Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Jun 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #586 of 1,190
Im using the silicone tips that were on the IEM's out of the box...
What do you recommend?

In general, I'd recommend using tips that seal quite well, but with no feeling of suction (which prevents the driver and also one's eardrum from moving properly). Whichever tips do that are the right ones, the seal is more important than the tip used. You could try the jvc spiral dot tips, as they are popular, for example (assuming they fit, which one of the tk8ie owners can confirm).

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #587 of 1,190
I called up the shop I got my T8iE on Wednesday asking for an update. I was told that they will get an update by 48 hours and call me back. They never called me back, I was in the area so I thought I better call them up. Upon doing so I was told to expect a 2.5-3 months waiting as last time when they had to send a unit back for repair that is how long it took.

Funny when I was giving mine for repair, and when i told them about how this particular model seem to have a bad batch I was told I am the first one who have said that and my unit is the only one so far coming back for repair. 

If it is truly taking this long, waiting 2-3 months for a repair I cannot recommend T8iE. Imagine wasting three months of warranty waiting for it to be repaired. I bought my unit from addictedtoaudio. Thought to share it with you guys.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #588 of 1,190
  I called up the shop I got my T8iE on Wednesday asking for an update. I was told that they will get an update by 48 hours and call me back. They never called me back, I was in the area so I thought I better call them up. Upon doing so I was told to expect a 2.5-3 months waiting as last time when they had to send a unit back for repair that is how long it took.

Funny when I was giving mine for repair, and when i told them about how this particular model seem to have a bad batch I was told I am the first one who have said that and my unit is the only one so far coming back for repair. 

If it is truly taking this long, waiting 2-3 months for a repair I cannot recommend T8iE. Imagine wasting three months of warranty waiting for it to be repaired. I bought my unit from addictedtoaudio. Thought to share it with you guys.

I bought mine a few days ago and the there are some ridges on the left housing. But not on the right. Looks like a manufacturing imperfection. Pretty awful to have these issues for such an expensive IEM.
What other IEM's would you recommend?

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #589 of 1,190
Mmmm....can you post a pic of the ridges? Mine is smooth as a well-worn pebble surface. Flawlesss. There is a raised dot on the right earpiece which I assume is a visual cue to make cable attachment easier and without the necessity of looking at the printed R and L.

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #590 of 1,190
  Mmmm....can you post a pic of the ridges? Mine is smooth as a well-worn pebble surface. Flawlesss. There is a raised dot on the right earpiece which I assume is a visual cue to make cable attachment easier and without the necessity of looking at the printed R and L.

Yes, so does mine. It has the raised dot.

I realized that due to the ergonomic shape, if you try to wear the Left earpiece into your Right ear and vice versa, it doesn't fit.

So just switch them around. Faster process than crawling to turn on the lights to check or if you're doing something else at that moment.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #591 of 1,190

I have returned mine...you can see the ridges here just where the two parts of the housing join together. Not acceptable at all. With all the QC issues around these IEMS im not sure i would get these again. On top of that the build quality was sub par and they felt very cheaply made in my opinion.
What to buy now? Shure SE846? Sennheiser IE800?

Opinions please!

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #592 of 1,190
Mmm....oh I see. i have that as well on mine. It is by design and not a manufacturing issue  since the housing/shell  is not one but a two-piece shell.  My guess is it was done that way to make it easier to repair the unit and, perhaps,  to  make manufacturing easier.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #594 of 1,190
Mmm....it is on both earpiece. Other iems with two-piece shells are the shure SE 846, shure kse 1500, rhapsodio rt1i, noble 6 and 8 (universal, where the faceplates joins the shell) and the final audio design piano forte ix. I checked wth my bright led flaslhlight.

edit: just so I understand your concern, is the gap between the two pieces of the shell of your right earpiece UNEVEN? I checked mine again very carefully with a magnifying glass and the conjoined pieces are perfect as far as my eyes are concerned. The minute gap are perfectly aligned.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #595 of 1,190
They are hand made (to a degree), so we cannot think of them as factory where no individuality can be found. 

