Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Dec 3, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #154 of 1,190
Looks great sounds small, small bass, small mids, small treble.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #155 of 1,190
I think the quantity is masked because it has a forward tonality, that is coming out of ipod touch.

Plug it into something like Hugo it scales up. From Hugo it sounds like a closed back headphone or supaural headphone like es10.

Bass is very fast and I find the overall sound natural with no treble roll-off.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #156 of 1,190
+1 they sound anything but small, but it's not easy to find a good fit. The orginal silicon tips can isolate great but didn't sit tight, gives at the beginning a feeling that they don't fit well. You need to invest some time to find the right tips.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #157 of 1,190
+1 they sound anything but small, but it's not easy to find a good fit. The orginal silicon tips can isolate great but didn't sit tight, gives at the beginning a feeling that they don't fit well. You need to invest some time to find the right tips.
This set cost 999 Euro, but some needs new cable and other tips, strange actually, at this pricepoint one should expect a near to perfect product, or do they set the price this high to get attention of the audiophile community?

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #158 of 1,190
Everyone has different flavors what he likes or not, some like sports cars other limousine. One will spend
300'000 usd for a Bentley and find it's price point realistic the other feels like a king driving a old Seat. The
near perfect product simply didn't exist and stands more for the idea of personal flavours; that can be a Seat
or a Bentley. Questions like "what is the best DAP in the world" simply can't answered correct because that.
Thats not strange, that are personal preferences. But yes :wink:,  the tips they desinged aren't the greatest
archievement. The cable is fine, it's strong made, i like that it's soft and thin.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #159 of 1,190

Yes, because of their size fit may be bad but not apparently so because they still don't fall out...
With the right size of ups (and I like the oval originals very much) they sound anything but small. Really good in fact.

The cable is fine to me, if only it would not coil up after being stored in the case for some days. Otherwise it's fine, easy to fit and light.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #160 of 1,190
I am slowly getting obssessed with them. I have asked my friend to come over and take some picture with his fancy DSLR else I will post my pictures taken by my phone later. I do hope people try them, with the right cable this think shine. 

They are very engaging without causing fatigue. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #162 of 1,190
This set cost 999 Euro, but some needs new cable and other tips, strange actually, at this pricepoint one should expect a near to perfect product, or do they set the price this high to get attention of the audiophile community?

The reality is with anything above the ~$700 price point the designers expect purchasers (most of them die-hard head-fiers) would swap everything anyway so why bother throwing in a deluxe cable and prem tips? Think it's almost a fact that the best tips out there are the ortofons and JVC spiral dots, both of which come from iems costing a fraction of that price point.

I do give credit to beyer for the T8 tips: although they doesn't work out for me, at least it is something that's designed with heart not just copycat or off-the-shelf tips.

For me, at least right now, the JVC spiral dots (again) works best. Seals well, comfy, looks like it conforms to the oval shape opening of the T8 really well, and sounds extremely close to the properly fitted stock tips. SpinFit tips seals well and are comfy but, again, they tends to alter the sound quite a bit.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #165 of 1,190
I compared they the last days. I own the SE846 since they came out and find them a milestone in balanced iem design. The sound made
out of 4 drivers is stunnig, but, and that you need to take with some reserve because its only my opinion is the multi balanced driver
design. For me the multi balanced driver design has two challenges, first not sounding sharp and to studio like and the second part are
the crossover frequency.

Balanced driver sounds very detailed and speedy because of their nature, thats great, but i think at the crossover frequency two (or more)
different drivers work in parallel with different character/response rate, for me the result are problems in the three dimensional reproduction
/soundstage and at the crossover frequency loss of details.

The SE846 are great because the sound natural, even if they are speedy. Against the T8iE they not so coherent, the Shure are more
prominent in some parts of the sound, the T8iE is uniforme, a little bump in the bass part (like the Fostex TH-900). The T8iE are fast for
dynamic drivers but not as fast as the SE846, they never pierce your ear. Whats great about the T8iE is that they fast down the very low
bass. The soundstage of the SE846 is small vs the T8iE, the three dimonsional reproduction ist limited with the SE846, the T8iE are here
very well for small iem. I think the Shure can deliver more details as the AK. For a dynamic driver the T8iE is superb with his details, only
the Piano Forte X which i own delivers here more (but is limited in his frequency range - thats why i buyed the T8iE as addition and second
because its a closed design).

I like the AK more then the Shure because even if they not deliver the highest detail/speed they hold the music together and didn't deconstruct
it. If you like the SE846 and want go to the next step the Noble K10 are great, i have them since a year and they do better then the SE846.
But both the Shure and the Noble sounds for me more like sitting in the studio or sometimes in the microphone (and yes the K10 don't sound
techie, its a smal thing thats irritates me sometimes). But if you think sometimes "uh this is a bad recording" or "this chello is tuned wrong" and
want back into listening to music and not analyze it go for the AK T8iE.

Or keep both, so you can choose in what mood you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back