Stock ones is what i settled for tho since i get same bass but more space and there's no special insertion required other then twisting them in till you get that sub..

Here's a pic, longer side of the tips should be away from you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back