I have not found any in ear headphones to match the perfection of these, which led me to take the risk others have taken, considering that German manufacturing's reputation with Beyerdynamic would prevail.  I even bought a second pair as my wife loved them.  She has mild adult autism and cannot bear anything intrusive in her ears (it took her weeks to adjust from a well known DAC to Mojo, as the sensory overload of more data caused dizziness and headaches; now, she is hooked and wants her own), and has tried so many. Once the fit is made and the seal in place, the soundstage and definition of the Tesla is second to none.  

I believe the construction is top quality, yet something went wrong in some manufacturing, and without admitting culpability, they have rectified it as enough of us and enough sellers have said "no issues" or "no returns."

The delay stinks, which only reminds us just how special this sound is.  I have come to prefer these above my 2nd generation Beyerdynamic T1s.  

This has been, perhaps, my most nervous purchase in life and for me to be given a refund and then to turn around and buy another pair is something I would never have guessed I would do.  It is just not my nature.  

It has worked out, and this is why I understand Gus' frustration but also his desire to get back the T8's rather than buy something else.  

I wonder if a 'hand slip' in sealing the two parts took place to give that mark.  Knowing it is under warranty, I don't know if I would have returned them for that reason.  Having said that, I wear glasses and am not interested in the look so much, except to love the low profile.  I don't like the idea of some blaring red or blue color protruding from my ears, in public.  

Obviously it is a personal decision and depending on how much these stretched your budget, the fear is real and it is justified by the experiences of those here.  This must be weighed against both the warranty and the sound quality.  

As to what else to try...if you loved the sound and don't want to try another pair, I know that I looked into "Angie" and Ultimate Ears Pro as well as 64 audio.  I want that "clean" sound.  

Egypt, I hope you find a pair you love and can forget about while enjoying your music.  

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #596 of 1,190
I am missing my T8iE so much. I had a chance to borrow my friends unit, just so to see if I have to rethink on keeping the T8 despite my recent kerfuffle with the seller, I still do like the T8 a lot. I just have to wait and on the other hand I will not judge anyone who is not willing to be as patient as some of us here when it comes to T8. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #597 of 1,190
For me guys it's also about quality control and manufacturing.
It's unacceptable to have these imperfections in a thousand dollar iem.
If you bought any other item at this price and found imperfections you would not be happy.
My point is these look like casting marks. To me they feel very flimsy and the cable is pretty poor.
I bought them despite the issues mentioned in this thread. But now after having owned them they just seem far too flimsy.
My aerial number was beginning 10xxx.
I'm swaying towards the ie800. My friend who owns most high end iems and headphones rated them very highly. I think they will pair well with the mojo.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #598 of 1,190
If you bought any other item at this price and found imperfections you would not be happy.
My point is these look like casting marks. To me they feel very flimsy and the cable is pretty poor.
I bought them despite the issues mentioned in this thread. But now after having owned them they just seem far too flimsy.
I'm swaying towards the ie800. My friend who owns most high end iems and headphones rated them very highly. I think they will pair well with the mojo.

If you can, give a few other models a try.  My thinking is that if you loved the T8 sound, you would do well to find things that are considered similar.  There are also some other good suggestions above in the posts including the Noble and others.  I think that a number of these will be similar in price and you may get the sound you're after!  

The Mojo thread and "search" will also be of use.  I think people have found ie800 to be a fine match.  

UPDATE:  New and marvelous review of the Kaiser in ear monitors is up today.  Give it a look; the writer's enthusiasm is fun to read.  

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #599 of 1,190
The left side of my T8ie died again for no apparent reason. I stuffed it inside a pelican case with some silica gel and take care of it like a baby. I never even took the MMCX off except for once when I swapped it with the 2.5mm TRRS. Well thanks for the ride Beyer&AK, I'll be having a trip to Oregon and looks like I'll be jumping ship to Andromeda. When I do get the unit back after RMA, i'll be sure to sell it ASAP. It was a very nice IEM but the hassle and time it takes for me to bear with QC is just too much.

I have IE800 as a spare to this, just get ready for some fitting problem. It is the other side of the coin for T8ie, the sound is more engaging but fatiguing and more sub-bass is present.

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #600 of 1,190
mmm.....sorry to hear that. I hope these manufacturing/quality control issues are not widespread. I'm a worry wart by nature. Reading your post (and others) is beginning to creep me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back